Thread: A little AK help,please

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A little AK help,please

I'll be fully retired in few months,and am looking at a Draco AK pistol with the idea of a Form 1 for an SBR,adding a stock. Not much experience on AK's,been with AR's for the most part. Any info on the Draco,and Romanians in general would be appreciated(quality,etc.) I have a PD Captain friend who went with an AK pistol for an SBR and it's a sweet handling gun,but he tells me to stay away from any Romys.
    Just need to know if the Draco would be good to go for this,or do I need to look elsewhere. I want to keep this little project as simple as possible,I can do the work myself. Also thinking of establising a trust for this as a couple of suppressors may be in the future,also.

Thanks in advance,gents,any info appreciated.As I said,just want to keep it simple and as economical as possible.

Doc

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Romanians are the red headed step kids of the former Warsaw Pact.

They can build a decent gun, and then, sometimes, they don't.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocH View Post
    I'll be fully retired in few months,and am looking at a Draco AK pistol with the idea of a Form 1 for an SBR,adding a stock.
    The Draco is tempting and a convenient/inexpensive way to go SBR, but I don't find a 12" barrel to be what I want or worth the time and extra $200 for an NFA stamp. I'm looking to build/buy an 8" AKS 74U in 5.45 or SBR an Arsenal SLR 107ur. I'd rather go with 7.62 so the 107 is first on my list. More $$$$ but the 12" Draco just doesn't do it for me.

My only Romy is an Arizona Response Systems build that is not your average Romanian. I bought it just before the big price run up .
    Last edited by DWood; 02-20-10 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If you can find a YUGO krinkov with the underfolder stock, that would be my suggestion. (7.62x39)

Feedback Score
    The Draco's big plus is its price. You can get a Draco for $350 or so, add on the $200 tax stamp, $50 for fingerprinting and passport photos, and then buy an underfolder parts kit. Sell off all the parts other than the rear trunnion and stock assembly, drill out the rivets, rivet in the underfolder trunnion, and you've basically got a SBR for $600.

That said, Romy AKs are hit-or-miss. I wouldn't order one, but if you can get your hands on a few and pick a good one, they're not too bad. Mine's pretty decent, all told, but I noticed the retards at Century didn't replace the shepherd's hook properly when they swapped out the Romy FCG for a Tapco G2. Not a big deal, since I plan to put in a retaining plate instead of a wire hook anyway, but indicative of the level of quality control you can expect from Dracos.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gents,thanks for the responses and suggestions. Some good ideas here,so I may take another route on this.Thanks ,again.

Feedback Score
    I like the idea. This one is not mine but what I'm shooting for. A Draco SBR is my next build/project.

Last edited by scottMO; 03-18-10 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottMO View Post
    I like the idea. This one is not mine but what I'm shooting for. A Draco SBR is my next build/project.

That's similar to how I have mine planned out, though I'm going to have a MI fore-end rail and a TD stubby grip, and if I can find one, a LaRue AK Iron Dot. I'd love to put a bulgy krink-style brake like that on mine, but all the ones I've found so far are threaded for a '74, not a '47.