Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any runners on here? need shoe recommendations/advice

Feedback Score

Any runners on here? need shoe recommendations/advice

I've looked around online and seen and learned many different things, but I wanted to see the opinions of the M4C crowd that runs.

To prepare for the Navy, I went out and bought two pairs of dedicated running shoes. A pair of the Nike Shoxs 9 SL, and a pair of some new balance running. the Nike Shox were meant for hard surface running only ( concrete, asphalt etc) and the New Balance were sort of my all rounders ( I wore those to my SpecWar PT sessions, which involved track running, grass/dirt/sand and those were often times wet)

Now that I've been running in them for some time, I noticed that the front of my lower leg really hurts. Not just the shin, but in particular the muscle that is on either side of the shin. It's to the point where after running a little more than a mile and a half, as soon as I stop running I start limping really badly and my lower legs are throbbing. I stop limping less than an hour afterwards, but my lower leg still hurts pretty darn good for another 2 days or so, and the pain gets much worse as soon as i try to run again within those two days.

Both pairs of my shoes were bought at Macdill AFB,so there was no staff to assist in finding the right product, and stupid me figured, " shoes are shoes", so I just bought a pair that felt comfy for 2 minutes and was happy about it.

I soon find out that I am an overpronator, which means that I'm rather flatfooted and my foot tends to rotate inwards (think blade of each foot, so left side of left foot in). I also find out that both pairs of shoes are for runners that have a neutral or slighty underpronated(??) gait.
    Needless to say I'm sure that wasn't helping me wearing the shoes that are making my less-than optimal gait even worse.

So I'm asking :for those of you either flatfooted or have a over-pronated gait, which running shoe would you recommend/works for you?

From what I've read, the Brooks Beast are great shoes for exactly my problems, but I wanted to see if anyone has something else to say/add/recommend.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/media/p...s/1100521D.pdf
    http://www.brooksrunning.com/product...D/123202/Beast

PS ( I know it sounds like I've already made up my mind, but no, I haven't) I just want to make sure I'm buying what I need, I don't want to spend another 200 dollars on exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

All the best,

Steindor
    Last edited by tampam4; 02-04-10 at 00:22. Reason: its overPRONATE, not oversupinate (facepalm)
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    I used to use the beast for stability. Now I use NB 768, it's a better shoe for me. "www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com"

You are stretching right? When I first started I would forget and I would be punished.

Consider posting your question on a running forum.
    Last edited by rdc0000; 02-04-10 at 00:01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rdc0000 View Post
    I used to use the beast for stability. Now I use NB 768, it's a better shoe for me. "www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com"

You are stretching right? When I first started I would forget and I would be punished.

Consider posting your question on a running forum.

I'm actually the only one in the group who really does stretching, both before exercising as well as afterwards.

I took a look at the NB 768, but did not see if it is designed for those who overpronate.

I have no idea why I didn't think of posting this on a running forum. for the past few weeks M4C has been the only forum!
    Last edited by tampam4; 02-04-10 at 00:21.
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I wear Brooks Adrenaline 10's. You can't go wrong with Brooks they make great shoes. And the fact that I have ankles like a 5 year old and haven't rolled them like every other shoe that i've worn makes me feel good about Brook's support.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I highly recommend you find a running store in your area. They should have you run without shoes on and determine which shoes will work best for you. Forget about any brands for now and let them pick them.

There's a running store at the International Mall (at the end of Westshore) next to the new Italian restaurant.

They should be able to get you set up.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What M4arc said. and once you get set up in the shoes and try them on the road, go back and buy several pairs in your size because the goddamn shoe companies always seem to stop making whatever works best.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I read a post on Kyle Defoor's blog a while back that talked about how to run and what type of shoe works best for him. I would suggest reading it before you spent any money on more shoes.
    Last edited by R.P.; 02-04-10 at 07:54.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.P. View Post
    I read a post on Kyle Defoor's blog a while back that talked about how to run and what type of shoe works best for him. I would suggest reading it before you spent any money on more shoes.
    I took his advice and departed from my normal running shoe which was an Adidas crosstrainer model from last year (cant recall specifics). I went with the NB 100, and began running in a shoe with less padding / support and im very pleased. Its hard to argue that back /foot related injuries in running sports have skyrocketed since the introduction of gel soles, oversized arches, heavy traction... less is more. Check out Grey Groups site, they have some shoes they can attest to.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    I have used this search site in the past with success. It really helped me find a shoe that worked for me.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/...t/shoe-dog.jsp

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't mean to harp on this but reading how to run and what shoes to buy on the internet is silly. Let someone that has been trained to identify how you run and what shoes work best work with you. Hell, I get re-evaluated every time I buy shoes (about every 300 miles) and I don't assume I'll always get the same model/brand.

Shoes change from year to year. Models are discontinued and new ones are introduced. One year a model may favor a certain kind of runner and the next year a completely different type. Let the professionals assist you. It takes 10 minutes, will be cheaper in the long run (no pun intended) and you won't need to waste time trying to figure it out on your own. That's what they get paid to do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast