Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chamfer, debur?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volucris View Post
    Well (now that I'm informed on this topic) you should actually check your neck tension provided by your dies and see what you're getting. A crimp is just going to compensate for poor neck tension.
    I have good neck tension and I crimp. Guess what! No setback issues!!

The biggest issue is that not all necks are uniform thickness so you may get different tension from one piece of brass to the next when using the same die. A little crimp is just added insurance.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    The biggest issue is that not all necks are uniform thickness so you may get different tension from one piece of brass to the next when using the same die. A little crimp is just added insurance.
    I completely agree.

Feedback Score
    How much is good neck tension, .002, .003?? when you mention good neck tension how much is good.

I'm using the same head stamped of Lake City brass, there is a small level of consistency.

Given that all brass is not created equal/ neck wall thickness. there will be inconsistent neck tension. it gets more complicated by adding crimp and further increasing neck tension.

I'm trying to avoid, measuring necks and sorting brass...... to spend more time at the range.

my next day shooting i'm going to test crimped vs non crimped (trimmed no chamfer debur)

if I get close 2 MOA, with reliability I'll stop messing with it.

for my long-range heavier pills, SPR -ish load, I'll have to go SEMI-bench rest.

"Kirk Lazarus: Everybody knows you never go full retard."
    Last edited by biglou13; 02-15-10 at 22:30.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12