Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any runners on here? need shoe recommendations/advice

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I am 6'0", 175lbs and am an avid runner. I am also an overpronater which has resulted in ITB pain at times, especially when training for a half or full marathon. I went to a running store and got "evaluated." Overpronaters tend to do better with a stabillity shoe (YMMV) and I have found the ASIC gel Kayano's to be my favorite.

Feedback Score
    I used to do a lot of running, as it is very convienant, and I even competed as a Middle Distance Runner in another life. It can become addicting.

With that being said I don't recommend running every day unless you are in a program/school that requires it, or you are competitive on some sort of level. Not even some of the toughest programs require daily running however.

For the most part people are not designed to run. I have heard it said "that if God wanted us to run he would have given us four legs." Does that mean we can't- NO. Some countries people and race have a proprensity for it (RE:Kenya, Ethiopia). Others know how to scientifically enhance human performance such as the old Eastern Bloc Countries and more recently North African Countries such as Morocco have had runners "pop." Some people are more suited to run than others. Genetics seems to a very big factor but not the only factor.

WTBS I would recommend getting analyzied and fitted by an actual running pro shop (I.E. Road Runner Sports). Buying 2 pair of the same Fitted Shoes. Alternate the shoes. Running every other day mixed with a routine of strength training as well as stretching on your none running days. Diet is by far the single best thing you could do for your overall health IMO. And finally a little physical therapy goes a long way.

I don't recommend running with a lot of weight as the minus' far outweigh any plus. If you want weight resistance then walking or "Humping" the weight is the way to go.

After years of trial and error and many, many injuries I have found that a "balance" is the only true way for a long lasting and consistent physical fitness regiment.

Feedback Score
    I was totally wrong, this is a running forum. With that said I would like to ask those here what would be a good running boot? I need ankle support, light weight, stability and thorn or puncture resistant in the sole. I'd also like your opinion on running socks like wrights or using a liner.

I'm very surprised about some of the comments because I'm an old big guy (6'3" 230#s) just starting to run. I'm very fearful of injuries so, I don't push for speed, just push for distance. I've went from walk/run to running 3 miles in 4 months. I forced myself to not heel strike. My goal is 6 mile runs by August. Am I nuts or going to be crippled?

Thanks for everyone's comments it has been very useful to me.

Feedback Score

run

The boot I mentioned above is ideal for what you want but, Salomon's tend to run narrow. So keep that in mind before you buy. They make a very beefy trail shoe that comes in a gore-tex version called the XT Wing. It's not over the ankle though.

Running in boots invites problems pertaining to foot-to-tibia ligaments and tendons. Contrary to popular belief high tops do not give you ankle "support", they give you ankle stability. Quite honestly they provide more "brush guard" so-to-speak than anything else.

As for your goals- I have a friend who is your size that runs more than me(65miles a week). He does it in a similar shoe to the one I wear (NB MT 100). What you have to do if you want to really enjoying running is learn how to do it correctly, listen to your body, and develop your own program. No two bodies are alike, and no one's body is on a 7 day a week calender. This is what I meant when I said earlier that you have to live the lifestyle. Run as you feel.

Feedback Score
    Might be slightly off topic from the original post, but I recently read this book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.

Basically the author is/was a writer for Men's Health and kept getting injured from running. But after he threw his shoes away and learned how to run like the Tarahumara Indians he was able to start running again without injury.

The Tarahumara don't run like us, they take small strides and strike with their toes I believe. Its a motion similar to someone running up a hill. Their culture revolves around running. Think ultra marathons while kicking a wooden ball around like soccer through the Copper Canyons in sandals.

In the book it also talks about how they were mainly vegetarians but occasionally hunted animals. Their method of hunting, well basically run the animals down till they tire.

This book was the first time I was introduced to the idea that our shoes are the root of our problem with running injuries. I thought it was interesting that Kyle mentioned the same thing and am believing this concept even more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    In short, shoes/boots cripple your feet. Tendons/Ligaments degrade and atrophy, muscles weaken, this affects your lower extremity posture, hip to spine alignment, and so on. Its pretty amazing how much are feet were NOT designed to be in common/everyday shoes.

I run exclusively barefoot now, or in These.

As soon as I get out of the hospital, I put on the five fingers for everyday activities.
    Totally agree!
    I am also in the middle of reading the book: Born To Run.
    I don't think I will ever barefoot run but I will always run with a flat shoe from now on. I am currently running in Converse All Stars high tops and it has made a huge difference. No more knee and ankle pain...you will feel it in your calves though when you switch. No more heel toe running for me!!!!
    My next shoe is going to be either the Asics Piranha or the Nike Free 5.0.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What M4arc said. and once you get set up in the shoes and try them on the road, go back and buy several pairs in your size because the goddamn shoe companies always seem to stop making whatever works best.
    This is true especially when you wear size 14.

IMO i like the feel of Asics and New Balance. * Not all NB are american made either if that is something your interested in.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234