Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone read the book "One Second After"?

Feedback Score

Anyone read the book "One Second After"?

Any thoughts? It did not really show me anything new as far as how an EMP would effect electronics. It did make me reconsider how we, as a "civilized" people, would be effected and how deeply and far reaching it would go. Check it out, it was something of an eye opener.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)

Thumbs up

There was a segment on the Savage Nation the other night discussing EMP attacks and how vulnerable we are to them. I'll check out the book. Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by GermanSynergy; 02-18-10 at 16:19.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I happened to see this at the library under the "limited loan" section and checked it out. I was done in 2 days, hard to put down. Some very sad parts but also eye opening...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    There was a segment on the Savage Nation the other night discussing EMP attacks and how vulnerable we are to them. I'll check out the book. Thanks for the heads up.
    I've seen Glen Beck bring it up a few times but never in depth. When I read a book I normally read 5-10 pages a day, this one I read in 2 days. We have been preparing for the worst for about 5-6 years now but with limited funds (very limited recently), we have not got done as much as I would like. After reading this book we have re-priortized some of our plans. What really scares me the most is being in the eastern half of the US, too many people and not enough food. Although I have been quite familar with EMP and it's effects this book still had a very shocking effect.

Naxet1959
    I happened to see this at the library under the "limited loan" section and checked it out. I was done in 2 days, hard to put down. Some very sad parts but also eye opening...
    Even though we (many of us on this forum) have somewhat of an idea how bad things COULD get, I think any human would be shocked to see how deep and dark humanity can go. Let's pray it never happens, but my wife and I have gotten a rekindled drive for further preprations.

Feedback Score
    Said book just arrived on the big brown truck,looking forward to cracking it open this evening. On the subject of EMP, thats one of the more frustrating subjects as far as preps go...no one seems to have a handle on just what to expect.

Half of the people seem to think that everything in the world is going to fry, the other half think its an overhyped concept with no tangible real world info to back up the other halfs claims.

To put this dilemma to rest i put forth the motion that we EMP Iran and conduct studies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    Said book just arrived on the big brown truck,looking forward to cracking it open this evening. On the subject of EMP, thats one of the more frustrating subjects as far as preps go...no one seems to have a handle on just what to expect.

Half of the people seem to think that everything in the world is going to fry, the other half think its an overhyped concept with no tangible real world info to back up the other halfs claims.

To put this dilemma to rest i put forth the motion that we EMP Iran and conduct studies
    LOL

I second this studies motion

I think you for one will really enjoy this book (so to speak). I've seen a few reports on the effects of EMP and old Mac on FUTURE WEAPONS drove a car through an EMP emitter on one of his shows. Power windows still work, head lights still worked, the ECU was fried, car was dead. I've heard many times that anything with circurt boards is done for. I personally consider this a major threat and with todays reports that Iran is closer to developing nukes than previously thought, my pucker factor just went up a notch. Who knows for sure? Let us know what you think of the book, I could not put it down and finished it in two days (something I never do). Happy reading.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd just like to know if my Aimpoint and Gladius are going to be fried, if not I'm good.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This is why I leave some of my M4's in the safe with aimpoints off.

The biggest issue is items that are on or items that have continuous power going to them like your car.

I just leave one Aimpoint on and that is the one in the bedroom for that just in case situation.

ffh

Feedback Score
    I've also wondered about my Aimpoint and in fact am looking for a non-battery optic on my new M4.

I'm not sure simply leaving your Aimpoint turned off would protect it or not. I would like to think so but I'm a little worried it would still get cooked. I would love to see more studies and effects of EMP's.

Feedback Score
    I read it a while back and thought it was great. Ya'll are difintely right though, you cannot put it down. I knew a little, and I stress a little, about EMPs before this book, but after reading I really researched it a lot more and found it very interesting to say the least. Did not see anything on Aimpoints or the like though. There were a lot of things in there that I would never have thought of.

Not on EMPs but two other good reads are, Alas Babylon and Lucifers Hammer. There used to be a book thread on here somewhere but I cant seem to find it right now.
    Last edited by Joe_Friday; 02-22-10 at 17:32.
    Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast