Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Jungle" boots

Feedback Score
    I have never had a problem with Panama soles. Truly self cleaning

I have heard criticism on the OTB Jungle Lites since they came out, aesthetically inspired but not functional. Specifically relating to the redesign of the sole and the reshaping of toe area. Hopefully New Balance gets the whip cracking on them.

Hiking Shoe Brands
    Asolo
    Keen
    Salomon

For military style boots
    Danner
    Belleville models with the Vibram soles
    Last edited by Azul; 02-24-10 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    I havent read the article BUT I have used OTBs in some of the muddiest conditions in the world, Central American Caves.

Prior to OTBs I was using Danner Desert Acadias because they were heavy duty and not waterproof (vents and no goretex). Downside is they are heavy and the roughout leather soaks up water.

Prior to the DDAs I was using Wellco Jungles with the updated sole. I had a pair of these self destruct during a cave resuce training mission and led to an injury.

I have used the Odhins extensively and they do clear of mud pretty quickly. I have not used the current OTB jungles. I am not sure which the article is discussing.

Down side on the Odhins is that the sole is vented, great for drainage when you are in a super wet environment. Not great in an environment where you may encounter a few small puddles and a standard boot would keep your feet dry (think a range that recently got a little rain).

Personally, the Odhins are my go to boots for sustained wet environments. For intermediate environments (range example) are Merrel Moab Mids in Gore tex. I have a couple of colleagues that swear by the Moab Mids without Gore tex for continuous wet environments. I like them for dry environments but havent used them down south.

I spent years wearing heavy boots like the vasque sundowners and some of the full leather Merrells. Except for some very specific missions the negatives dont outweigh the positives. Lighter, faster, more capable is my new motto and the Odhins and Moabs meet those descriptors.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azul View Post
    I have never had a problem with Panama soles. Truly self cleaning

I have heard criticism on the OTB Jungle Lites since they came out, aesthetically inspired but not functional. Specifically relating to the redesign of the sole and the reshaping of toe area. Hopefully New Balance gets the whip cracking on them.

Hiking Shoe Brands
    Asolo
    Keen
    Salomon
    Keen is a great company... awesome comfort. I have 6 pairs of their shoes & boots. The 7th on the way. I wouldn't say they are soil shredders though, but worth checking out for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I thought the Panama soles were designed on the tractor tire concept and were supposed to be very good at shedding mud? I brought a pair with me to SE Asia, but never put them thru their paces as they were so uncomfortable.

I wore TNF Adventure Racing shoes with attachable mesh ankle gaitors that had soft rubber soles mixed with very hard rubber/plastic knobs and they were absolutely fantastic in mud, swamps, mountains but would skate bad on wet slick boulders because of the hard knobs.The proprietary gaitors were the best I ever used in the jungle... very coarse mesh so they breathed just fine, and kept leeches and debris out, but not designed to be water proof at all which is good. Very well thought out design

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The classic Panama sole does work well with mud. I just edited my previous post since it could be read as suggesting that the OTB boot had a Panama sole.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Panama is poor in muddy situations, just that the OTB version is not as good.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The OTB in question in the article is the Jungle Boot.

I'm not so much interested in that boot, or a traditional "jungle" boot, as I am something in a modern hiking style boot that has a sole that doesn't trap mud. Right now I wear Vasques but I've had them so long I don't know what model they are.

I need a new pair of boots anyway, and am just looking for some input on possible choices that are light weight, preferably no Goretex, and have a sole that doesn't trap mud. Yes, these will be primarily for range use, and in the coming months we'll be entering our rainy season down here and mud on the range is something we'll be dealing with. Standing water is rare, or at least my need to traverse standing water is rare, but large portions of the range turn to mud pretty regularly.

Feedback Score
    ^In that case, you might want to try either the Merrell Moab Ventilators, or (if you can find them) the Sawtooths.

Sawtooth Link

Ventilator Link

I've got a pair of Vents with the Gore-Tex insert. They're awesome.

I won't say that they shed mud, but they do a decent job of keeping me from slipping while walking in mud. They do clean up pretty easily, however.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another thumbs up for the Moab Mids with Goretex. These are great boots for any wet condition. I've worn them hunting here in the Central VA clay, snowshoeing in Taos, all through our recent snows and my feet never got wet. Nice light boot that has the comfort of the Ventilator with the added dryness.

ETA, they shed mud better/easier to clear than my other boots which include Montrail, Red Wings and Vasque. My Filson Uplanders are great for mud but they are a taller boot than you are looking for.
    Last edited by vaspence; 02-25-10 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have these boots by Irish Setter, (made by Red Wing that was mention previously in this thread)

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/iris...gshooter-brown

They do a good job of shedding mud, but are not light... in fact they are anything but light. I only mention this because upland boots and red wings were offered as suggestions.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The OTB in question in the article is the Jungle Boot.

I'm not so much interested in that boot, or a traditional "jungle" boot, as I am something in a modern hiking style boot that has a sole that doesn't trap mud. Right now I wear Vasques but I've had them so long I don't know what model they are.

I need a new pair of boots anyway, and am just looking for some input on possible choices that are light weight, preferably no Goretex, and have a sole that doesn't trap mud. Yes, these will be primarily for range use, and in the coming months we'll be entering our rainy season down here and mud on the range is something we'll be dealing with. Standing water is rare, or at least my need to traverse standing water is rare, but large portions of the range turn to mud pretty regularly.
    Living in south GA we have the same issue. Very hot, humid summers but our range does get puddles. I also wear a 4E wide. Does anyone have any suggestions on a boot that breathes but is water resistant and comes in a wide? Like Rob looking for a modern hiking style boot instead of a jungle boot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast