Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So you want to reload but you don’t know where to begin (??)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbvivid View Post
    Good gravy, helluva post. I've been mulling all this over in information overload for months now.

Good info and would make a nice sticky.

Thanks!

Thank you.. hopefully this will help lay it out a little simpler for you??. I’m glad you found the thread helpful..

Have a great one and best of luck to you on your upcoming adventure into reloading.. The only down side is you’ll spend all your money on reloading supplies.. Hahahaha.. Good times..

Link..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark71 View Post
    As someone who is planning on getting into reloading I really appreciate you posting up this thread.
    Thanks

Should definitely be a sticky.
    Excellent this post was written in hopes of helping out the new guy, or at least providing you /them with enough information to build a strong foundation to work off of.. Best of luck to you sir..

Please remember the only stupid questions in reloading is the one not asked..

Link..

Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Thank you for your awesome contribution to the forum. My vote for a sticky.
    You're more than welcome sir, I glad you enjoyed it / I could help..

Yes a sticky would be nice…. Mods???..

Quote Originally Posted by Bantee View Post
    As is the norm for you, that was an excellent post. Thank you for taking the time to compile all that info as I will hopefully try my hand at "rolling my own" this year. This post covered alot of ground.
    Thank you Bantee, you're too kind..
    Yes… by all means sir you must try your hand at “rolling your own”….There is no greater feeling than being able to produce all of the (safe) ammunition you can ever shoot.. the key word of course being safe. As much information that I have presented here, it’s nothing in the overall picture of reloading.. Knowledge is power and Knowledge will keep you safe.. I strongly encourage everyone to read as much as then can then follow-up with team for confirmation. The one GREAT thing about reloader’s is we are a giving bunch of guys..

Have a great one sir and thanks again for the compliment and your time..

Link.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great resource! I'm just starting on reloading and been doing lots of reading online and it's difficult to get info and you get it in bits here and there. Here is a great source of LOTs of information and I will start reading it starting this afternoon. Thanks for compiling it all!
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the great post. I've been looking into reloading myself and this post really helps. +1 for sticky.

Feedback Score
    I would say to the new reloaders out there looking to save money getting started, don't discount used equipment!

Used reloading equipment is usually a steal! Many of the gunshops near me carry used equipment for sale.

Some stuff you want new, but there is virtually no way you are going ruin a set of dies, or say an old cast iron RCBS rockchucker press. I have saved a bundle buying used equipment over the years.

Reloading is fun and can be very rewarding, as far as saving money......well, I shoot a lot more!
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Feedback Score
    i was especially interested to read ur views on the PTX. i gave up using the ones i got w/my LNL progressive and went back to an expander die. now i know it's not just me that has a problem w/it. and ur right, the instructions that come w/the LNL really suk!! an engineer, not an end user, obviously wrote em. also, i gave up on using the electric case feeder loading .40 cal S&W. found out that neither tube supplied is the right size for that caliber. when i switch to .45acp i am really hoping that situation improves. several people on the net on loading sites have told me that they have the same problem w/the .40 case feeding properly. but, when i call hornady techs they are friendly and helpful. thanks for a great post!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    I would say to the new reloaders out there looking to save money getting started, don't discount used equipment!

Used reloading equipment is usually a steal! Many of the gunshops near me carry used equipment for sale.

Some stuff you want new, but there is virtually no way you are going ruin a set of dies, or say an old cast iron RCBS rockchucker press. I have saved a bundle buying used equipment over the years.

Reloading is fun and can be very rewarding, as far as saving money......well, I shoot a lot more!
    I was fortunate to learn/taught on an old RCBS Rockchucker. I feel it is important to learn on a single stage press all of the steps versus jumping onto a progressive press where 6 things happen at once. I still use a Rockchucker to load for a 308 and 22-250. However, I have 2 Dillon Machines that I use for pistol and the other for 223.
    si vis pacem, para bellum!

Please leave feedback for me here!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50419

Feedback Score
    Thanks to the initial poster for taking the time to put this thread together. Now I know where to start, I am going with the 650 with the case feeder, not the 1050. I plan to start with 45 ACP.

Couple of questions:

I am leaning toward ultrasonic cleaning of the cases. Specifically removing the used primer and cleaning the cases in the manner described here http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

I am going to use a larger ultrasonic cleaner. I don’t want to deal with the dust associated with the media.

Any thoughts or suggestions on ultrasonic cleaning?

I looked through the list of vendors linked above in hopes of finding components to match a particular load. I like the Georgia Arms 185 gr. Round Nose FMJ.

I can’t find a bullet manufacturer that sells 185 gr round nose full metal jacket bullets. The closest is berry’s plated bullets. I thought sierra, but it is not truly round nose and it is too expensive to make it worth reloading for my purposes.

I contacted Georgia Arms and was told they do not sell the bullets.

Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lwhazmat5 View Post
    I was fortunate to learn/taught on an old RCBS Rockchucker. I feel it is important to learn on a single stage press all of the steps versus jumping onto a progressive press where 6 things happen at once.
    Waste of money. Start with the progressive and use it like a single stage to learn with... Just put one round in and treat it like a simple turret.

There is nothing you can learn on a single stage that you cannot learn on a progressive.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    Waste of money. Start with the progressive and use it like a single stage to learn with... Just put one round in and treat it like a simple turret.

There is nothing you can learn on a single stage that you cannot learn on a progressive.
    Word!

My first (and only) press was/is a 550. I loaded one round at a time until I understood how to properly run it.

Buy once; cry once.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seacoastnh View Post
    Thanks to the initial poster for taking the time to put this thread together. Now I know where to start, I am going with the 650 with the case feeder, not the 1050. I plan to start with 45 ACP.

Couple of questions:

I am leaning toward ultrasonic cleaning of the cases. Specifically removing the used primer and cleaning the cases in the manner described here http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

I am going to use a larger ultrasonic cleaner. I don’t want to deal with the dust associated with the media.

Any thoughts or suggestions on ultrasonic cleaning?

I looked through the list of vendors linked above in hopes of finding components to match a particular load. I like the Georgia Arms 185 gr. Round Nose FMJ.

I can’t find a bullet manufacturer that sells 185 gr round nose full metal jacket bullets. The closest is berry’s plated bullets. I thought sierra, but it is not truly round nose and it is too expensive to make it worth reloading for my purposes.

I contacted Georgia Arms and was told they do not sell the bullets.

Any suggestions?
    +1 that ultra sonic is a waste. contact LASER-CAST fro OREGON TRAIL for ur bullets. hard as hell, can be loaded to jacketed specs.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast