Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: opinions on Magpul Ranger floor plate

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate the feedback
    Shoot straight, get after it!

We do not rise to the occasion, We fall to our level of training!

www.itoa.org

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpstok151 View Post
    man times have changed. I don't use ranger plates. It seems I have an abundance of first gen Pmags where when you put the dust cover on the floor plate it doesn't wuit fit so in a way serves as a jerry rigged ranger plate. dont know if thats a good thing or not!
    That sounds like a good thing to me. I think the first gen Pmags must have been before my time as I'm just getting into this stuff as a hobbyist and anything I used before this year was what was issued to me by my agency. But being able to snap the dust covers onto the bottom sounds handy so they don't get lost. I wonder why newer versions were changed to a degree that they don't do that too.

Feedback Score
    I also wonder why they're so expensive. I can buy a whole MagPul magazine for $1 less than a MagPul Ranger Plate, yet the latter is a fraction of the material and has less moving parts.
    Last edited by TwoScoops; 03-01-22 at 23:29.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I still like the L plates on USGI mags. But even that little (1/2" or so) addition makes the mag really tall. I already shoot mostly 20 round mags for prone.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Holy 12 year necropost! They do give a little bit more purchase on the mags. I use them, but not on every mag

Feedback Score
    Wow, what a necro!

FWIW, I've been experimenting with different mag carriage options. One configuration was using a large GP/SAW/Canteen pouch with 4-5 mags stuffed in it. It's a throw back to MACV-SOG. With 4-5 mags stuffed in a pouch not necessarily designed for mags, there's not a lot of "purchase" to get a mag out, so having one in the middle with the ranger plate helps get the whole thing going. It's easier to get the rest of them out after that. I've found the same with enclosed triple mag pouches from Velocity Systems- but the ranger plate adds too much height, so I'm looking at old school 100 mph tape and paracord loops.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123