Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best suited optic for 3-gun?

Feedback Score

Best suited optic for 3-gun?

Been running a stock LE6920 and need an optic for 3-gun. So, what's the preferred sight for various ranges? My Club uses distances ranging from 30-meters all the way out to 200-meters. So far the iron sights have done well, but the added time taken to gain a decent sight picture is slowing me down. So, what are you other folks using?

I'm also looking to add a Magpul BAD along with the optic and will call it good. The Colt's trigger is surprisingly pretty good and I'm not a big foregrip advocate. Thanks for reading.

Feedback Score
    I've been searching for the perfect 3-gun optic for FIVE FREAKIN' YEARS. I'm afraid it does not yet exist.

Right now, I use a Trijicon ACOG TA-11 on a LaRue mount. It's excellent on open targets up close, and excellent on targets out past 100 yards. It's a little iffy on reduced/partial targets in the 30-70yd. range.

I've used the Burris XTR-14 1-4x and the Meopta KDot 1-4x, and liked them a lot. I really want to try out the new Vortex 1-4. The Premier Reticle 1.1-8x looks like a neat optic, but I'm unwilling to spend $2900 on what amounts to a toy.

Try one of those, and let us know how it works.

-C
    "There is no secret. Except that you have to know what nice work is, and you have to be willing to take the pains to do it." 'The Secret of the Old Master', by Lucian Cary.

The Way of the Multigun

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My current scope is a Burris XTR 1-4x which is damn nice. I'm also T&Eing a Trijicon TR24 1-4x with the green triangle which is proving to be damn nice for 3gun type stuff.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    My current scope is a Burris XTR 1-4x which is damn nice. I'm also T&Eing a Trijicon TR24 1-4x with the green triangle which is proving to be damn nice for 3gun type stuff.
    How are you transitioning from close range out to 200? I hate adjusting POA to adjust the POI. I've looked at the TR24 and it would be ideal for the more distant shots. Is the sight picture quick?

Feedback Score
    This season I will find out how well the 3x TA33 works in our club's 3 gun matches where the ranges will be from 5 yds to 75. I think the TA11 with the red crosshair would be nearly ideal, largely due to the attributes of the TA11 model in general.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    How are you transitioning from close range out to 200? I hate adjusting POA to adjust the POI. I've looked at the TR24 and it would be ideal for the more distant shots. Is the sight picture quick?
    For 3 gun there isn't much difference between 50 yds and 300 yds as far as drop ect. After that then you need to start worrying. Yes the TR24 is very fast, it's hard to tell the difference in speed vs the XTR.

Feedback Score
    been shooting the tr24 in matches and classes for 2 yeas now in green.

its very fast
    clear crisp it replaced my Burris wait till you see the new versions we have been beta testing...

cattail for the tr24 are a great thing i current have one made from kydex it works very very well,

Gotm4 other thoughts about it,

Last edited by Steve; 02-09-10 at 08:26.

Feedback Score
    My current 3 gun set up:
    My Beretta 92F
    My Savage/Enfield .303
    a borrowed shot gun

My buddy with the shotgun has a new 6.8 carbine with Eotech, it might be better than the Enfield...

Feedback Score
    wait till you see the new versions we have been beta testing...
    Dude. Don't be a tease...

-C
    "There is no secret. Except that you have to know what nice work is, and you have to be willing to take the pains to do it." 'The Secret of the Old Master', by Lucian Cary.

The Way of the Multigun

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    been shooting the tr24 in matches and classes for 2 yeas now in green.

its very fast
    clear crisp it replaced my Burris wait till you see the new versions we have been beta testing...

cattail for the tr24 are a great thing i current have one made from kydex it works very very well,

Gotm4 other thoughts about it,

http://www.actshooters.com/crc4images/full/tf23.jpg
    So far I love it brother (the TR24). The things I dislike about it are the distortion at 1x (sort of a fishbowl effect on the edges of the field of view). I bought a Chris Drissel (from 3gunstuff.com) cat tail. I do wish it had more power on the high end maybe to 6-8x would be BADASS! With more trigger time on it I'm finding the green triangle is a little faster than the Burris XTR. Prior to shooting it I would never have though it was faster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast