Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Jungle" boots

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

"Jungle" boots

The latest issue of SWAT has an article about several pieces of survival gear in the author's long-term testing. One of the things he mentions is a pair of boots that are not good jungle boots because they get caked in mud and the soles trap the muck. I was reminded of this yesterday as I was standing next to my truck slapping my Vasques together banging the mud off of them.

Anyone have a good suggestion for current production boots with soles that don't trap mud? Obviously I can go buy some old army jungle boots but I'd prefer the benefit of the last 50 years of technology in a lightweight, low-cut boot that doesn't simply trap every ounce of mud it comes in contact with.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The latest issue of SWAT has an article about several pieces of survival gear in the author's long-term testing. One of the things he mentions is a pair of boots that are not good jungle boots because they get caked in mud and the soles trap the muck. I was reminded of this yesterday as I was standing next to my truck slapping my Vasques together banging the mud off of them.

Anyone have a good suggestion for current production boots with soles that don't trap mud? Obviously I can go buy some old army jungle boots but I'd prefer the benefit of the last 50 years of technology in a lightweight, low-cut boot that doesn't simply trap every ounce of mud it comes in contact with.
    Hmm. I'll throw this out there... though i'm not sure they're exactly what you are wanting. Look into 'upland' or bird-hunting type boots or shoes. They have soles designed to shed dirt/soil, some have light weight kangaroo constriction, and are available w/ GoreTex. The only catch: you might find 'em ugly. ymmv

Upland boots

Upland boots are designed for lightweight walking comfort, with a soil-shedding sole and a lighter lug design. Upland bird hunters put on a lot of miles and don't need a lot of weight to carry along, or a design that accumulates heavy mud along the way. A heavy-lugged sole isn't needed for traction, and support isn't generally an issue, since most upland hunting is done on moderate terrain.

Francone noted that a good example of a lightweight upland bird boot would be Kangaroo Upland Boots, stating that ounce for ounce it is hard to find a tougher boot. Kangaroo leather is lighter and stronger than cowhide of equal thickness. Another option is the Upland Premier™, which uses extremely soft Pittards leather from England, for broke-in comfort right out of the box. The addition of a full GORE-TEX® bootie ensures that your feet stay dry. Both the Kangaroo Featherlight and the Upland Premier™ are offered in uninsulated versions for the early season and in Thinsulate insulated models for chasing wild roosters through November and December.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Don't mind the looks at all, and don't need goretex either. Light weight is a definite plus.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Was just reading the Oakley boot thread, and learned of OTB boots. You might check those too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What are you using them for? You might take a look at these Red Wings.
    Last edited by Erik 1; 02-24-10 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    Speaking of Oakleys....

My Oakley boots seem to shed mud quite well. Much better than the Vibram soles on all my Danner boots. I don't know how they would perform in the Florida swamp mud though....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGreg View Post
    Was just reading the Oakley boot thread, and learned of OTB boots. You might check those too.
    The OTBs are the ones in the article that are caked in stuck-on mud.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Spent last week working entirely in, on average, ankle-deep mud. I haven't done anything to these but stomp on asphalt, to clean 'em up:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The OTBs are the ones in the article that are caked in stuck-on mud.
    The OTB uses a different sole than what is on the issued jungle boot. The traditional jungle boot had what they called a Panama style sole. I never had any problems with the boot other than in cold weather.
    Last edited by Iraq Ninja; 02-25-10 at 04:42.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have been looking at these http://www.salomon.com/us/#/footwear...packer-mid-gtx

but they don't come in wide which I need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast