Thread: 1-Day LMS Defense shotgun clinic, Sacramento on Monday 3/15

Feedback Score

1-Day LMS Defense shotgun clinic, Sacramento on Monday 3/15

LMS Defense will be presenting a 1-day shotgun clinic at the Sac Valley Shooting Center on Monday, 3-15-10.

Here's a link to an AAR from that class held last November 30th:

http://www.lmsdefense.com/forum/index.php?topic=5982.0

Below is a link to the LMS Defense schedule, which describes the class, equipment requirements, etc.:

http://www.lmsdefense.com/lms/home/courseinstance/330

Here's a chance to get out your scattergun and enjoy putting it through its paces in a challenging but fun class with a relatively low round count, meet some really nice folks and spend a Monday at the range instead of at work!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    AAR below.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-17-10 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am bringing this back up with an AAR. This is a second AAR that I am writing in two days, the first one being an AAR for Todd’s class in Sacramento. In that AAR I said there were maybe 5-6 pistol instructors that are on my “to train with” list. In regards to shotgun, I am not sure that I know more than five instructors/outfits that offer shotgun training at all. When I found that LMS was giving a class while I was in town, I absolutely had to sign in.

While I have some experience with carbine and pistol, I have zero training background with shotgun. In fact I’ve owned one for only 3 months or so. My personal goal was merely a familiarization with manual of arms, learning maintenance tips etc. Basic, beginner’s stuff.

I’ve received all that, and some more, in a compact one day package. As a principle, I don’t describe specific drills, tips, course curriculum and hardware. I will say that we received comprehensive instruction on handling the weapon, different methods of loading, unloading and other relevant things. Stance and grip issues as relevant to shotgun handling were covered. Pretty much by lunch time I’ve received all info that I came for, and then I got what I thought was icing on the cake. A dynamic portion commenced where we shot on the move, from different positions and distances, and then did some problem solving. This was very illustrative of weapon system’s advantages, disadvantages and peculiarities. So, at the end I have had basic handling skills down, and could draw a good comparison to other weapons systems, as deployed in dynamic situations, rather than static square range firing.

Josh and John provided instruction in a very professional manner and it was my pleasure to be taught by them; all questions asked were answered, and time was managed well. I would recommend this class to anybody who needs a great shotgun intro. My recommendations to future participants are directed towards making class even more fluid and time-efficient:

- Expect mild to moderate degree of exertion getting in and out of shooting positions. Those who aren’t quite fit will get winded, and will slow down the class.
    - Try to get your hits at the middle of a target. Shotgun is hard on targets and stands, and the less time is spent on target repair, the more time is spent on training.