Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help deciding on 1911 grips

Feedback Score

help deciding on 1911 grips

I've decided to get some "high speed" grips for my latest 1911 build. I usually do pretty well gripping a relatively smooth gun, and find that heavily textured grips or checkered front straps dig in WAY too much- call them tender doctor hands I guess. I narrowed down to various varieties if davidson's, vz's and the simonich/striders, plus a few others. I do not want to buy brand new grips knowing first thing i need to do is take a sander to them. any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Have you looked at Alumi grips.
    http://www.alumagrips.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1

They make a nice durable smooth grip.

I prefer wood, but almost anybody makes nice wood grips.

You like unique check out
    http://www.thefinergrain.com/

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Well if you don't like rough texture or the need to sand upon arrival/install, I would steer completely clear of the Simonich/Strider "Gunner Grips".

They are quite aggressive, and require some sanding if you don't want to be rubbed raw shooting without gloves.

The VZ's I had were very nice, but not aggressive enough for me.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I like the VZ 320s.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by tracker722; 06-20-11 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I don't have any experience in this area, but David Barnes of VCD Grips is a member here at M4C. He does custom work, so why not get them made the way you want them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The VZ Gatorback grips are pretty good. As well as their double diamond G10 grips. Both provide plenty of grip without needing to be sanded down.
    "...but on the surface it looks like a Satan sandwich." Rep. Emanuel Cleaver

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I give the nod to Larry Davidson. http://davidsonknives.com/grips/grips.htm

He did a hybrid of his Warthog/Horned Lizard grip that is my absolute favorite 1911 grip. I asked him to sand them down for concealed carry, and they are perfect. They would treat your girlish.... err "doctor" hands just fine.

He is great to work with, and can pretty much create anything you can dream up.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My first grips were from VZ, they were diamond backs. Extremely aggressive and sharp. After 500rds straight, my hands were raw and had to wear my gloves to continue to shoot. I then ordered Aliens from VZ and have been using those since...very nice compromise between comfort and grip.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    not sure what qualifies as high-speed, but here is my suggestion on grips. None of them are abbrasive, but they all offer good traction.

1. Crimson trace laser grips
    2. Spegel grips
    3. VZ Double diamond
    Last edited by David Thomas; 05-06-10 at 23:11.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast