Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm NATO equiv load?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

9mm NATO equiv load?

Reading the posts about “handgun truths” on another forum here I noticed one writer recommending 9mm NATO 124gr FMJ for duty use instead of JHP’s in certain situations. It’s an idea worth practicing, but I don’t have a load recipe for this cartridge.
    Anybody got a recipe to share?

ETA: Not getting into debate about bullet choice, this is question about a load recipe.
    Please look at the referenced thread, especially posts #129 and #179, to join the bullet debate.
    ETA2: Link to referenced thread - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ls-(add-yours)
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 08-19-18 at 05:42.

Feedback Score
    Work up to around 6gr of power pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    In what scenario is that crappy load optimal? NATO isn't that hot, and the bullet (from my readings) has a reputation for just zipping through the enemy and not dropping him.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    6.3 grains AA5 is max load in 9mm+p, according to AA load data. Should be close enough.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    6.3 grains of AA5 is max +p load according to AA load data. That's what I would do. Close enough.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 08-17-18 at 22:39.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    124 gr. Ball is not what I'd carry.
    I load a 124 gr. G.D. H.P. with HS-6 and replicate the G.D. +P factory load. Have an ammo can with about 1500 rds. for carrying at the ranch, goofing around. I use "real" factory G.D. or 124 gr. +P HST for carry.

With VERY FEW exceptions my belief is gun-writers follow that saying- "them's that can do, them's that can't teach"- or write for gun mags.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I searched for “handgun truths” and a lot of threads popped up. Please provide a link to the specific thread you are referencing.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I searched for “handgun truths” and a lot of threads popped up. Please provide a link to the specific thread you are referencing.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ls-(add-yours)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The poster from handgun truths doesn’t get it. I wouldn’t be taking any advice on carry ammo from him.

Feedback Score
    I believe the poster you are referring to comes from a country that has been at war since it’s inception. But not against the hopped up weight lifting drug thugs or other “normal” US of A threats. If you’ve lived in his world you would be prone to take a more military oriented opinion on damn near everything. Over there hordes of people want to kill you because of how you pray to God. You learn to perfect the headshot shortly after you get out of High School (or its equivalent).

Personally, here in the U.S. I’m happiest with a bunch of Gold Dots, SXT Bonded or other good Jhp ammo and my pistol d’jour. Save the NATO spec stuff for warzones.

Edited to add: Alliant’s BE86 works well using their 124gr load data. Remember NATO ammo uses a pretty stout bullet jacket. You might want to buy some IMI or Winchester 124gr factory stuff to see what you are trying to copy.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 08-27-18 at 21:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast