Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Embrace the suck--CROSSFIT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Crossfit rocks.

Has anyone had experience with Brass Ring Fitness?
    Apparently it incorporates the crossfit workouts into a unit exercise.

Feedback Score
    I could never understand how basic lifts, running and a few other movements could generate such controversy. There are no end of CrossFit haters out there for some reason.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggly_wiggly View Post
    So I was checking out some of the other videos on that site which I guess are cross fit related. What's up with the "kip up" pull-ups most of these people are doing? Are those considered legitimate in cross fit?
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    Yes..kipping pull-ups are about work output not muscular development.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I could never understand how basic lifts, running and a few other movements could generate such controversy. There are no end of CrossFit haters out there for some reason.
    couldnt agree with you more.

you have to read muscle & fitness and all its airbrushed/photoshopped glory to be a real athlete or know anything about fitness

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Some thoughtful and experienced S&P coaches certainly have their reasons for not liking Xfit. Among them are beliefs that:

*the high intensity all the time doesn't allow for recovery

*the seemingly random nature of the workouts isn't the most productive programming

*performing certain movements against the clock inevitably creates bad form and therefore injury

*it doesn't program enough heavy lifting for the average person (though the influence of various hybrid CF programs is changing this)

*CF's general physical preparedness (GPP) approach may be good for workout meant for the general population but a specific physical preparedness (SPP) program tailored to a specific athlete or sport will provide better results

There are more. That's just off the top of my head.

I'm not "hating" on Crossfit. Try it and if it works for you, stick with it until it no longer does. Rather, I'm pointing out that there are real reasons some consider it 'controversial'.

Regarding kipping pullups: a lot of xfit trainers are going away from them because they may be causing injuries and don't seem to correlate well with dead hang pullups. See this page about SLAP tears.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/search...archid=4835338

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    oh god, i used to do crossfit with my XO in baghdad and wow!

im 5',10" and rarely exceed 130lbs, but luckily im a born endurance runner, but crossfit made even me tired, i prefer running but maybe i should slowly incorporate it into my run schedule.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by peepee View Post
    SEALfit, GYM Jones is legit. It takes me several crossfit workouts...usually. And a 15-20 mile run

Feedback Score

Hahaha

Crossfit is crazy. Our 1stSgt incorporates it in our morning workouts, then again he swims 2 miles and runs 3 before morning PT.... all with a barracks on his back and a chow hall in his pocket...

But, Crossfit is a legitimate workout. By far more useful than weightlifting or the old daily seven and a run...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up Geaux Crossfit

Just took my Beginner's Assessment/Test this morning at Geaux Crossfit in Baton Rouge, LA.

I'm not sure if the Assessment is the same all over but mine consisted of the following for time:

• 500 yards on the Row Machine
    • 30 Deep Squats
    • 30 Situps
    • 20 Pushups
    • 10 Pullups

I finished it in 4 minutes 51 seconds.

I'm hooked. As I new I would be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast