Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RRA Elite Operator vs Custom Built?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is a rainbow of uppers available on Bravo's site. Chose a turnkey option based on your projected need for the rifle. If you want some advice, it sure seems like for what your intended purpose is for the gun, a rail and eotech is way overkill. Hell, a mil-spec rifle seems a bit overkill. The RRA is probably a good fit. For my money, BCM would be the hands down winner. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    I just got my Noveske Recce 16" midlength upper and FREE lower receiver ("blem" 2nd - but I can't see anything wrong with it). Shipped and FFL fee = $920.

Add a LPK and MOE stock kit and I have a KICK ASS AR for ~$1100.

The Noveske has a Cold Hammer Forged MP tested 1:7 barrel, MP tested BCG , Forged charging handle...etc etc etc.... TOP notch stuff. It also includes a flip up rear sight (one less thing to buy).

You can always add a rail later - at least that is the route I'm taking.

Last edited by SnackCracker; 02-19-10 at 23:29.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have the RRA Entry Operator and could not be happier. Have not had any issues with it so far, the gas key is staked properly (contrary to what others say about RRA gas keys), the tolerances are extremely tight, the RRA 2 stage trigger is awesome, can't beat the price for what you get. I vote RRA.

here's mine:

Feedback Score
    First, the Eotech doesn't need a mount does it?

Here's a plan: BCM BHF 16" upper w/ BCG and CH $670
    Magpul MBUIS $59
    Magpul MOE Kit (stock, grip, handguard, any color, rail attachment provision) $99
    Spikes lower (or Aero Precision) $90
    LPK $70
    Buffer, spring, tube ~ $55

$1043

2 non-rev M PMags ~$20 (DSG Arms)

Again, I don't think the Eotech needs a separate mount. Personally, I'd rather have BCM quality bolt, hammer forged barrel (big upgrade over RRA), MBUIS and MOE furniture over the RRA rail and stock. What am I missing? Get standard BCM upper vs hammer forged and subtract $100

Or: BCM std upper, swap MI or troy 9" rail instead of MOE handguard (just get stock & grip or just stock) and be back at around same price as RRA with better rail.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You sound like you're pretty hung up on the rail system while keeping the cost down to below $1000. Allow me to introduce you to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15X. It comes with the excellent Troy flip-up sight and Troy quad-rails, and its quality is absolutely excellent.

You can get it from Larry's Pistol & Pawn for $960. Or from G&R Tactical (my choice) for $980.

If that doesn't float your boat, buy an M&P15A from G&R Tactical for $850 and get the rail system of your choice.

You're not saving yourself any money by going with the cheaper options (like an RRA, or DPMS, or BM). In the end, you'll end up paying more than what you would have paid if you had gone with the better, slightly more expensive option in the first place.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You don't NEED a riser for an Eotech but it is nice to have. I have the RRA Dominator 2 mount and it places the reticle of the Eotech sight right on top of the front sight post whereas if I didn't have the mount, the reticle would sit in line with the front sight post which can be somewhat annoying. It also moves my iron sight picture into the lower 1/3 of the Eotech window so when I look through the iron sights with the Eotech on, I don't see the reticle which is nice.

Also, if you have any questions on RRA quality, read this: http://www.ar15-ar15.com/Rock_River_...eview_s/42.htm

I think people get a little too hung up on brand preference ("if it's not ****, it isn't worth getting"). Get what fits your budget and TAKE CARE OF IT and you won't have any problems with any of the reputable manufacturers of AR's out there.
    Last edited by HKUSP.40; 02-20-10 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKUSP.40 View Post
    I think people get a little too hung up on brand preference ("if it's not ****, it isn't worth getting"). Get what fits your budget and TAKE CARE OF IT and you won't have any problems with any of the reputable manufacturers of AR's out there.
    It has nothing to do with brand preference - it has everything to do with quality. If you can get an AR that's further to the left of the chart (ie, closer to meeting the requirements outlined in the TDP) for a price that's similar or cheaper than a rifle placed further to the right, then it makes no sense to buy the one of lesser quality.

In this case, with the options the user desires at a certain price point, the S&W M&P 15X wins. He can get that for $960-$980, and buy a riser for $20.

If he's willing to give a little, he can get a Daniel Defense XV for $999 and get a Troy rail system for $100 or so from Ebay. He can get a KAC RAS (which includes the forward grip and rail covers) for about $120 from there, as well. But if all the user wants is a forward grip and a place to mount a light, he could get Magpul MOE handguards for about $30.

Honestly, like a previous user said, I think he should focus more on a red-dot sight first and go with the rail system later... the rail system is the cheap part and less important than a good red-dot sight.

And actually having enough money left over to go out and shoot the thing is more important than a red-dot sight and a rail system.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for your replies and thoughts - very helpful and appreciated. Will take some more time to research and read. Grateful a forum like this exists - incredible resource. I started talking with my friends who have had Bush/DPMS for a couple years about feedramps last week. Neither had a clue what I was talking about. "Carrier key? Staking what?" I was the newbie two months ago, now they're asking me questions.

Thank you -

Feedback Score
    I guess the problem I have with RRA is that the "extras" aren't that good or worth that much which is why they can throw all those in and still keep the same price point since the QC and materials on the rifle are less than the Colt/BCM etc. Not saying they are bad guns, just seems to be better value in a basic COLT, LMT, BCM, DD, then add a rail later. A $179 Troy TRX rail is light years ahead of the one standard on a RRA.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    strambo's hit the nail on the head with the "extras" from the RRA.. the rail and stock are pieces of shit, not worth much.. i would rather have plastic handguards and an M4 stock than either of those, for any application.

its hard for some people around here to relate with your thinking.. i have a rifle i built for no purpose other than "fun." it's KISS and sports a Colt detachable carry handle, LMT fixed front, MOE stock, Vtac handguard... very, very basic peripherals, but all damn solid. i dont know what i have invested in it.. probably not more than $1100, yet it's got a YM chrome NM BCG (denny's version, they were about as spendy as you could get at the time), WOA barrel, and sun devil billet receivers.. as is, she'll probaby out shoot and out last 90% of factory guns on the market. if i hadn't spend an extra $200 in fancy BCG and receivers, i'd probably be under a grand.

even fun, cheap guns should still be good guns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast