Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RRA Elite Operator vs Custom Built?

Feedback Score

RRA Elite Operator vs Custom Built?

First post, be kind.

New to the AR world, looking for that 1st purchase - recreation, possibly hunting; no training or tactical application (I hope). And yes, I do just want an AR as something to show off during the holidays or because I think ARs will be banned. Just looking to have some fun, deck out with some crap I'll probably use a couple times a year, maybe 1000 rounds/year. I'm looking at the Rock River Arms Elite Operator for $1060. I know where it falls on 'the chart.' For what you get, it still seems like a great value. I like the buttstock, the grips, the Dominator2 Eotech mount (I plan on getting the XPS2), plus a couple mags and carrying case. Owners generally comment on the accuracy, fit/finish, and customer service.

I've been trying to build something quasi-identical to the RRA Elite Operator through BCM or the like, to get something 'further left' on the chart and can't seem to find an option combination that falls within ~$400.

Question/challenge: Is it possible to get closer to the $1K mark keeping a similar configuration? I'm not pinching pennies here, but a $400 savings would almost buy that Eotech XPS2.

Thank you

Feedback Score

I love my BCM

I have owned both a RRA and a BCM and currently only own BCM due to the problems I had with RRA. BCM is an excellent value and below is a way to get an outstanding rifle for about the same price as a RRA.

BCM STD 16" in either mid or carbine gas system, BCM BCG and Std charging handle: $570 + shipping
    Mid Length or Carbine Length handguards: $20
    Magpul MBUS rear sight: $55
    Complete BCM lower from G&R w/ MOE stock: $382 + shipping + FFL transfer

Assuming $30 for a FFL transfer fee: Total= $1057 + shipping

I don't have any first hand experience with a complete DD rifle but I have heard nothing but great things about them and they are very reasonably priced. Read all of the stickies on this site and you will understand why RRA isn't the best bang for the buck. I hope this helps.

Semper Fi

Tim

Feedback Score
    Tim -
    Thanks for the reply. I'm looking through the bravocompanyusa site and cannot find the upper mid you reference w/BCM BCG for $570? Is the upper similar to the RRA? Can you post links here or is that frowned on?

I've read all the stickies and generally understand the compromise of the RRA; seems like the package is a decent value at ~$1K. That said, I'd rather get dialed into what you're referencing.

Thanks -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    go to bravo's page, pick any standard $425 barreled upper, there is a drop down menu to add a BCG and CH for a discounted price, bringing it to $570. You can have a complete upper minus the BUIS for under $600 and it will have more desirable mil-spec features than a RRA upper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Disarray View Post
    Tim -
    Thanks for the reply. I'm looking through the bravocompanyusa site and cannot find the upper mid you reference w/BCM BCG for $570? Is the upper similar to the RRA? Can you post links here or is that frowned on?

I've read all the stickies and generally understand the compromise of the RRA; seems like the package is a decent value at ~$1K. That said, I'd rather get dialed into what you're referencing.

Thanks -
    The upper looks similar but is different in many ways. The barrel has a 1/7 twist rate and is chrome lined. It is park'd (finished) under the front sight base, and the front sight base is attached with taper pins. The barrel is MPI and high pressure tested as well. The full auto bolt carrier group has a MPI tested bolt with a properly staked gas key. If you look at the chart you will see where RRA is lacking. When I bought a RRA is was thinking that these things didn't make a difference and I was pissed when I found out I was wrong. I don't love the rail on the RRA but that is a preference item if you ask me. You can get a comparable full quad rail from Yankee Hill for $120 bucks or so if that is the type of rail you want. I'll get off my soap box and post the link now, but feel free to ask questions as they come up.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm

There should be a drop down menu where you can select the BCG and CH then hit update. Also you can read about the features I listed above on the page I linked.

Semper Fi

Tim

Feedback Score
    Here's where my knowledge peaks. That barrel looks perfect, sans the rails. How do you determine what size rails to put on for that specific barrel? I like the ones that come pre-installed with DD, LaRue, etc. Is the rail the only thing that is missing from that barrel? Is anything beyond basic skills involved with doing this? Do you need to remove the barrel to install the rail you choose?

Thanks for replying - still learning. I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    do you have stuff to put on the rails or do you anticipate putting things on the rails, because if not, they are a waste of money. There are rails made by Troy and DD etc, that do not require the removal of the barrel at all. Please read all of the sticky threads and knowledge base threads in the technical forum.
    Last edited by spamsammich; 02-19-10 at 18:09.

Feedback Score
    Here's where my knowledge peaks. That barrel looks perfect, sans the rails. How do you determine what size rails to put on for that specific barrel? I like the ones that come pre-installed with DD, LaRue, etc. Is the rail the only thing that is missing from that barrel? Is anything beyond basic skills involved with doing this? Do you need to remove the barrel to install the rail you choose?

Thanks for replying - still learning. I appreciate it.
    Well if you are definitely going to get a rail and have the money to do so now, then I would have it installed by BCM. It is more a matter of having the right tools then it is having the skills. You can watch a video on youtube or somewhere else that will show you exactly how to install a FF quad rail and as long as you have turned a couple of wrenches in your life you should be fine. A mid-length gas system would take a 9" rail without having to replace or shave down your front sight base. And like spamsammich said above, there are options out there that are still a free float design that wouldn't require the removal of the barrel in order to install the rail. DD Omega seems to be a favorite.

My advice is always to start basic and spend your money on ammo and training until you find out what upgrades work for you. IMO, a red dot type optic is much more important then a FF rail system.

Semper Fi

Tim

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    do you have stuff to put on the rails or do you anticipate putting things on the rails, because if not, they are a waste of money. There are rails made by Troy and DD etc, that do not require the removal of the barrel at all. Please read all of the sticky threads and knowledge base threads in the technical forum.
    Yes - I plan on using the rails for a front foregrip and Vltor offset light mount. I've read every sticky in the AR forum. Just wonder how to choose a rail product for the BCM barrel descibed or if there is a turn-key BCM upper that comes already installed with one for the pricing scenario. Bravocompanyusa doesn't answer phones so specific question about compatibility, sizing, etc become difficult to get answers to. I understand the one piece rails are generally considered the stronger choice, but I'm not equipped to remove barrels and that adds cost.

To get close to the RRA configuration, looks like the least expensive 16" BCM upper with barrel mounted frt sites and a DD rail is $699 (out of stock) +145 BCM BCG, $382 BCM Lower w/MOE stock, $20 handguards, $30 2 magazines, $40 case, $185 Eotech mount (comes with RRA) totals over $1500.

Look - I realize it's not apples to apples. But if you're looking for value, $1060 seems to get you a pretty decent AR15 at a decent price. I haven't been able to find a true combination of parts via custom build that gets me around the RRA price point in a similar configuration. Still seems like the RRA Elite Operator is a good value if you understand the compromises you're making.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes - I plan on using the rails for a front foregrip and Vltor offset light mount. I've read every sticky in the AR forum. Just wonder how to choose a rail product for the BCM barrel descibed or if there is a turn-key BCM upper that comes already installed with one for the pricing scenario. Bravocompanyusa doesn't answer phones so specific question about compatibility, sizing, etc become difficult to get answers to. I understand the one piece rails are generally considered the stronger choice, but I'm not equipped to remove barrels and that adds cost.

To get close to the RRA configuration, looks like the least expensive 16" BCM upper with barrel mounted frt sites and a DD rail is $699 (out of stock) +145 BCM BCG, $382 BCM Lower w/MOE stock, $20 handguards, $30 2 magazines, $40 case, $185 Eotech mount (comes with RRA) totals over $1500.

Look - I realize it's not apples to apples. But if you're looking for value, $1060 seems to get you a pretty decent AR15 at a decent price. I haven't been able to find a true combination of parts via custom build that gets me around the RRA price point in a similar configuration. Still seems like the RRA Elite Operator is a good value if you understand the compromises you're making.
    I just completed my first build. 16 middy BCM upper, BCM BCG, spikes stripped lower, lower parts kit, mil-spec CH, old Colt M16 stock, YHM flip down rear sight, C8 handgurads. I did this for about just under $1000. It's when you start throwing in DD rails and Eotech's the price soars. I will probably save and get an optic later on, but I think I built a very solid AR for the $$ spent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast