Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First IDPA match today

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    How does one 'game' the classifier ?

I've seen people 'sandbag' the classifier, meaning intentionally shooting like crap so that they classify lower than their actual skill level.

But I don't see how you could 'game' (meaning stretching the rules) on the classifier.

Good question. The closest I can conceive is setting-up the stages and shooting them over and over (i.e. practicing the classifier match specifically). I'm not sure if I would call that gaming, though, as you're really just practicing some fundamentals.

It seems like a lot of work too (i.e. practicing) I try to avoid it at all costs. The only times I've shot the classifier stages have been in matches. Maybe that's why I'm two missed head shots away from Expert. Practice (outside of matches) is cheating! HAHA!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Yup....
    Ah, Jeff B. forgot to tell me about it! And it's one of the few times I could make it to that club this year.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are a lot of Masters around that got there by shooting the classifier over and over. While there's nothing wrong with that what happens more often than not is it takes them longer to really shoot consistent master scores in big matches. Personally I'd rather move up shooting against my peers. But either way is legit. Different strokes for different folks. I know when I shoot well I place well. I shoot IDPA to have a good time with my friends. Anything else is a bonus.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
    There are a lot of Masters around that got there by shooting the classifier over and over. While there's nothing wrong with that what happens more often than not is it takes them longer to really shoot consistent master scores in big matches. Personally I'd rather move up shooting against my peers. But either way is legit. Different strokes for different folks. I know when I shoot well I place well. I shoot IDPA to have a good time with my friends. Anything else is a bonus.

I call people who do this 'paper Masters', some do it in USPSA as well. They'll shoot classifiers like 20 times and keep the best score and sent it in but then do very poorly at matches. I suck on USPSA classifiers but do pretty well in matches. Most USPSA classifiers rarely require movement and/or very many rounds. When I first started shooting USPSA I was a middle C class shooter now I'm a B class shooter 5% from A class.
    I'd rather have great match performance than be a crappy Master level shooter who's beat a lot by shooters with lower classifications.

I usually perform at the Master level in IDPA (SSP division) and at local matches even though I'm classified as an Expert SSP shooter. The Master level between USPSA and IDPA isn't equal. Most B class shooters in USPSA can perform at the Master level in IDPA.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    The Master level between USPSA and IDPA isn't equal. Most B class shooters in USPSA can perform at the Master level in IDPA.
    I agree. But I also see it as apples and oranges. USPSA gives the shooter the benefit of dry run rehearsals and the scoring rewards speed over accuracy. The USPSA/IPSC ballet stages never appealed to me at all. I prefer the step up and shoot principle behind IDPA. Different strokes for different folks. Anyone who shoots is my brother/sister.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'm a "paper master".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm a "paper master".
    We don't hold that against you bro!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm a "paper master".
    That's cool.
    I know someone who just got Master but last year shot 37 classifiers, definately a 'paper Master', I beat this guy about 50% of the time at matches. If I was a 'paper Master' or paper anything and got beat by a B class shooter at a match, I'd be a little more than embarrassed.

I think the whole 'classifier' thing should be changed. I think they should use the sum of your whole match performance as a measure of your skill. I think this would stop the 'sandbagging'.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12