Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any runners on here? need shoe recommendations/advice

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all for the good and sound advice! My legs hurt enough last night, so I spent a few extra hours awake and was looking up on all this stuff. NOT a good idea. I saw all sorts of conflicting statements from people/companies on what to do in my situation...

Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    I highly recommend you find a running store in your area. They should have you run without shoes on and determine which shoes will work best for you. Forget about any brands for now and let them pick them.

There's a running store at the International Mall (at the end of Westshore) next to the new Italian restaurant.

They should be able to get you set up.
    thank you so much! Best part is they have a track to test out shoes, which is something that I really need, seeing how simply walking around the store for a few moments really doesn't do much.

That store is definitely a better choice than the Foot Locker I was going to settle on over in Clearwater. M4arc, you in the general area or just familiar with it?
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tampam4 View Post
    Thanks to all for the good and sound advice! My legs hurt enough last night, so I spent a few extra hours awake and was looking up on all this stuff. NOT a good idea. I saw all sorts of conflicting statements from people/companies on what to do in my situation...

thank you so much! Best part is they have a track to test out shoes, which is something that I really need, seeing how simply walking around the store for a few moments really doesn't do much.

That store is definitely a better choice than the Foot Locker I was going to settle on over in Clearwater. M4arc, you in the general area or just familiar with it?
    You can read advice on the internet until the cows come home or spend 10 minutes in the store. Some even have trendmills and cameras and they'll show you what's going on as you're running. Then they'll bring out several shoes that will help and evaluate each shoe, pointing out how each makes a difference. I'll tell you all this from experience and from someone that learned the hard way.

Stay away from the Foot Locker. That's like going to Wal-Mart for AR-15 advice.

I do not live in the Tampa area but spend a lot of time at MacDill and that area. When I'm in town I run on Bay Shore (lots of sights) and will let you know the next time I'm in town!

Feedback Score
    In short, shoes/boots cripple your feet. Tendons/Ligaments degrade and atrophy, muscles weaken, this affects your lower extremity posture, hip to spine alignment, and so on. Its pretty amazing how much are feet were NOT designed to be in common/everyday shoes.

I run exclusively barefoot now, or in These.

As soon as I get out of the hospital, I put on the five fingers for everyday activities.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 02-04-10 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    I used to work at a running speciality store, go see what they say check out ie. try them on & if possible run in the store if possible then buy what works for you at the base.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I also over-pronate. I switched to UK Gear last year and they have worked great for me. I have to +1 for what M4arc has stated. Its much better to get fitted by someone who knows how. I simply launched money at the problem and tried a bunch of different shoes until I found something that worked well for me.

http://www.ukgear.com/Shop/Products/...ushioning.html

Mizuno also has some solutions that would work for you.

Derek, those fiver fingers are not a good running shoe for distance. I know 3 hardcore runners that have tried this craze due to magazine articles and Internet hype and all have gone back to more traditional running shoes. ALL ended up with shin splints and tendon pain--one guy broke his ankle. While the idea is sound enough for short distance, going out and sustaining long distance and continuous running is not in our anatomical design no matter what you've read. If we couldn't catch the wooly mammoths within a mile, you had to hope your wife picked alot of berries that day. We have a few hundred thousand years to evolve a solution that incorpoates nikes.

Plus, the fact that they list their shoe as "Vegan" safe is a warning sign to me.

I can see a valid use for these in some free-running activities where you can more effectively use your toes as well as climbing---but absolutely not going out to run 3-5 miles.

And from an aesthetic point of view, they look ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    I don't mean to harp on this but reading how to run and what shoes to buy on the internet is silly. Let someone that has been trained to identify how you run and what shoes work best work with you. Hell, I get re-evaluated every time I buy shoes (about every 300 miles) and I don't assume I'll always get the same model/brand.

Shoes change from year to year. Models are discontinued and new ones are introduced. One year a model may favor a certain kind of runner and the next year a completely different type. Let the professionals assist you. It takes 10 minutes, will be cheaper in the long run (no pun intended) and you won't need to waste time trying to figure it out on your own. That's what they get paid to do.
    Please do this. Find a reputable running store and get them to profile you.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Feedback Score

run

tampam4,

Your shins hurt on either side b/c you're heel striking and wearing a shoe with an elevated heel. This shortens your achilles and puts stress forward on the foot. As with most, your probably over striding as well. No shoe will fix that, it will mask it temporarily. Eventually you'll get stress fractures.

Learn to be a mid-foot striker and take short quick steps. If you can adapt to a minimalist shoe it will align your spine, lengthen your achilles, and weigh less than what you have now. I average about 60-70 miles per week in NB 100's on all kinds of surfaces.

As for the The Brooks Beast, it has long been the favorite of big guys. How big are you? A shoe like that weighs a lot, and your lower leg muscles, which are already taxed b/c of the heel striking will now have to pick up a heavier shoe 2000 times per mile which won't help your cause.

Be wary of running shoe stores and their gimmicks to find out what type of foot you have. Your best bet is to get with an ultra runner and let him watch you run. We look at ourselves and others running way more than anyone else.

If you have to go with a "cushioned" shoe, try to get one with a flat sole so your foot works like designed.

Also, try this guy out- http://www.runlabdro.com/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm an overpronater also, wear the New Balance 769. A specialty store will look at you walk in bare feet to see how your feet land and make recommendations accordingly.

Shoes will wear out so keep a running log so that you see how many miles you accumulate plus it will encourage you to see the miles pile up. I'm over 5,500 miles in the last 5 or 6 years. Since I'm a slow, plodder (10 minute mile marathoner) I only get about 325 to 350 miles per pair but lighter, faster guys can get as much as 500 miles. Your legs will let you know!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post

Derek, those fiver fingers are not a good running shoe for distance. I know 3 hardcore runners that have tried this craze due to magazine articles and Internet hype and all have gone back to more traditional running shoes. ALL ended up with shin splints and tendon pain--one guy broke his ankle.
    How could he attribute that to the shoe?

While the idea is sound enough for short distance, going out and sustaining long distance and continuous running is not in our anatomical design no matter what you've read. If we couldn't catch the wooly mammoths within a mile, you had to hope your wife picked alot of berries that day.
    Couldn't agree more. Long distance running, is an exercise in mental masturbation.

We have a few hundred thousand years to evolve a solution that incorpoates nikes.
    no, we haven't.

Plus, the fact that they list their shoe as "Vegan" safe is a warning sign to me.
    To some, that is important. To me, it is not. More dead cows = more steak for me.

I can see a valid use for these in some free-running activities where you can more effectively use your toes as well as climbing---but absolutely not going out to run 3-5 miles.
    I run no more than 2 miles at a time with these, and have had no problems.

And from an aesthetic point of view, they look ridiculous.

I could care less what I look like when Im running.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 02-04-10 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Kyle,
    How long did it take you to get to this level? Just curious since I have been running about 6 months now, and can't seem to get past about 20 miles a week mainly due to time constraints (work).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast