Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: film-maker airlifted from wildernes- dying of starvation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

film-maker airlifted from wildernes- dying of starvation

It promised to stretch reality television to the limit: one man pitting his wits against the Yukon wilderness with just a camera for company.

But hopes for an epic three-month contest between man and nature were dashed when adventurer Ed Wardle failed to go the distance.

Seven weeks after striding out into the rugged forests of western Canada armed with a rifle and a fishing rod, Mr Wardle had to be airlifted back to civilisation suffering from starvation.

He sent out a distress call five weeks before he was due to finish filming his one-man survival programme Alone In The Wild for Channel 4.
    'Intrepid explorer' Ed Wardle went deep into the Yukon wilderness for Channel 4 - but ended up on the brink of starvation

Last night the broadcaster faced criticism for allowing him to attempt the expedition unaided and apparently unprepared, to entertain viewers.

During his adventure, Mr Wardle, 34, was permitted to send out a daily posting on the Twitter website and transmit a single electronic signal confirming he was still alive.

Channel 4 handlers tracked his progress through the 500,000 square mile wilderness using a GPS satellite tracking device.

To make the survival challenge as authentic as possible he avoided all human contact and left video tapes at drop-off points to be picked up by collection teams in a helicopter.

Mr Wardle lived off berries and any animals he could catch while trekking between hand-built shelters made out of fallen trees.

At first he appeared to be weathering the challenge, despite his lack of survival training.

He had been confident of finding regular food, telling the Daily Mail prior to setting off: 'I imagine I have a long future of fish-eating in front of me. It's going to be trout and grayling for 12 weeks.

'But meat's a relatively easy thing to get your hands on too. There are hares, squirrels and gophers. They're good to eat because they're fatty.

'The porcupines are easy to catch because they don't move very fast. As long as you're careful with the spines, they're a good source of food. You hit it with a big stick, roll it over, slice it open and peel the skin back, the same as you would any mammal.'
    The great outdoors: But Channel 4 have been criticised for the stunt, and lack of training for the programme

The great outdoors: But Channel 4 have been criticised for the stunt, and lack of training for the programme

However, friends following his progress on Twitter - including long-term girlfriend Amanda Murray who lives with him in Islington, North London - became increasingly concerned when he appeared to start losing his grip on reality, hallucinating and talking to insects as starvation set in.

Two weeks ago he tweeted about losing weight rapidly, saying his muscles were 'disappearing'. Most alarming of all, he counted his heartbeat at just 32 beats-per-minute. A healthy range is between 60 and 100 beats per minute.

His condition eventually deteriorated so much that he used his emergency satellite telephone to call for help. He was airlifted out after 50 days, and arrived back in London on Monday. He is now being treated at home.

John Beyer, Director of Media Watch, said last night: 'This is a pretty foolish enterprise. If Channel 4 are going to send people on this kind of expedition, they really must make sure they are up to it and have the skills necessary to survive.

'If they first of all did not check that Ed Wardle was competent, then that is the height of irresponsibility on the part of Channel 4, to do that merely to provide entertainment for us all back home to watch this man steadily deteriorate.'

Mr Wardle was chosen for the project because of his abilitiy as a cameraman and producer, and his experience of filming in the North Pole and on the summit of Everest.

He has worked on shows for Channel 4, ITV, BBC and Discovery.

But he had no specific training for living alone in the remote territory, 80 per cent of which is pristene wilderness.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    he was probably eating the wrong shit, and not enough of it still. i don't know about other rodents, but rabbit, for one, will not sustain you. if you ate nothing but rabbit for 50 days, you'd starve to death- humans can't metabolize rabit protein. it's missing required amino acids.

think they'll still do the show?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The problem with Rabbit Starvation is a lack of fat. Rabbit is too lean.

This goober should have been looking to suppliment his rabbit with as much fat as possible. Mainly nuts. Roots would be a good suppliment for carbs. Cattail roots anyone?

If he wanted a easy fat source, he should have used that shotgun to down an elk or a moose.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 08-26-09 at 19:33.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Mountaineering, is not remote unassisted wilderness living. Since they spent so much money on this failed adventure, I bet they will air something anyway.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    He probably should have read a bit of Jon Krakauer before he embarked on his little trip.

Feedback Score
    I saw the preview episode 30min thing. The guy had that shot gun and he tried to shoot a duck I think it was it was like 60 yards away I could tell the guy didn't know firearms and his survival skills looked questionable. He kept running away from a moose or elk I forget which but he was scared to death of running into one I could not but help to think I would be trying to hunt any big game I could moose,elk ,or bear. And I wouldn't have that HD shotgun bolt action 30-06 or something similar.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    The guy had that shot gun and he tried to shoot a duck I think it was it was like 60 yards away I could tell the guy didn't know firearms and his survival skills looked questionable. He kept running away from a moose or elk I forget which but he was scared to death of running into one I could not but help to think I would be trying to hunt any big game I could moose,elk ,or bear. And I wouldn't have that HD shotgun bolt action 30-06 or something similar.

A 60 yd. shot, with an 18 inch barreled shotgun at a duck is an unethical shot mho. He was likely afraid of the Moose, when they are rutting they can charge and be very agreesive and hard to stop. A shotgun, is not a moose gun.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    A 60 yd. shot, with an 18 inch barreled shotgun at a duck is an unethical shot mho. He was likely afraid of the Moose, when they are rutting they can charge and be very agreesive and hard to stop. A shotgun, is not a moose gun.
    It was on the discovery channel it was his 1 week test or something but he didn't do great on his trial run he didn't eat much of anything. I got the impression he didn't know what he was getting into. If I am surviving months in the wilderness I am going to be prepared to take any big game I can. And not armed with a HD shotgun the impression that I got he didn't even know what kind of load he had in the gun.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A shotgun, is not a moose gun.
    If that is what I had ONLY, and I knew it was "for keeps"....me and that moose would be fixing to have a shooting contest.

I guarantee I can get 2-4 shots out of an 870 and hit 4" clay birds at distance moving in just a second or so. The head and face of a moose, even if charging, would be a cakewalk in comparison. Then again, I know WTF I am doing in that regard.

That being said, he was set up to fail from the start. No trapping or other survival skills? Yikes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Put a slug in it and it surely is.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast