Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: opinions on Magpul Ranger floor plate

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'Zeus View Post
    Has anyone ever broken a PMAG by dropping it?
    To add to what IN said, if you use search, you'll find unusual instances in which Pmags have cracked for whatever reason. IF it occurs, and you contact Magpul, I'll wager $20 to your $5 that they'll send you a new mag to replace it in exchange for you sending the busted one back for them to pick apart and study for the purposes of continued product improvement.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    I use them. Some of the pouches on my soft case are deep and the ranger plates stick up enough to grab, but I guess a magpul would do the same thing. I like them when shooting with the mag on the ground or a bench, it is easy to rock the gun on the ranger plate.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Goat, I don't use them for the plain fact that they don't help in anyway. Maybe if I only shot at the range on concrete would they stop the bottom of my mags getting beat up a little. To me they are just another trinket that guys buy because they want to accessorize. If you are properly pulling and seating your mags you won't touch the bottom of the mag. Just look and see if any of the top shooters/former operators are using them, and by operators I mean with a tier 1 background.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b6b View Post
    Goat, I don't use them for the plain fact that they don't help in anyway. Maybe if I only shot at the range on concrete would they stop the bottom of my mags getting beat up a little. To me they are just another trinket that guys buy because they want to accessorize. If you are properly pulling and seating your mags you won't touch the bottom of the mag. Just look and see if any of the top shooters/former operators are using them, and by operators I mean with a tier 1 background.
    Now that's kind of silly.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Now that's kind of silly.
    Please explain.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    To me they are just another trinket that guys buy because they want to accessorize. If you are properly pulling and seating your mags you won't touch the bottom of the mag. Just look and see if any of the top shooters/former operators are using them, and by operators I mean with a tier 1 background.
    Let me.

That's bolded is just chest-thumping, based on the idea that everybody goes beer-can, all the time, and is therefore flawed in it's basis. In a word, it's horse puckey. If you're going to make absolutist statements, they should be based on fact. An example would be, after the word "mags," stating "your reloads will be faster." That's factual; what you put down is your narrowly-defined truth, which isn't the same thing at all

The second, wrong again. Otherwise I guess I'm gonna have to tell gents from MARSOC, Reconnaissance Bn's, Asymmetric Warfare Group, and some other such call-sign groups I train with and around, that they need to stop using ranger plates and their variants because b6b don' like 'em. Or do such entities not pass muster for your narrowly-defined thoughts on what rates the term "top shooter?"

You don't like the things, cool, sweet, say so. Your first sentence did that for you, but don't paint with such a broad brush for the rest unless you're gonna use paint, not bullshit.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score

???

It is easy to see why people pay $10 for a box of $2 wine. No wait, it isn't. I thought you guys still carried muskets on those boats.
    You can get a the same output from a S.I mag without the cool guy price tag. They are nice to have if you are a range hand, but when you are out and about in Indian country, they don't make a marked difference to validate the amount of money you will spend.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Riverine View Post
    Let me.

That's bolded is just chest-thumping, based on the idea that everybody goes beer-can, all the time, and is therefore flawed in it's basis. In a word, it's horse puckey. If you're going to make absolutist statements, they should be based on fact. An example would be, after the word "mags," stating "your reloads will be faster." That's factual; what you put down is your narrowly-defined truth, which isn't the same thing at all

The second, wrong again. Otherwise I guess I'm gonna have to tell gents from MARSOC, Reconnaissance Bn's, Asymmetric Warfare Group, and some other such call-sign groups I train with and around, that they need to stop using ranger plates and their variants because b6b don' like 'em. Or do such entities not pass muster for your narrowly-defined thoughts on what rates the term "top shooter?"

You don't like the things, cool, sweet, say so. Your first sentence did that for you, but don't paint with such a broad brush for the rest unless you're gonna use paint, not bullshit.
    Ouch! I knew I would catch hell from the magpul mafia. Just my opinion of course. I will not list all units, schools and so forth that don't use them as that is counter productive. I do work with several former marsoc guys and they don't use them for the same reason. As for top shooters, I should of explained myself a little better as I meant, those that make a living shooting professionally. I do mod my mags a little with a 1 inch strip of grip tap around the base of the mags. And yes I beer can seat mags as my thumb is right there to release the slide. It cuts out a movement, moving your hand from the bottom of the mag to the bolt release then to the rail adds a very small amount of time, but it is time. I was shown this on a pro timer. I like to base things on fact and would try them out with a pro timer but since I wouldn't even touch them on a reload it would be a waste. If they make your reloads faster, good, but keep you hands on that GAU if possible.
    Last edited by b6b; 04-19-10 at 14:02. Reason: typing skills of a child

Feedback Score

550 cord and some hundred mile an hour tape

man times have changed. I don't use ranger plates. It seems I have an abundance of first gen Pmags where when you put the dust cover on the floor plate it doesn't wuit fit so in a way serves as a jerry rigged ranger plate. dont know if thats a good thing or not!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Please explain.
    We're only supposed to use or do what the "Tier 1 shooter" use or do? C'mon, that's just silly.

Many people posted that they found that the Range Plates made it easier for them to pull the magazines out of pouches, seat the magazine on the deck when shooting prone, etc. But their experiences are to be discounted because "Tier 1" guys don't use them?

Silly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast