Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quikclot for First Aid in Survival Situation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think you need an array of QC. Get the QC gauze.

Some of the best prices for the mil gauze can be found on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUICK-CLOT-COMBA...item3cac4a248c
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score

I Used Quikclot in Mexico !

I was in Mexico a couple of weeks ago on a fishing trip with some buddies and we caught a few Dolphin that make great eating. While we were fileting them, one of the guys slashed the meat of his hand. It was a very deep, severe cut and we were nowhere near any kind of medical facility. Fortunately, I keep a pretty extensive first-aid kit in the go bag in my truck. I first tried to get the bleeding controlled with regular gauze and pressure, but it was just too much. I have some Quikclot Sport pads too and I grabbed one of them and put pressure on the pad into the wound. The bleeding stopped within a few minutes ! We put on some butterflies to close it up and wrapped it. We were in a small village south of San Carlos when this happened and it took us a couple of hours to find a medico where they took a whole bunch of stitches to take care of the cut, gave him an antibiotic shot and sent us on our way. The guy at the medico was amazed that we got the bleeding stopped before we got to him. He had never heard of Quikclot, so I gave him my last package. Now I have to order some for replacement !!
    I am a little bit of a fanatic about emergency prep and regard my first-aid kit somewhere just behind a handgun for bad situations. It is the kind of thing that you don't need very often, but when you do need it, you need it badly !!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was never thrilled with the Quick Clot Powder, Now there are several alternatives, which would be best for general carry and self application, Gauze roll, Trauma pad or Sponge (25,50 or 100 size)

Feedback Score

Quikclot for Go Bag

I would suggest that you contact the Z-Medica customer service dept.. Go to their website, Z-Medica.com and you should find contact info. I don't think they sell Combat Gauze to the civilian, non-medical professional market, but it can't hurt to ask.

I keep a bunch of Quikclot Sport packs in my kit and have not had a reason to escalate beyond two pads to handle a big bleed. I haven't had to deal with anything of the nature you see in battle, but have had a couple of occasions where I had to assist with very bad gashes. The Quikclot Sport worked great each time.

I think there might be interest on this site for some of the military-use products, so it could be of value if you post your findings from Z-Medica.

Feedback Score
    We always issued our guys a tampon cut in half to carry in their tac vests in case a medic wasn't available with the QC! They actually work great on bullet wounds!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeross506 View Post
    We always issued our guys a tampon cut in half to carry in their tac vests in case a medic wasn't available with the QC! They actually work great on bullet wounds!
    +1. British Army trick also.

Way back, when Centurion was a rank, we were taught that if we could not get enough field dressings to use tampons or sanitary towels. Rule of thumb was that a sanitary towel should soak up a pint of the red stuff.

Feedback Score
    It's amazing what a little ingenuity will allow for. lol

Feedback Score

Hemostat Collagen

I was fortunate enough to run into a guy selling Hemostat Collagen... I didn't ask how he had got it but I definitely bought some. Anyway, I told one of my Corpsman buddies about med bags (or as I call it my "shooter repair kit") and he told me to get rid of my quik clot powder. Something along the lines of being too hard to clean out of the wound and getting too hot. I can't quite remember what the reasoning behind it was because I wasn't paying attention.

Apparently if I get shot while out hunting, or shooting and need to stop the bleeding quik clot is a no no in the civilian world.... The guaze and such is a different story.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBru View Post
    Apparently if I get shot while out hunting, or shooting and need to stop the bleeding quik clot is a no no in the civilian world.... The guaze and such is a different story.
    QuikClot is quite widely used in Civvyland. The old powdered stuff, however, should be gone forever.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    From your site:

NOTICE: Purchase of QuikClot Combat Gauze is restricted to military, law enforcement, fire, EMS or qualified medical personnel only. Proof of affiliation may be required at time of purchase.
    Well, that's not much help...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast