Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaking of Fitness Standards...this aint good

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    sit and reach is sitting on your butt with your feet straight out and spread apart a bit and then reaching as far as you can. The grader marks it and the distance is what the score is based off of.

I think a swim qual is a good idea, but probably won't happen for the fact that then they'd have to have qualified staff to run it which means certifications and training time, which really means money.

It's too bad because lowering the standard is just gonna screw the guys on the street.
    When you go home, tell them of us, and say: For your tomorrow, we gave our today.- John Maxwell Edmonds

Feedback Score
    The standard for that particular department is indeed, extremely weak. I am in piss poor shape at the moment, admittedly, but I can go out and run at a 7-minute mile pace for at least a couple miles. So even if that is a 7:59 mile, it comes out to a 15:58 two mile, which is still faster than their 1 1/2 mile.

Keeping in shape for the average-joe is difficult. I myself am not where I wish to be. But, if you want to become a LEO and serve your community, you have a responsibility to yourself, your fellow officers, and your fellow citizens.

If anything, the department should raise their standards into the program. However, this obviously may not be plausible. You have to deal with what you have to work with, and you have to put boots on the street. And while having an out-of-shape officer running the streets is not ideal, it is better than not hearing any sirens, and not having anyone come to your aid.

Some serious work needs to be done. Maybe a preparation program to get them into shape for testing? Just a thought from a sheep-dog.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Be nice if they added a swim requirement.

If you are going to be a professional first responder, you need to know how to swim IMO.
    It sounds like most of them could float without a problem. That isn't good enough?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    yikes... my state cant help it. there is a restaurant every .4 miles in the cities and young women parade around with pitchers of beer taunting you. its inevitable.
    Matthew 10:28

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12