Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well...I did it now (Colt + Krylon)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Beautiful GotM4!

Paul....How's the Krylon holding up on your handguards?

I did mine in OD once...just regular old handguards and they didn't hold the paint at all!
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    I've always wondered what it would be like to do this to a gun, vs other methods.
    Is this what most guys are doing, when I see them with TAN AR's??

Did you paint your CTR stock, or is naturally FDE?
    How about the inside of your upper and lower? I don't see it taped off. Did paint get inside there?

I guess my biggest concern with doing this to a rifle, is the fact that I'd be scared as hell to see the rifle after paint starts wearing/chipping/flaking out of all the little areas that it's going to.
    Anyone got pics of a well used rifle that previously was given a paint job like this???

What are the OTHER options aside from WalMart spray can finishes?

Is Duracoat a spray n bake, or just a spray???
    Well used military rifles:

And before there was Krylon, there was mustard yellow and OD green automotive paint in Rhodesia.....

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok so that was the OD rifle. No offense to the OD but that wasn't a hard choice to make!

You made it sound like you were taunting the kook aid drinkers because you painted a brand new rifle!

I heard that old guy in the pic above was a real bad ass. He passed away, didn't he?

I've got a lot of nice camo'd up homebrews on the old computer. Maybe I should dig them up for a new thread about homebrew camo.

I had DC'd an entire rifle after complete disassembly in Tiger Stripe Brown. Great color.

The only way to truly get that stuff off was to blast it off. I ended up rebuilding with old and new and resprayed black. Now DamnYank has it and loves it. He was only able to put one chip in it. DC sticks good to blasted aluminum and yeah, I know, not good to remove anodizing but some of it was left...

The neat thing was the color seemed to change depending on the amount of sunlight out. In bright sunlight, it got very light. In overcast light, it deepened like a weird brown color.

Feedback Score
    YOU IMPROVED A COLT

looks a little thin in places, but overal looks good.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
    YOU IMPROVED A COLT

looks a little thin in places, but overal looks good.
    I know I know...lol

but luckily it's going to be hit w/ some medium brown (coyote) and that'll fill in the thin spots.

thank you btw!
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Ok so that was the OD rifle. No offense to the OD but that wasn't a hard choice to make!

You made it sound like you were taunting the kook aid drinkers because you painted a brand new rifle!

I heard that old guy in the pic above was a real bad ass. He passed away, didn't he?

I've got a lot of nice camo'd up homebrews on the old computer. Maybe I should dig them up for a new thread about homebrew camo.

I had DC'd an entire rifle after complete disassembly in Tiger Stripe Brown. Great color.

The only way to truly get that stuff off was to blast it off. I ended up rebuilding with old and new and resprayed black. Now DamnYank has it and loves it. He was only able to put one chip in it. DC sticks good to blasted aluminum and yeah, I know, not good to remove anodizing but some of it was left...

The neat thing was the color seemed to change depending on the amount of sunlight out. In bright sunlight, it got very light. In overcast light, it deepened like a weird brown color.

damn that's beautiful!
    Professional Babysitter

panzerr Guest
    Kudos for saving money on improving the concealability of your weapon. There is no need to spend money on expensive coatings that will still wear off given enough use. Krylon will scratch and rub off at the wear points faster than some gee whiz coating but that is a good thing. The less perfect the coating looks, the better it will function as camo (it’s the same idea as face paint -you know someone doesn’t know how to apply face paint when it is all perfectly applied with straight lines and such). Besides, wear marks give a weapon character, indicating that its owner actually uses it (now there is an idea) rather than just having it to show off to his buddies.

A weapon is a tool. Tools should be used and, if necessary abused -like when you bash it on the ground when you are trying to carry your buddy to the medevac helo. As a result, they are not all bright and shiny and perfect. You should see my M4. It's all sorts of ratched up, but it functions flawlessly -and that is what matters.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    panzerr,

Thanks and I totally agree w/ you. This is actually going to be about a $30 paint job by the time I'm done buying blue tape (I know I'm gonna run out of what I have) and paint. This weekend hopefully I'll have all the paint in and I'm gonna test the pattern out on an ammo box.

-Pat
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't agree. You seem to have a lot of tone in your response panzerr. We aren't all overseas and some of us don't have the same needs. To say "if necessary abused" is foolish. Abuse is defined as an unnecessary cruel action I think. If it is necessary, it isn't really abuse.

I didn't use a fancy expensive coating. It's duracoat. It isn't that expensive when you consider what it takes to coat a rifle. I think the amount of DC used to coat that rifle was right around $3. It was a $27 kit with 4 colors. I used half of a bottle of one color.

FYI I took my pictures right after It was refinished so if it looks nice, it's not because I am a pussy and baby my rifle unlike a real man. I'm able to keep it in a relatively cheap case and I don't throw it on the ground at the range. Maybe when I grow testicles I'll throw it on the ground so it looks real. Actually, the last pic of it outside has a lot of wear. You just can't see it because it's not almost completely worn down.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Alright guys lets get this thread back on track.

Here are some of the templates I have cut out along w/ spraying on some Satin Green Krylon ....overdid it so I had to mist it w/ khaki...then I used one of my templates and sprayed the green on. I still need to add some blotches of straight khaki for the lighter sand color and then add the patches of coyote...then brown...then the small white looking patches.

Here's the process so far.

Professional Babysitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast