Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marine Corps to issue "Open" point bullets

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdoski View Post
    I've had a limited amount of time to work with the new ammunition, but I have shot both 5.56mm (62gr) and 7.62mm (130gr) variants. Haven't had the opportunity to observe its effectiveness first hand (thank God), but from people I know "down range" at the pointy end of the"Tip of the Spear," it works like gangbusters.

We're switching over from Mk262, which, IMHO, is a BIG improvement over the M855, but is still somewhat velocity dependent for best performance. Since we nearly always have our CQB barrels installed on our Mk16s, we're very happy about this new ammunition design, since it's not supposed to be as velocity sensitive for optimum performance.

We've had 0 reliability issues, and it does seem to be "cleaner" than Mk262, which, IMHO, is the dirtiest military-issued ammunition I've ever shot. Accuracy is more than acceptable - we use a 50m zero on our CQB barrels, and, from an expedient rest in the prone, everyone on my team was able to hold quarter-sized three shot groups with minimal effort. It's not quite as accurate as Mk262, with which I've shot several dime-sized three shot groups at 100m, but it seems markedly more accurate than M855 (with which a quarter-sized zeroing group at 25 meters is considered acceptable).

I was interested to see that the bullet design uses "driving bands" instead of traditional bullet-to-bore contact - that may be part of the reason for its accuracy and increased velocity.

Regards,

Kevin
    Is there any difference in noise between the M855 vs MK318 and MK 319 vs regular 7.62 NATO? If the new rounds have less muzzle flash?

And the new rounds have a new propellant, is the powder charge still the same?
    Last edited by CheckMyBrain; 02-28-10 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckMyBrain View Post
    Is there any difference in noise between the M855 vs MK318 and MK 319 vs regular 7.62 NATO? If the new rounds have less muzzle flash?

And the new rounds have a new propellant, is the powder charge still the same?
    I'll be honest, I haven't noticed any difference between noise/flash with Mk262 and the AB49. Our next night shoot should be in a couple of weeks, and I'll try to do a side-by-side comparison and report the results here.

I don't have any insight on the propellant or powder charge - I'm just an end-user. I'll see if my contacts at Crane can shed any light, though...

Regards,

Kevin

Feedback Score
    I'll be honest, I haven't noticed any difference between noise/flash with Mk262 and the AB49. Our next night shoot should be in a couple of weeks, and I'll try to do a side-by-side comparison and report the results here.

I don't have any insight on the propellant or powder charge - I'm just an end-user. I'll see if my contacts at Crane can shed any light, though...

Regards,

Kevin
    Is the MK262 the M855 that you were talking about and the AB49 is the Mk 318?

Anyway I look forward to seeing what you have to say in a couple weeks or if any of your contacts can shed some light I would be very thankful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckMyBrain View Post
    Is the MK262 the M855 that you were talking about and the AB49 is the Mk 318?

Anyway I look forward to seeing what you have to say in a couple weeks or if any of your contacts can shed some light I would be very thankful.
    Mk262 is 77gr JHP, not M855, which is 62 gr FMJ. AB49 and Mk318 are the same, just different nomenclature for the same round. Sorry about all the jargon - we are acronym CRAZY in DOD!

Regards,

Kevin

Feedback Score
    Mk262 is 77gr JHP, not M855, which is 62 gr FMJ. AB49 and Mk318 are the same, just different nomenclature for the same round. Sorry about all the jargon - we are acronym CRAZY in DOD!

Regards,

Kevin
    Ah I see, so I take it the MK262, M855 and MK 318 all have the same chamber pressure making them the same in noise level?

Feedback Score
    "Is there any difference in noise between the M855 vs MK318 and MK 319 vs regular 7.62 NATO?"
    Just like most rifle rounds, they are all loud. With shorter barrels, they are even louder. Put a suppressor on them and they are quieter. Why all the questions about loudness?

"If the new rounds have less muzzle flash?"
    Yes, less muzzle flash.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Just like most rifle rounds, they are all loud. With shorter barrels, they are even louder. Put a suppressor on them and they are quieter. Why all the questions about loudness?

Yes, less muzzle flash.
    Sorry for the dumb questions.

As for the new MK318 rounds with less muzzle flash, the noise is still the same as the M855?

Feedback Score
    Flash has nothing to do with noise. A few decibels one way or the other--who cares, they are still loud without a suppressor, just like every rifle cartridge.

Again, why the incessant interest in noise levels?
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-28-10 at 17:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Flash has nothing to do with noise. A few decibels one way or the other--who cares, they are still loud without a suppressor, just like every rifle cartridge.

Again, why the incessant interest in noise levels?
    I was just curious because it said reduces flash and the MK 318 has a new type of powder.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Why not just throw the new powder into the MK262 cartridge line, up the production of that, and then start issuing that en masse instead of developing this new round?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast