Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 for under $800 ???

Feedback Score
    I bought a used Springfield loaded stainless that had some work done to it, trigger job, magwell, etc.. and I added Dawson sights to it
    great gun and I love it

I also got the Wilson Specops and it's definitely a tighter, more refined gun but they are also a lot more money of course
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    IMHO it is very difficult to beat a SA GI for a great base gun. If you just want it for shits and giggles for the range, it should fill that role with no problem. If you want to build a proper duty 1911 it will also serve that role well also.

This coming from a Colt guy...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks guys.
    I think Im gonna start with a SA GI and build it from there.

Ive always wanted a 1911, and after watching "Public Enemies", I was really sold

Feedback Score
    one thing though, the GI won't allow you to easily put in an aftermarket sight for example without having to have the slide modified

that drives up costs

on a range, target or gaming gun having an adjustable rear sight is important

the STI comes ready to go

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...000-1161707138
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you wanted inexpensive you could buy a Rock Island Armory. I believe they are around 400 new. Made by Armscor in the Philippines.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiesketti View Post
    If you wanted inexpensive you could buy a Rock Island Armory. I believe they are around 400 new. Made by Armscor in the Philippines.
    I've got one of these myself. It's nothing special, but it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, it eats anything I decide to feed it, and it came straight from the box shooting POA/POI at 25 yards. I simply bought it because I thought I needed a .45 to add to my vast 9mm collection.

They're built to the 1945 standards, ie:

-no beavertail
    -no skeleton hammer
    -USGI sights
    -minimal markings
    -smooth grips (I put checkered wood on mine)

My slide is tight, the trigger has a nice pull to it and breaks great, and it cycles well. For a low-end .45 for simple range use, you can't beat it.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think you can get a Springfield Loaded for under 800 or at least right around it.

When you start looking at 1911's you are going to think, oh a base model GI will be OK. Then you go, hey look at what the Mil-Spec has for just xxx more dollars, I would probably want that/do that eventually anyway and its cheaper to get it from the factory. Then you are gonna go, shit, look what the Loaded has over the Mil-Spec for only xxx more dollars and I would want that eventually anyway and its cheaper from the factory.

That is exactly what I did. The GI was to basic for me, the Mil-Spec had lots of good stuff on it, but then I looked at the Loaded and thought, well I am going to do all of those things eventually anyway so why not just spend the money now vs. later. I think when I did the math, just buying the gun the way I wanted it the first time vs. buying a Mil-Spec and upgrading saved about 50% or so over the cost of the parts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I think you can get a Springfield Loaded for under 800 or at least right around it.

When you start looking at 1911's you are going to think, oh a base model GI will be OK. Then you go, hey look at what the Mil-Spec has for just xxx more dollars, I would probably want that/do that eventually anyway and its cheaper to get it from the factory. Then you are gonna go, shit, look what the Loaded has over the Mil-Spec for only xxx more dollars and I would want that eventually anyway and its cheaper from the factory.

That is exactly what I did. The GI was to basic for me, the Mil-Spec had lots of good stuff on it, but then I looked at the Loaded and thought, well I am going to do all of those things eventually anyway so why not just spend the money now vs. later. I think when I did the math, just buying the gun the way I wanted it the first time vs. buying a Mil-Spec and upgrading saved about 50% or so over the cost of the parts.

agreed, and that was my point above
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccoker View Post
    one thing though, the GI won't allow you to easily put in an aftermarket sight for example without having to have the slide modified

that drives up costs

on a range, target or gaming gun having an adjustable rear sight is important

the STI comes ready to go

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...000-1161707138
    That is where top tier 1911 smiths come into play.

If you are going to build a duty gun, from a base pistol the refinish is actually one of the benefits of the build and the cost should already be factored into your build specs...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast