Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new soft shell...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Carhartt makes some nice soft shells with useful pockets. They aren't as inexpensive as the Condor offering but they do cost less than many of the others. I also find that the shorter cut of the Carhartt jackets work well with belt rigs which is a big plus for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewdanger View Post
    Carhartt makes some nice soft shells with useful pockets. They aren't as inexpensive as the Condor offering but they do cost less than many of the others. I also find that the shorter cut of the Carhartt jackets work well with belt rigs which is a big plus for me.
    Can you link to some of the products you're talking about? I'm cruising their site and not really seeing a 1:1 but like their quality and would like to see what they have.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tall guys:

Beyond Fleece/Beyond Tactical will custom make you a jacket tailored to your exact size.

www.beyondtactical.com

Their stuff is outstanding, and not out of line with other high-end manufacturers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Can you link to some of the products you're talking about? I'm cruising their site and not really seeing a 1:1 but like their quality and would like to see what they have.
    He might mean this one http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=10928

or http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductDetailPage
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rob- While not premium or overbuilt, there are some Cabelas, LL Bean, and Columbia soft shells that might work for what you need. At their price point, they can be a good value.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxSoldier View Post
    Someone said that the condor ones would make good training jackets. At 80-90 bucks you wouldn't feel as bad if you accidentally ruined it instead of a 2-300 dollar jacket.

Imported knockoff equipment with cheap zippers should be "low cost". Almost every Condor piece of equipment I've seen or used myself has had broken zippers after its been used for awhile. This includes weapon cases that cops are only carrying to and from their cruisers.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    What are some reputable manufactures?

I am leaning towards OTTE Gear, anyone have experience with them?

I've been wearing OTTE Gear softshells for 2+ years. I've worn it under hard armor while kicking in doors, while low crawling (real low crawling not hand sand knees) over thorns and rocks, daily wear while working plain clothes details, and its the first jacket I grab when I head out doors for every day wear.

I love the jacket as much as any man can have affection for a soft shell. Its very comfortable, the pockets are in the right places, the jackets have held up even when I've been doing things that I swore was going to ruin them.

Below is a review that I wrote awhile back, I should probably update it to show the extended use its gotten after an additional year or so of wear. If I can answer any question about it, let me know. I don't any money from OTTE Gear, but I know their guys, and when its Christmas time, you can bet I'm making orders with them for friends and family.

Lots of info, stories, and pictures below.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...read.php?t=772
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score

Tad Gear vs Otte

So anyone have both or had both? Which one is better? I know, personal preference right?

Paul

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've had a few TAD gear jackets that have all held up well for me. I'm not sure how their sizing applies to people with long torsos. My good friend has a pretty long torso and his TAD gear Spectre fits him very well.

I also have to say that after all the money I've poured in to TAD gear stuff, I still like my 5.11 Sabre softshell a lot. Removable hood, LOTS of pockets. And a sturdy, and big, enough inside pocket to hold a full size 1911. Plus, there's vertical zippers at the waist at 3 and 9 o'clock that you can unzip to get really quick access to a holstered handgun. Makes it a great carry jacket, while still being very water proof and all around comfortable. For the price I think it's pretty competitive.

Feedback Score

TAD

Okay, took the jump and ordered a Spectre Hoodie LRPv2 Tan.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast