Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Belgish Super Soaker (aka FN FS 2000) w/pics

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Disassembled bolt carrier assembly.

You can break the bolt down further to remove the extractor, but I ain't gonna do that today.

Last edited by 30 cal slut; 02-20-10 at 16:24.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Does this look familiar?

Hell of a lot easier to clean this way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

View from the top - how the bolt carrier assembly fits into the barrel receiver.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Like the Steyr AUG, the FS 2K has a hammer group assembly.

To access it, first remove the butt plate.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

If you were an FS2K proctologist, this is what you'd see.

That white thing in the middle (far back) is the hammer, and it is in the un-cocked position.

Last edited by 30 cal slut; 02-20-10 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Hammer group assembly.

Yup, that white hunk of plastic to the left is the hammer. Lot of plastic in this thing, lol.

The hammer is cocked.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Gas piston.

I'm going to come back to this after my camera recharges.

In the meantime, here's a pic of the tool FN provides to help remove the gas plug and the piston.

It's called an OREA 892. I don't know what it means in Belgish.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

The basic rifle, with condiments.

The first thing you'll notice is the FN Tri-Rail system (which I ordered from Bart's Guns - thanks to all the M4C guys who chimed in for that tip). It replaces the stock hand guard.

To which I've added a Tango Down stubby VFG.

Troy quick detach sling mount.

Nylon sling adapter from Urban-E.R.T. Slings

Blue Force Gear VCAS, attached with a bit of jury-rigging.

Surefire 6P mounted with Weaver Quad Lock 49046

Last edited by 30 cal slut; 02-21-10 at 07:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

So, how does this thing shoot?

Overall, I LOVE IT.

+Accuracy is very good, although I haven't done too much other than zero the Aimpoint at 50 yards with 62 grain Prvi Partisan .223. At 50 yards, with a LaRue/Hensoldt Po Boy 3x Magnifier behind the Aimpoint M4, I was getting 3/4 inch groups.

At 100 yards, I was having no problem dinging 10x10 steel plates, offhand.

Barrel twist is 1:7. Barrel length is 17.4 inches on models with detachable flash hider.

+The trigger pull is pretty good for a bullpup. IMO, better than a factory Steyr AUG (which sports a 9lb trigger pull IIRC). It's still a little spongy compared to an M4.

I got a chuckle zeroing the optic. I didn't have time to boresight, so I started off at 5 yards just to get on paper.

At some point, the bullet impact at 5 yards would not change no matter how high I dialed up the elevation. 4 clicks, nuttin, 8 clicks, no change, 12 clicks, dang, 16 clicks ... no change. So then I try to see where the bullet impact is at 100 yards ... no surpise, I'm high by a good measure. So I dialed the elevation down a bit, and moved the target out to 50 yards to zero from the prone position.

-A caveat: I don't know what it is about this gun, but if your left support hand is too high up on the handguard near the gas plug, YOUR THUMB IS GONNA GET UNPLEASANTLY ZAPPED with plasma. Ow.

+I love that the brass ejection is very gentle. Right at your feet.

? I'm not sure how I feel about the mag not dropping freely. I like that feature in my M4geries. It's a definite change in the manual of arms!

- Gun doesn't get very dirty, being a piston design, but the bolt carrier assembly is a PITA to disassemble.

- The FN Tri Rail system is heavy, and pretty wide. If you are using a VFG, and want to reach your white light mounted at the 3 o'clock position, you're gonna be stretching unless you have sasquatch-sized hands.

- The safety is very noisy. Too much clicky sound.

+ Now to the reason why I selected this particular gun - it's very compact. I was shooting with 4 LEO's last weekend, and they were tooling around with M4 SBR's with 12 in bbls. The FS2K, with an overall length of 29.1 inches was a full inch shorter than these setups, and without the tax stamp!

I can see the FS2K being a nice tool for close quarters, as well as in vehicles. The LEO's that were on the line last weekend concurred with that assessment.

I'm going to putter around with this setup a little more, and run it in a class.

So far, so good!
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 02-21-10 at 06:42.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fantastic write-up of a fantastic gun. I sold mine to finance my M16, but man do I miss it.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast