Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well...I did it now (Colt + Krylon)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Well...I did it now (Colt + Krylon)

The Colt lovers are gonna hang me by a tree.

Well I finally broke down and did it...phase 1 here it is. Krylon Ultra Flat Tan.

Phase 2 will be OD misting...haven't decided on a pattern yet.

Phase 3 will be Alumahyde II Clear Matte for a lil bit of protection.

Basically I took some $1.50 or whatever brake cleaner....hosed all the parts down. Then threw on the Krylon. It was kinda windy out so I'm covered in Krylon and my arm hair feels like a I ran hair gel through it....it's so stiff.

Now only if all environments were the same color as my apartment shower tile this rifle would be perfect and no need for OD Krylon. More pics to follow! And yes the rubber Aimpoint caps weren't fully coated but I didn't care b/c most of the paint will come off the rubber caps quickly.

Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry but that was stupid. Not saying you are stupid.

At least take the easily removed parts off so it looks nicer. It's hard to paint inside crevasse's without gunking up paint. Either you have gunked up paint or you can still see black in all the nooks and crannies.

To each his own I guess....

What happens when you flip the safety? Do you see the safety's shadow?

Feedback Score
    I've always wondered what it would be like to do this to a gun, vs other methods.
    Is this what most guys are doing, when I see them with TAN AR's??

Did you paint your CTR stock, or is naturally FDE?
    How about the inside of your upper and lower? I don't see it taped off. Did paint get inside there?

I guess my biggest concern with doing this to a rifle, is the fact that I'd be scared as hell to see the rifle after paint starts wearing/chipping/flaking out of all the little areas that it's going to.
    Anyone got pics of a well used rifle that previously was given a paint job like this???

What are the OTHER options aside from WalMart spray can finishes?

Is Duracoat a spray n bake, or just a spray???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Duracoat is spray and bake. You need to bake it to get it cured fast enough for reassembly supposedly.

I used to think it HAD to be baked but found out that it cures over time and will continue to cure long after the 3 weeks that are mentioned in the instructions.

It will start to suck bad when that paint chips. It's a real PITA to clean paint off of a rifle. Carb cleaner won't quite do it. It will stick in all the tight spots and be a mess.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Suicide...no offense taken bro. I thought about doing it the way you described by taking all the parts off to make it look better but w/ a $3 Krylon job I didn't deem it necessary. It can be taken off rather easily so I'm not worried about it. Also I did flip the safety switch while painting it so there is paint behind both selections.

Not sure I like it yet but I had to try it to know.

First thing the fiance said when she saw it.....it's ugly now.
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Suicide...no offense taken bro. I thought about doing it the way you described by taking all the parts off to make it look better but w/ a $3 Krylon job I didn't deem it necessary. It can be taken off rather easily so I'm not worried about it. Also I did flip the safety switch while painting it so there is paint behind both selections.

Paul....as Suicide/Joe described some ppl go the Krylon route others go w/ Duracoat, KG Gunkote or Norrells. I've heard that Norrells is probably the best out there.

No I didn't mask anything off. I just plugged up the muzzle and went to town. I was careful to not directly spray the internals and any overspray I did get inside the receivers easily wiped off w/ CLP. Also I pulled my BCG before doing this and plugged up the chamber.

ETA: BTW my CTR was originally OD but I had painted it along w/ the other furniture before doing the whole rifle.
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Krylon works great, it doesn't work really good on suppressors and burns off. But it's a decent finish and it's very economical.

I used Norrels tan on my 3 gun rifles upper receiver, bbl, and JP tube and black Gunkote on the bbl nut. I used OD Gunkote on my wifes 3 gun rifle on the upper receiver, bolt carrier and bbl and black Gunkote on the cutdown FSB. My 1911 was green already (factory Springfield finish), after I replaced a bunch on parts on it I used black Gunkote on the frame and all it's parts. Both finished require degreasing, an Airbrush and baking to cure them. I usually bake at 350degrees for 1.5hrs.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fivepointoh View Post

Typical woman/girlfriend/fiance/wife comment... They just dont understand...
    Glock 17
    Glock 19
    CCW as of 10/06

LMT 10.5" SBR

Rem 700SS 5R

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 23:24.

Feedback Score
    Hey gotm4!
    Sweet pics man!

What type of tube/forearm is that on your wifes rifle??

Also, I can't believe you said you put a finish on the BC? Wow, that seems like it would never even hold with all the lube you normally have on a Bolt Carrier...
    Thanks for sharing the sweet pics...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast