Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any runners on here? need shoe recommendations/advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Any runners on here? need shoe recommendations/advice

I've looked around online and seen and learned many different things, but I wanted to see the opinions of the M4C crowd that runs.

To prepare for the Navy, I went out and bought two pairs of dedicated running shoes. A pair of the Nike Shoxs 9 SL, and a pair of some new balance running. the Nike Shox were meant for hard surface running only ( concrete, asphalt etc) and the New Balance were sort of my all rounders ( I wore those to my SpecWar PT sessions, which involved track running, grass/dirt/sand and those were often times wet)

Now that I've been running in them for some time, I noticed that the front of my lower leg really hurts. Not just the shin, but in particular the muscle that is on either side of the shin. It's to the point where after running a little more than a mile and a half, as soon as I stop running I start limping really badly and my lower legs are throbbing. I stop limping less than an hour afterwards, but my lower leg still hurts pretty darn good for another 2 days or so, and the pain gets much worse as soon as i try to run again within those two days.

Both pairs of my shoes were bought at Macdill AFB,so there was no staff to assist in finding the right product, and stupid me figured, " shoes are shoes", so I just bought a pair that felt comfy for 2 minutes and was happy about it.

I soon find out that I am an overpronator, which means that I'm rather flatfooted and my foot tends to rotate inwards (think blade of each foot, so left side of left foot in). I also find out that both pairs of shoes are for runners that have a neutral or slighty underpronated(??) gait.
    Needless to say I'm sure that wasn't helping me wearing the shoes that are making my less-than optimal gait even worse.

So I'm asking :for those of you either flatfooted or have a over-pronated gait, which running shoe would you recommend/works for you?

From what I've read, the Brooks Beast are great shoes for exactly my problems, but I wanted to see if anyone has something else to say/add/recommend.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/media/p...s/1100521D.pdf
    http://www.brooksrunning.com/product...D/123202/Beast

PS ( I know it sounds like I've already made up my mind, but no, I haven't) I just want to make sure I'm buying what I need, I don't want to spend another 200 dollars on exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

All the best,

Steindor
    Last edited by tampam4; 02-04-10 at 00:22. Reason: its overPRONATE, not oversupinate (facepalm)
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    I used to use the beast for stability. Now I use NB 768, it's a better shoe for me. "www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com"

You are stretching right? When I first started I would forget and I would be punished.

Consider posting your question on a running forum.
    Last edited by rdc0000; 02-04-10 at 00:01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rdc0000 View Post
    I used to use the beast for stability. Now I use NB 768, it's a better shoe for me. "www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com"

You are stretching right? When I first started I would forget and I would be punished.

Consider posting your question on a running forum.

I'm actually the only one in the group who really does stretching, both before exercising as well as afterwards.

I took a look at the NB 768, but did not see if it is designed for those who overpronate.

I have no idea why I didn't think of posting this on a running forum. for the past few weeks M4C has been the only forum!
    Last edited by tampam4; 02-04-10 at 00:21.
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I wear Brooks Adrenaline 10's. You can't go wrong with Brooks they make great shoes. And the fact that I have ankles like a 5 year old and haven't rolled them like every other shoe that i've worn makes me feel good about Brook's support.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I highly recommend you find a running store in your area. They should have you run without shoes on and determine which shoes will work best for you. Forget about any brands for now and let them pick them.

There's a running store at the International Mall (at the end of Westshore) next to the new Italian restaurant.

They should be able to get you set up.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What M4arc said. and once you get set up in the shoes and try them on the road, go back and buy several pairs in your size because the goddamn shoe companies always seem to stop making whatever works best.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all for the good and sound advice! My legs hurt enough last night, so I spent a few extra hours awake and was looking up on all this stuff. NOT a good idea. I saw all sorts of conflicting statements from people/companies on what to do in my situation...

Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    I highly recommend you find a running store in your area. They should have you run without shoes on and determine which shoes will work best for you. Forget about any brands for now and let them pick them.

There's a running store at the International Mall (at the end of Westshore) next to the new Italian restaurant.

They should be able to get you set up.
    thank you so much! Best part is they have a track to test out shoes, which is something that I really need, seeing how simply walking around the store for a few moments really doesn't do much.

That store is definitely a better choice than the Foot Locker I was going to settle on over in Clearwater. M4arc, you in the general area or just familiar with it?
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    I used to do a lot of running, as it is very convienant, and I even competed as a Middle Distance Runner in another life. It can become addicting.

With that being said I don't recommend running every day unless you are in a program/school that requires it, or you are competitive on some sort of level. Not even some of the toughest programs require daily running however.

For the most part people are not designed to run. I have heard it said "that if God wanted us to run he would have given us four legs." Does that mean we can't- NO. Some countries people and race have a proprensity for it (RE:Kenya, Ethiopia). Others know how to scientifically enhance human performance such as the old Eastern Bloc Countries and more recently North African Countries such as Morocco have had runners "pop." Some people are more suited to run than others. Genetics seems to a very big factor but not the only factor.

WTBS I would recommend getting analyzied and fitted by an actual running pro shop (I.E. Road Runner Sports). Buying 2 pair of the same Fitted Shoes. Alternate the shoes. Running every other day mixed with a routine of strength training as well as stretching on your none running days. Diet is by far the single best thing you could do for your overall health IMO. And finally a little physical therapy goes a long way.

I don't recommend running with a lot of weight as the minus' far outweigh any plus. If you want weight resistance then walking or "Humping" the weight is the way to go.

After years of trial and error and many, many injuries I have found that a "balance" is the only true way for a long lasting and consistent physical fitness regiment.

Feedback Score
    I was totally wrong, this is a running forum. With that said I would like to ask those here what would be a good running boot? I need ankle support, light weight, stability and thorn or puncture resistant in the sole. I'd also like your opinion on running socks like wrights or using a liner.

I'm very surprised about some of the comments because I'm an old big guy (6'3" 230#s) just starting to run. I'm very fearful of injuries so, I don't push for speed, just push for distance. I've went from walk/run to running 3 miles in 4 months. I forced myself to not heel strike. My goal is 6 mile runs by August. Am I nuts or going to be crippled?

Thanks for everyone's comments it has been very useful to me.

Feedback Score

run

The boot I mentioned above is ideal for what you want but, Salomon's tend to run narrow. So keep that in mind before you buy. They make a very beefy trail shoe that comes in a gore-tex version called the XT Wing. It's not over the ankle though.

Running in boots invites problems pertaining to foot-to-tibia ligaments and tendons. Contrary to popular belief high tops do not give you ankle "support", they give you ankle stability. Quite honestly they provide more "brush guard" so-to-speak than anything else.

As for your goals- I have a friend who is your size that runs more than me(65miles a week). He does it in a similar shoe to the one I wear (NB MT 100). What you have to do if you want to really enjoying running is learn how to do it correctly, listen to your body, and develop your own program. No two bodies are alike, and no one's body is on a 7 day a week calender. This is what I meant when I said earlier that you have to live the lifestyle. Run as you feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast