Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help deciding on 1911 grips

Feedback Score
    What is wrong with Houge smooth wood grips? I wonder what you guys would do with the new Glock RTF grips?
    Frankly this is the first time I hear about grips for 1911's being too rough when in general they are not too rough even for women.

Feedback Score
    For agressive grips I prefer Gunner Grips or the VZ operator II's, if you have smaller hands the VZ's might serve you better as they have a relief cut on the grip that allows you to hit the mag release a little easier. I don't suffer from soft hands or sensative skin, and I can shoot 500 rounds a day for multiple days and not have any issues. I'm also not bothered with them rubbing on me in a strong side belt carry.

I also like the Crimson trace lazer grip in particular the LG-401, how ever I find that I need to take a soldering iron to them to give them a little texture. Durability of the lazer grip is pretty decent and the times I have had them go down they have repaired it and sent it back very quickly. Don't be scared off with durability issues, from my statement I can and do break just about everything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Slayer View Post
    What is wrong with Houge smooth wood grips? I wonder what you guys would do with the new Glock RTF grips?
    Frankly this is the first time I hear about grips for 1911's being too rough when in general they are not too rough even for women.
    the Classic wood grips actually seems smooth to me, The Glock RTF frame isnt very agressive compared to a set of Unsanded Gunner grips. I actually think the RTF frame could have been more agressive, but i think im in the minority on that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikL View Post
    I can shoot 500 rounds a day for multiple days and not have any issues. I'm also not bothered with them rubbing on me in a strong side belt carry.

ErikL I was talking about the original posters comments and some that are like him. The only thing shooting 500 rounds does to me is the damage to my pocket book.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The trend seems to be going toward more aggressive grip textures.

I tried a set of Gunners and I have tried Diamond Backs. Both were too much of a good thing in my opinion for concealed carry.

Like I said earlier the Crimson Trace option really should be considered. If not, I would not hesitate to get a nice set of Spegel's. They hold up real well to use and daily carry, contrary to what one might think.

Here is a set of Spegel's on a RRA

This gun (with the Spegel grips) has been through a CSAT 2 day handgun course, a 2 day Ken Hackathorn class, and a Vickers Tactical 3 day pistol/carbine course, plus it once served as my carry gun and a lot of shooting outside of formal classes. The only real wear on the grips is on one the top diamond on the left side from using a handheld flashlight.

The checkered cocobolo offers some traction, but poses no risk of being overly aggressive.

comparison pic of when the grips were newer:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After playing with lots of different 1911 grips, including the VZ's, Gunners and a bunch of others, I've found that Hogue rosewood double-diamonds are ideal for just about everything.

Feedback Score
    With checkered front straps I use VZ Diamond Back grips.

With Rogers golf balls or Heinie scallops on the front strap I prefer Simonich Gunner Grips.

On plain front straps, I like the old-school Pachmeyer GM-45C rubber grips.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have Simonitch grips on my Springfield Armory MC Operator. They are very aggressive out of the package, but they include some sand paper which allows you to adjust the aggressiveness to your liking. I hit mine with the sand paper and now they have a great balance of aggressive texture and comfort.

I have VZ micartas on my Wilson CQB. Very comfortable and I think they might be better suited for concealed carry as they won't eat your clothes up, but they might be a bit slick, especially if your front strap isn't checkered.

I don't think you'd go "wrong" with either of those two choices. The Simonitch grips start out very aggressive but you can then modify them to your own comfort level.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Damn Templar take good pictures.

Based on my needs I went with Gunner Grips.

Here is a thread I started a couple years ago I started on the same subject:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8111
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of the Gunner grips.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast