Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc's highest 5.56 recommended loads available?

Feedback Score

Doc's highest 5.56 recommended loads available?

I'm new to ballistics. I've been reading and re- reading Doc's 5.56 mm Duty Loads post over the past week. I've also been reading past pertinent posts on different commercially available loads (I'm not LE).

Basically I am looking for the EXACT, best non barrier load that is available as researched by Doc.
    And I am also looking for the best intermediate barrier penetration.

The thing that gets me is that the manufacturers confuse me. For example, Hornaday, where in this thread
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31574
    Molon explains it all.
    With all the different color boxes, model numbers and differences in bullets, I can't figure it all out.
    I thought I would be getting the best non barrier load in the Hornady 80268 but after reading Molon's post, am not sure. Which one has the t2 bullet?

I went through the same mental masturbation with trying to find a intermediate barrier penetration. I can't seem to decipher or find a commercial FBI load.

I checked Grant's store for some leads, but he does not seem to have any in stock. Is it available anywhere?
    PSA has a bunch of different stuff.

Basically I am looking for the EXACT, best non barrier load that is available as researched by Doc.

Should I just settle with .223 loads, like Federal Premium Gold Medal Ammunition 223 Remington 77 Grain (GM223M3)?
    I do like the extra reach of the 5.56, but I'm an urban dweller so I don't think its necessary.

Feedback Score
    So you want a barrier blind load and a non-barrier blind load?

As someone who just went though this exercise a few months ago, you just need to pick something on the list and go with it.

If you go to Ammo To Go <http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-223-556> you can find some of the listed loads, or at least loads with similar bullets (77 gr SMK). I know they do have the Blackhills 5.56mm 50gr TSX load, which is listed as one of the top barrier blind loads. The SSA 70gr TSX load approximates, I believe, the "brown tip" load. They also have the Mk318 load, which is also mentioned on the list.

You can chase your tail around and around trying to find the perfect ammunition but, in my opinion, anything on the list should serve you well when you need it. However, as Doc puts at the top of that post, make sure you have the training to deliver the rounds on target effectively.

Just my .02

Feedback Score
    Thank you LTMatty.
    Yes, both barrier blind load and a non-barrier blind load.
    Fortunately I am thorough in many areas so I'll be taking a class with Jason Falla in the spring in CT and took one last year.
    BH sounds good.
    SSA has established their name as solid? or are they still working the kinks out.
    Last edited by ranger2; 12-27-11 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you plan on carrying dual loads or just otherwise use them in different environments?

Since the cost of quality ammo is all pretty close I don't see much point in having different loads. A barrier blind load will do almost everything the others will do and you don't have to worry about barriers or re-zeroing your weapon.

As far as 5.56 vs .223 goes obviously all else equal the 5.56 loading is better but often one is more accurate. Sometimes some are unobtainable and you are stuck with one or the other.

I get my rounds issued but if I was buying my own I would probably pony up the $$ and order from Black Hills and get the 50 gr TSX in 5.56. Granted it is about $1.30 a round but it is great stuff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i saw that ssa's 70g tsx load was asked about in this thread. i would like to hear any feedback i can get on this load as i am looking into it for a general purpose round over a 50g tsx from bh considering my general purpose includes hunting......in the rain and snow and everything else. i mention this because i have been told ssa provides no sealant in their loadings. should i be concerned with the lack of sealant considering the environments it will be used in? any other info (accuracy, qc, general dependability ext...) would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
    Last edited by kenndapp; 12-28-11 at 03:01.

Feedback Score
    Generalpie,
    The non barrier would be for HD
    and the barrier blind for just in case.
    I'm not worried about re-zeroing because my range won't be beyond 100m.
    I'll probably go with Black Hills like you guys suggest for blind barrier.
    I'll keep researching too.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you take a walk around your house and see all the stuff someone could hide behind you may rethink your choice for a gun inside.

About non sealed rounds.... How many hunting rounds are sealed in the sporting calibers? Unless you are swimming they are fine

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger2 View Post
    I'm new to ballistics. I've been reading and re- reading Doc's 5.56 mm Duty Loads post over the past week. I've also been reading past pertinent posts on different commercially available loads (I'm not LE).

The thing that gets me is that the manufacturers confuse me. For example, Hornaday, where in this thread
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31574
    Molon explains it all.
    With all the different color boxes, model numbers and differences in bullets, I can't figure it all out.
    I thought I would be getting the best non barrier load in the Hornady 80268 but after reading Molon's post, am not sure. Which one has the t2 bullet?

I went through the same mental masturbation with trying to find a intermediate barrier penetration. I can't seem to decipher or find a commercial FBI load.

I checked Grant's store for some leads, but he does not seem to have any in stock. Is it available anywhere?
    PSA has a bunch of different stuff.

Should I just settle with .223 loads, like Federal Premium Gold Medal Ammunition 223 Remington 77 Grain (GM223M3)?
    I do like the extra reach of the 5.56, but I'm an urban dweller so I don't think its necessary.

There really isn't going to be much difference between a 5.56 bonded bullet and a .223 bonded bullet.

If you want bonded 5.56, this is a great deal: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...tion&key=24455

For .223: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=LE223T1

C4

Feedback Score
    c4
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    When I went to your site I clicked ammo and saw none. I have since figured out to search by manufacturer and I saw it under Speer.
    Last edited by ranger2; 12-28-11 at 18:07.

Feedback Score
    I would prefer bonded for HD - and the only downside I see is cost - which is significant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast