Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911

Feedback Score

Long time lurker here, first time posting. I love the site, and have found it to be very informative. I see there are alot of very knowledgable people here, so I thought I would ask my question here.

I am looking to buy a 1911 soon. I am a 1911 newbie, don't know much about them. I am looking for something under 1000 bucks and wanted to get the opinion of others, other than the gunshop. I just want something to shoot the heck out of, nothing fancy. I appreciate all responses and opinions, thanks.

Levi

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For the money, not knowing exactly what you want, I think the Springfield MC Operator is the best value in 1911s. One of my shooting partners payed $940 for his. It's a lot of gun for the money

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You may be able to find a Kimber Warrior used for under $1k.

It would help us make recomendations though if you gave us more information about what you want the pistol for. Target shooting? Defense? Competition? Collectible? Etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    yeah, need your specs and needs...also if you dont mind used or not...

for example, I just bought a Les Baer stinger from the original owner (i know this because he put it back on consignment at the store he bought it from) for $1100...the store owner is a guy I have known for a while and trust and the gun is immaculate....honestly I had a hard time telling it was "used"....brand new the gun, well...it isnt $1100...

if you are willing to look for "deals" and accept a used gun you can get, IMO, a lot more gun used for what you could new...

Also, IMO, a gun is like a car, in that it devalues the second you shoot it...so if you know you are getting a good one, is firing that first shot yourself that important (especially if you are getting from a company or smith you know stands behind their work)

anyway, just my thoughts...

Feedback Score
    like said above. you can find good deals used. i recently picked up a used 60 series colt 1911 at a good price with less than 200 rds. thru it. the deals are out there, you have to look to find.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    The gun would be used for target shooting, maybe a three gun or two. It wouldn't be carried. I have been lurking over on m1911.org, and I'm kinda leaning towards a Springfield. I just want something that will run and be trouble free. I greatly appreciate the responces, and any more are welcome, thanks.

Levi

Edited to add that I don't mind used, I could possibly get more gun for the money!

Feedback Score
    If I were going to spend $1K on a new gun, I'd probably go just a little higher and get either an STI Trojan or Springfield TRP.

Or, you could get something like a Springfield mil-spec and use the rest of your $1000 to have a competent smith do some modest customizing to make it the way you want it.

Feedback Score
    Colt XSE
    "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Feedback Score
    I really appreciate all the responces. I ended up going with a gun I already am familiar with, I found a m&p45 and bought it today. I love my m&p9, so I'm sure I will like the 45 as well. I ended up getting a black model with the thumb safety. Needless to say I'm to go shoot sunday!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by merc859 View Post
    I really appreciate all the responces. I ended up going with a gun I already am familiar with, I found a m&p45 and bought it today. I love my m&p9, so I'm sure I will like the 45 as well. I ended up getting a black model with the thumb safety. Needless to say I'm to go shoot sunday!
    Dude!!!

Where are the freaking pictures??? I gotta see one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast