• Ed Brown Special Forces w/ Light Rail

8 16.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new 1911...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Need a new 1911...

After waiting 14months for my SA Pro, I put in another order for another Pro but with a rail. Now I got to thinking why not start collecting high end 1911s? So basically I would like some input on which 1911's you guys prefer. My requirements are rail, standard bushing, and Gov't size. I would prefer something that is on par with my PRO and no more than $3500.00 I've listed a few in the Poll and if you got another I should have please add in your post. Keep in mind this gun will be mainly for Duty, Carry, SD/HD, and range training/fun.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I only have experience with NHC, so that's where my vote would go. I wouldn't mind a Wilson one of these days, but I need to find a way to sneak it past the wife.
    "...but on the surface it looks like a Satan sandwich." Rep. Emanuel Cleaver

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    why not pick out a pistolsmith and have a gun built to be what you want rather than just buying a package gun that is on the same level or not as good as the package gun you have and the other one on the way...

There are several pistolsmiths that have reasonable waiting lists and turn out some impressive looking work.

Nevertheless, if I were going to buy a semi-custom (package) 1911 from one of those listed in the poll it be a Wilson, without any hesitation.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm gradually working my way up, right now I'd just like a package gun.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    two pro's and you still want a package gun? there still are some very nice used customs floating around well under the $3500 mark. the mark morris colt (i've been dreaming of one for 10 years) comes to mind.

$3500
    http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/...hp?f=11&t=8109

$2800 unfired yost colt
    http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/...hp?f=11&t=8128

$3000 Garthwaite
    http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/...hp?f=11&t=8001
    Last edited by theJanitor; 02-25-10 at 22:13.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why not take LAV's pistolsmithing class? It is around the same price and you'd learn more than a lifetime of surfing forums and "collecting" 1911s.

M_P

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    Why not take LAV's pistolsmithing class? It is around the same price and you'd learn more than a lifetime of surfing forums and "collecting" 1911s.
    M_P
    That is a good point. Once you get to know the inner workings then you will be a lot wiser about your purchases.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Taking a pistol smith course would be ideal you are correct, but unfortunately his courses are no where close to me for the 2010 schedule. The cost of the course, materials, flight, food, and hotel is a little too much.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    Keep in mind this gun will be mainly for Duty, Carry, SD/HD, and range training/fun.
    As opposed to what exactly?

In all seriousness though, I'd turn the SA Pro into my duty, carry, SD/HD, and range training/fun gun and spend the rest on shooting the son of a bitch. However, of your listed choices, I vote Wilson.
    "Shoulder to Shoulder"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly'nBuff View Post
    As opposed to what exactly?

In all seriousness though, I'd turn the SA Pro into my duty, carry, SD/HD, and range training/fun gun and spend the rest on shooting the son of a bitch. However, of your listed choices, I vote Wilson.
    Well I'm sure there are some 1911 aficionados out there who collect high end guns and never really shoot or abuse them. Or people out there who are on budget and just want a weekend plinker. I just wanted to clarify so people didn't suggest guns that weren't really in the spectrum of what I need it/want it for. Thank you for your input! I currently have about 1800rds through my Springfield and haven't cleaned it since the initial cleaning. I need to clean that thing...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast