Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need some advice about losing weight

Feedback Score

ZIGZAG Calories

I have been in your same state before. Check out the zigzag diet. There are many calculators on the net. You need to "trick" your body into doing something else as your body has adjusted to what you are doing. This works but, it's a pain in the ass keeping a calorie diary. You will be amazed. Do NOT go under 1500 calories. I went below that, lost weight but, man my attitude was not good.

Some days you think how can I eat all these calories!!

Check it out. This might not be for you but, it worked for me.

One more thing, keep working out. More muscle mass equals higher metabolism or more calories needed for muscle maintenance. Besides you do not want to shed weight from your muscles.
    Last edited by rdc0000; 03-21-10 at 11:14.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothj View Post
    Paleo diet. Trust me it works.
    you got it right brotha.

And whoever said cut out exercise....well we just wont go there.

YOu need protein and muscle to burn fat. No muscle = more storing of fat. No protein= no muscle. No muscle and no protein = BLOB
    Last edited by St.Michael; 03-11-10 at 22:42.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
    you got it right brotha.

And whoever said cut out exercise....well we just wont go there.

YOu need protein and muscle to burn fat. No muscle = more storing of fat. No protein= no muscle. No muscle and no protein = BLOB
    A lot of you guys are being pretty hard on Bushmasterfanboy. More and more studies are showing that he's correct. From a pure standpoint of weight loss, and not worrying about fitness, I think he's correct. All things being equal, then yes, exercise combined with caloric deficits is the best way to lose weight! (No argument there)

However, exercise creates a ravenous appetite. The average person will assume they can eat a little more because they've been exercising. The problem is that most people assume they burned more calories than they actually did during their period of jogging, weight lifting, cardio, etc.. I see people every day that jog for an hour, burn 300 calories and then splurge with some crap that has 500 calories.

So, if you're not too far out of shape and want to lose your gut, you need to exercise and create caloric deficits. However, if you weigh 300 pounds and want to lose 100 pounds, I believe a caloric deficit without exercise will work best because your hunger won't be so ravenous. Thus, the program will be easier to stick with. Once you lose the weight, you can start exercising to tone up what you're left with.
    Last edited by LMT42; 03-21-10 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    Another Vote for Paleo Diet

After my experience(ongoing) the 80/20 rule(80% of your wellness is related to your diet, 20% to exercise) really holds true. Your exercise needs to be tuned to maximizing your BMR(the amount of calories your body must consume to maintain itself) so that you use up fat reserves faster. The best way is HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training: Sprints and Weights)

I specifically stick with the 12 steps outlined by Dr. Harris on his blog here
    http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

What has been working for me(-30lbs in 2 months)

Cut out all grains, minimize legumes, potatoes(i have an occasional baked sweet potato)

Cut out anything cooked with vegetable oils

I have cut dairy to a minimum of heavy cream and high fat cheeses on occasion
    A glass of milk has a pretty good amount of sugar in it

Remove sugar, especially corn syrup(sodas)

Get outside and get some sunlight everyday

Compared to other "diets" i have found it ridiculously easy to eat within these restraints.

As far as working out i avoid intense cardio, but do weights 2x a week and some sprinting, along with plenty of walking around campus.

I used fit day(free) to calculate my calories and i actually consume less calories to maintain my 24hr state of fullness than i did in the low fat diets in the past.
    Last edited by Azul; 03-28-10 at 23:38. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interval training is your best bet. You can do it in cardio workouts, and in weight training.

My favorite interval training is a few sets of one particular combination lift I've found to be very effective. Before the combination lifts, I'll do a light cardio warm up, then a normal lifting session (nothing too brutal). After that, I load up a standard barbell with a plate on each side (sometimes less if I'm feeling tired- you have to kiss your ego goodbye for this and use light weights).

Starting with the barbell on the floor, you first deadlift it, normal stance (not sumo). Once you're upright with the weight at your waist, clean the bar so that it's half resting on the front of your shoulders, and half stabilized by your grip on it. From here, do a front squat, and as you come up from the squat, press the bar up overhead (this is more or less a push-press). Lower the bar down to the ground. That's one complete rep. Usually, I'll do 4 sets of 8, or 6 sets of 6, with 60 seconds' rest between sets.

The key here is to maintain your hand position on the bar; the movements need to sort of flow together into one big lift. Also, these sorts of combination lifts are extremely taxing on your body. Once a week, twice if you're in good shape. I made the mistake of doing this routine two days in a row, and I was fatigued and lethargic for a couple of days. I think this sort of lifting is effective because it's a shock and overload to your system, but you can definitely have too much of a good thing. Cardio (interval and/or steady state) and regular lifting should be the bread and butter of your program.
    Last edited by crazymoose; 04-06-10 at 04:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
    I went from 230 back in 2005 and prior to 170 now, I have kept it off for years now ... eat clean and work out HARD! I mean biggest loser/300 style hard, not go to the gym to check out girls and stare at the hockey game on tv hard ... it will come.
    This.

Sounds to me like you need to check your intensity.

Are you telling me you can only workout 1 hour a day? Bullshit. If you're serious, find a way work your day around your workout. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time.

So do your 1 hour a day workout, and find time later in the day or earlier in the day to walk for 30 minutes. Or garden, or whatever.

I'm 46 years old, started almost exactly where sparrow was (I was 240) and am at 170 now as well.

As far as dieting without exercise is concerned; if you can't live with hunger, you're not going to lose weight anyway, so give up now and save yourself the hassle.
    Last edited by 120mm; 04-08-10 at 07:15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasitman View Post
    I started working out after about a 10 year lapse. I started at 255, and lost about 20 pounds. I have hit a wall that has lasted over 2 months. I am getting quite frustrated.

I have cut out all fast food with the exception of subway, eating high protein, low carbs, veggies and some fruit. I try to stay under 2000 calories a day, but dam, I am getting pissed off that I am not losing anymore. I only have about an hour each day to work out, 30 minutes of cardio, like a treadmill or skiing type machine (cant remember what they are called) and 30 minutes of light weights.

Any suggestions?
    Change up your workout, add resistance training, 2000 cals may be too low for you, check actual bodyfat vs weight, etc, etc. A good place to start for a workout:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28226
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123