Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Verifying Lower Registered as Pistol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stik View Post
    Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Never been to Alabama, but individual private sales are unrestricted here in OK, and were in WI when I lived there. I didn't realize there were states (at least in America) that private transactions weren't unrestricted.
    I'm a lifelong Michigander so I wasn't aware how things work in the untamed hinterlands

From the MSP site:

"The police authority will check for any criminal record at both the state and national level.

The applicant must answer gun related questions on a Basic Pistol Safety Questionnaire, with at least 70% correct, and swear before a notary that they meet the statutory requirements to own a pistol.

The License to Purchase a Pistol form must be completed even though the applicant may already have possession of a pistol, such as through an inheritance. Federal firearms licensed dealers are not exempt from this section of the law and must also get a license any time they purchase/acquire a pistol from an individual or another gun dealer. There is an exemption only for dealers purchasing pistols directly from the manufacturer or wholesaler.

A License to Purchase a Pistol is valid for 10 days to purchase a pistol. The seller must sign the license and keep one copy for his/her records. An individual must return to the local police department within 10 days of purchasing the pistol, return the two remaining copies of the license, and present the pistol for a Safety Inspection Certificate. Dealers are exempt from the safety inspection requirements on pistols kept solely for the purpose of resale."

Here we feel like we're getting away with something if the purchaser is a CPL holder and can skip the 'license to purchase' step. Still have to go for inspection any way.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq47 View Post
    (assorted tyranny)
    WOW! That's a lot of hoop-jumping. I feel for ya'll.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Yeah, those are alot of hoops to jump through. I take for granted you can go to a gun show in most of the southeast and walk out with anything without any paperwork unless you are buying from a dealer. I would say 30-40% of the tables at the gun shows down here are "private sale" so to speak. With H.R.1022 being introduced, I am on a black rifle buying spree. I remember as a kid in the early 90's, (pre 94 crime bill), seeing CAR-15 commando style set ups for $350, then after 94, everything skyrocketed. I want 2 of everything now so I have one to keep and another to sell in the future (well, really 4-6 of everything so I have 2-3 to keep and 2-3 to sell), which was one reason I didn't pass up the pistol lower. But as of now I have 5 AR's, 2 AK's and JLD PTR 91 so I think I am going to stop for the moment unless I can find a deal on a decent HK91 clone in good shape, maybe another AK or two if the quality and price are right, still want an underfolder.

But anyways, I have emailed Doublestar with the serial # to verify everything and am awaiting a reply. Like I said, I just want piece of mind if I am going to the range and get pulled over for speeding, they won't call the ATF on my ass for having an illegal pistol. I am 99.9% confident it is o.k. but I just want to make sure and have piece of mind.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    WOW! That's a lot of hoop-jumping. I feel for ya'll.
    Yeah, we're slowly creeping into the modern era. Concealed carry is a pretty recent addition, and we just opened the taps on select-fire NFA (non C&R, that was the only option). Still no-go on SBR/suppressors though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12