Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: So you want to reload but you don’t know where to begin (??)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I second the T-7. I have mine set up with .223 and .45 on the same head. The slide-bar priming system is reasonably functional, and the thing overall is built very solid. The primer collection system has worked every time with no lost spent primers. I do use Lee dies to save a bit of money. On the second head I'm planning to put 4 Lee 9mm dies, the Lee trimmer head for .223, and the RCBS collet puller. Having 7 stations on a head really gives you a lot of flexibility in how you want your press set up.
    Sure, the Redding is more expensive than the Lee, but don't look at the initial investment. Treat this as a one-time purchase that will last the rest of your life. Spread out over 30+ years, (and perhaps passing it down to your kids), I think the Redding press is a far smarter investment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well I just ordered the whole shebang from Brian Enos. Got a Dillon 550 with all the basic goodies to get started loading 9mm. I'll get the kits for my other calibers later on when I learn how to do everything. I'm also going to put some of those additions on my Christmas list.

Now I just need to get some bullets, primers, and powder.
    America is not at war... The U.S. Military is at war... America is at the mall.
    I love cigars!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Very informative thread. Setting up to reload is the first major project I have planned for next year and reading through this was a big help.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Great Info/ Average Cost Per Round?

I realize there are many variables, but considering todays prices for powder, primers and bullets, I still have enough brass to start, what is the average price per round y'all are able to reload 9, 45, 223, 06?

Also interested in ballpark price for a complete progressive setup, if anyone has recently put one together.

I have reloaded for ceterfire many many moons ago, when the cost of ammo was NEVER a consideration. Single stage mostly to play with accuracy and performance. Then shotguns for trap/skeet. Then I had kids and time was of great importance, the time I spent on reloading was time we didn't shoot or do other things with them. The price difference of my time vs cost of ammo was not worth it to me.

Now, I have more time and ammo prices are OUTRAGEOUS, so I am seriously considering a progresive setup to reload 9, 45, 223, and possibly 06, and break out the old Garrand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjxds View Post
    I realize there are many variables, but considering todays prices for powder, primers and bullets, I still have enough brass to start, what is the average price per round y'all are able to reload 9, 45, 223, 06?

Also interested in ballpark price for a complete progressive setup, if anyone has recently put one together.

I have reloaded for ceterfire many many moons ago, when the cost of ammo was NEVER a consideration. Single stage mostly to play with accuracy and performance. Then shotguns for trap/skeet. Then I had kids and time was of great importance, the time I spent on reloading was time we didn't shoot or do other things with them. The price difference of my time vs cost of ammo was not worth it to me.

Now, I have more time and ammo prices are OUTRAGEOUS, so I am seriously considering a progresive setup to reload 9, 45, 223, and possibly 06, and break out the old Garrand.
    I haven't even calculated it. It's more of a hobby for me than a money saver.
    America is not at war... The U.S. Military is at war... America is at the mall.
    I love cigars!

Feedback Score
    Nevermind, I found my answer.
    Last edited by T.B.; 12-31-13 at 00:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    40 years experience here.

One thing I strongly recommend is for new loaders to commit to learning the "whys " behind each choice and each step of the process. I don't think loaders should just be satisfied with mechanically replicating what someone else does without understanding the fundamentals.

As far as cost, i recently calculated that a box of 50 .357 158 grain LSWC costs me $6.50 to make (marginal cost, assumes I already have brass). That box of factory ammo is At least $25.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 09-02-18 at 10:33.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567