Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opinions on Magpul Ranger floor plate

Feedback Score

opinions on Magpul Ranger floor plate

I am looking for feedback on the Magpul Ranger floor plate. Good or Bad. I am considering these. I run the original magpuls on my Pmags now, but that does not allow me to fit two pmags in my Eagle double mag pouch on my Ciras. So I am considering a switch. Let me know your experiences fellas. Thanks.

Thegoat273

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you pull reloads from a 1st line belt doing a beer-can grip, I've found them to have no impact beyond providing a bumper for the mag when it's inevitabley dropped. A peripheral benefit, not a telling one, I think.

However, if I'm reloading from my vest, I'm grabbing mags the same way I do pistol mags: palm on bottom, booger-picking finger indexed along the frontstrap (correct term?) of the mag. My palm, on flat baseplate mags, tends to be cupped over the baseplate, with no contact. The extra material of the Pmag Ranger plates fills that void nearly perfectly, meaning I have more meat in contact with magazine, and creates what I feel to be more positive control.

I've never worried about using my fingertips on theat plate to pull the mag, but I've seen some yokels alter their manual of arms because "that's what it was made for," and you could time their reloads with carbon-dating.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just put ranger floor plates on my pmags. I havent done much reloading with them yet but the biggest benefit ive seen so far is removing them from the side pouches on my tactical case. The pouches completely enclose the mags so before I was having to squeeze two fingers in there to get a grip on a mag to pull it out, I was even using my other hand to push a bit on the lower side of the pouch to help push them out. Now with the ranger floor plates installed, its a MUCH simpler one finger pull from the pouches, much faster. Not to mention they look cooler
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I like the Ranger plates on Alum GI mags, as they give a better grip on the mag, especially if you can't get a perfect grip on the mag immediately.

I do not like them on PMags as they are redundant (the PMag is easy to grip and the flared floor-plate provides superb grip) and don't work well with most double thickness pouches with flaps, and they make the overall height of the gun noticeably taller. I might stick mine on some 20s, but that would be about it.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 02-04-10 at 19:24.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I like the Ranger plates on Alum GI mags, as they give a better grip on the mag, especially if you can't get a perfect grip on the mag immediately.

I do not like them on PMags as they are redundant (the PMag is easy to grip and the flared floor-plate provides superb grip) and don't work well with most double thickness pouches with flaps, and they make the overall height of the gun noticeably taller. I might stick mine on some 20s, but that would be about it.
    I concur exactly. All of my GI magazines (other than those I've put back) wear Ranger plates. None of my Pmags do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was considering putting ranger floor plates on my PMAGS solely for the reason of protecting the mag upon impact with the ground...Your thoughts on it for that reason alone?

Has anyone ever broken a PMAG by dropping it?

thanks
    shane

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by boganz45; 02-27-10 at 23:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'Zeus View Post
    I was considering putting ranger floor plates on my PMAGS solely for the reason of protecting the mag upon impact with the ground...Your thoughts on it for that reason alone?

Has anyone ever broken a PMAG by dropping it?

thanks
    shane
    The Pmag bottoms are tough and the ranger plate is not needed for protection.

I used to run Pmags with Rangers but they got in the way on my vest, especially inside a vehicle.

The only time I would use them on Pmags is if they are stashed in a deep Go Bag or any situation where you can't grab the sides.

They are handy for those who rest the mag on the ground when shooting. But I carry mags more than I use them and need to be comfortable. That is why I prefer 20 rounders too.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like them because I beer can grip the magazine towards the bottom and it just gives it a little more room to grip. I am a little biased though.
    Product Manager at Magpul Industries

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    I use the Ranger pulls, although in my opinion they do not really aid in loading or unloading. I like to have the extra material to grab on, in the off chance that I miss during a reload. They don't really add much weight and I keep the space above my mags on my plate carrier slick anyways. This way I never have to worry about my mags being caught on some weird admin pouch that barely gets used.

Also the lazy man in me - I hang my mags on my D-ring all the time when at the clearing barrels.

SOS
    With Skill, Knowledge & Determination, YOU WILL PREVAIL!
    Join our Facebook Fan Page for Specials, Updates and Discounts!
    Questions? m4c@skdtac.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast