Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 items for survival?

Feedback Score
    Here is a write up I did on them Austere Provisions Company Klean Kanteen Blog Entry

After a few days of boiling gallons of water each day I took them back and scrubbed them down to get the soot off. Inspection revealed no discernible damage or weakening of the metal.

I have used it on charcoal, camp stoves, and an electric range eye still with no damage or weakening visible to the naked eye.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Thumbs up

Putting Klean Kanteen on the "must buy" list. Killer writeup, amigo.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It clearly oversteps the "4 items" theme of the thread, but as an aside to Mike G --
    A survival kit specifically stocked for and packed in the appropriately sized Klean Kanteen would be a good kit to offer...
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    It is something we are already working on, just making sure we have it right the first time.

I am in the process of testing a bunch of new stuff, some of it will be part of this kit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    Here is a write up I did on them Austere Provisions Company Klean Kanteen Blog Entry

After a few days of boiling gallons of water each day I took them back and scrubbed them down to get the soot off. Inspection revealed no discernible damage or weakening of the metal.

I have used it on charcoal, camp stoves, and an electric range eye still with no damage or weakening visible to the naked eye.

great write up !!

How about a Kelly Kettle. I just picked one up the other day ( SS model) it is a bit big for limited space survial equip, but for boiling water and cooking without anything but some brush and twigs it holds it's own.
    Last edited by Grimlock; 03-05-10 at 15:41. Reason: added content

Feedback Score
    I think the Kettles are pretty cool for routine camping or static SHTF situation but anytime I am trying to cut weight I would be hard pressed to include that in my pack.

However, I do want to hear how yours turns out as I almost bought one for myself the other day. Definitely cool with just the right amount of "unique" factor.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    thanks for the great info!

Feedback Score
    Cool. Nice write up on the Kanteen.
    Last edited by LonghunterCO; 03-06-10 at 22:22. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    I think the Kettles are pretty cool for routine camping or static SHTF situation but anytime I am trying to cut weight I would be hard pressed to include that in my pack.

However, I do want to hear how yours turns out as I almost bought one for myself the other day. Definitely cool with just the right amount of "unique" factor.

Well I fired up my kelly kettle this weekend and I must say it does what is says it will do very well, boil water quick. I have the stainless steel version ( 3 pints ).

The size of it isn't that bad, but it is a bit bulk for how little it weighs. I'd say clipping it on a pack as opposed to carrying it in a pack would save ALOT of room. You can store gear inside it while on the move, but there is carbon build up inside which could get things dirty ( if that doesn't matter go for it)

I first gathered some tinder which consisted of dried reeds, leaves, twigs and a few larger pieces of wood. Things have been pretty dry here so getting things going wasn't hard. once I had a flame I placed the kettle section on the bottom cup. Within about 30 seconds a flames started coming out the top of the kettle like a afterburner. and you could here the water inside start to boil. ~3minutes later the water was boiling at a good clip! I did have to add a bit of sticks etc to keep the fire really going, but considering how little I started with and how hot the fire was It wasn't a surprise.

As a piece of gear for cooking and boiling water for safe drinking this thing rocks. 3-5 minutes and you have 1.4 liters of safe drinking water. Its a little big for a bug out bag or similar, but really a great piece of gear for camping , hiking, SHTF, etc.

Feedback Score
    MikeG Thanks for that write up. Will definately have to get one of those Kanteens to suppliment my stuff someday soon. I found the Swedish fire starter on you page to be interesting. Have you done a write up on it as well?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast