Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 4 items for survival?

Feedback Score
    Ooooh Eeeer, which 4 to choose.

1. The classic design Ray Mears bushcraft knife.
    2. A decent length of 5mm or 6mm kernmantel...........550 is ok, till you start trying to use it with a fire-bow then it is as useful as a chocolate ashtray. 5mm/6mm kernmatel is excellent for fire-bows and is also generally as useable as 550 for camp tasks. I used to get my guys to swap out the draw cords in their jackets for 5mm kernmantel.

Everything after those two items is a luxury.

3. My Ti mug.
    4. Coffee.

Feedback Score

Basic 4 "super tools"

I love this kind of thread.

My list:

1) Knife
    2) Pot
    3) Tarp
    4) Cord

Now in a little more detail
    1) Knife, fixed blade, 4"-6" size carbon steel. Used to make other tools, and shelter. Defense. Fire.
    2) Cook pot, stainless, 2qt +-, with a solid bail handle. Purify water. Dig. Cook. Hat. Carry forage.
    3) Tarp, coated nylon, around 10' sq. Shelter. Clothing. Carrying.
    4) A big wad of real 550 Parachute cord, say, 200 ft. Making tools, fire and shelter.

It is possible to make equivalents of all these things in the field but it takes time and the resultant items are not as versatile or durable. My size listings are based on my preferences. Here are a couple examples of variation on the theme:

Soldiers version:
    1) K-bar
    2) Canteen cup
    3) Poncho
    4) P-cord

Scrounged:
    1) Carpet knife blade
    2) Coffee can
    3) Sheet plastic
    4) Twine

A lot of items like Fire starters are a great help but are really single task tools. Others like compasses and mirrors are more correctly rescue /recovery tools and do not contribute directly to physical survival. I'm not denigrating them at all, you SHOULD carry them!

Muddyboots
    Last edited by Muddyboots; 06-08-10 at 19:58. Reason: elaboration

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    1-Katadyne Pocket
    2-Ecws bivvy with green inner bag
    3-Rat3 with micro compass and alot of 550 on the sheath
    4-Swedish Firesteel

Feedback Score
    Didn't see any specific rules here but if this is short term survival and the items that I carry every day don't count....

*550 Cord
    *Tarp
    *Small steel cook pot
    *Surplus wool blanket

If you are scratching your head wondering why I didn't put a knife or fire starter on the list here's why... I carry a Buck Vanguard all day every day and it's never more than 2 feet away when I'm asleep. I didn't mention a fire starter because I'm a smoker and always have a Zippo on the opposite hip as the knife, and I carry a back Bic lighter since Zippo's always run out of flint at the most inconvenient times. Are the lighter and knife useful for survival? Yeah... I just don't think they ought count against my four items since they are with me 24/7 anyways.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    ...and I carry a back Bic lighter since Zippo's always run out of flint at the most inconvenient times.
    Never have I seen more words of wisdom.

Deep in the woods, you can find at least two Zippos and an Origo watch. They were left there, promply thrown after dropping an F-bomb.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 07-04-10 at 08:41.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    1. Air
    2. Shelter/Clothing
    3. Water
    4. Food

The mindset and know how to acquire these four items. Everything else is optional.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    1. Air
    2. Shelter/Clothing
    3. Water
    4. Food

The mindset and know how to acquire these four items. Everything else is optional.
    Except that's not what was asked and glib answers like the above do not answer the question and do a disservice to the OP and those who might read your response. 'Some guy on the internet said that all I need to survive is be a badass.'

It's very easy to SAY but not easy to DO without training and practice and the proper tools are certainly important considerations. They make survival MUCH easier.

I've done multiple SAR missions both in the military and in the civilian world and I can't tell you how many people (even Marines with survival training) I've pulled out of the fire thought they had the right "mindset." Please see the story of the guy who died earlier this year on a survival adventure and he was well practiced... he didn't even make it a mile from his car. If you have something of interest to add to the thread please do so but I'm going to disabuse you of your "mindset" as well as others who might buy into that BS.

Your four basic items should be of universal and common use. They should serve more than one role but will only be multi-functional with training/knowledge/practice. That said it would be dependent on the scenario (e.g. maritime, desert, arctic, wilderness etc.), do you expect rescue in a few days? or never? so as to which four tools I'd want so there isn't a universal answer.

My four choices presume you're wearing the appropriate clothing for the situation:

1. I think your first priority has to be a knife - it is the most universal implement around. You can use it to construct shelter, start fires, hunt, clean game, defend yourself as well as many many other things if you know how to use it. If you can only take ONE tool, the knife would be the one to take

2. Rope or 550 cord, at least 50' worth (I prefer rope but both work). The second most universal implement. You can create shelter, create a tourniquet/bandage/splint injuries, you can maneuver yourself around obstacles, you can set traps and do many other things

From here things get a bit more complicated

3. A survival blanket will keep your warm at night and that will keep up your morale. You will burn fewer calories and therefore conserve your energy. This of course presumes you know how to get your body heat away from the ground and build something of a wind-break. If I were in the tropics/jungle (temps >70 degrees) I might pick something else instead.

4. A metal cup is probably the last thing on the list but also competes with fire-steel depending on where you are. In cold-weather I'd definitely want a firestarter as fashioning/using a bow drill in cold weather is very difficult and you need to get warm. In the desert or at sea the cup would win out as a means of procuring/conserving water and fire on a life boat is contraindicated for survival.

Those are only four but things I'd consider adding if you're talking about a list.

5. Tarp of plastic or nylon. Good windbreak/shelter, helps in gathering, solar stills etc

6. Fishooks if I was near water

7. Collapsible container or canteen

8. Alcohol and/or some version of first-aid kid.

Of course you need to understand how to use these items. The information is widely available and you can certainly practice without putting your life in danger.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 07-21-10 at 10:44.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1. Good-quality knife, preferably fixed-blade. You can make shelter, weapons, etc.
    2. Rope/cord.
    3. Tarp. Solar still, shelter, rain gear, etc.
    4. Metal container/cup. Boil water, cook, gather food, etc.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My apologies. I did not intend to come off flippant, but can see how it could be construed as such. However, I would like to stress that mindset is a major factor, if not THE major factor to survival, whether we are talking about a gun fight, lost in the woods survival, the business world or a post-apocalyptic SHTF scenario. Taking and making the time to learn how build a fire under extreme condition like snow or heavy rain, studying which plants you can eat vs. which one will kill you, how to make traps and snares, that’s all mindset. Some when faced with a survival situation curl up and cry, the only way those folks live is through blind luck, where other refuse to quit, refuse lay down and die, that’s mindset. Having all the gear in the world make no difference if one is ignorant to its use.

“You are no more armed because you carry a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar” –Jeff Cooper

What I listed is in fact what you “need” to survive. If we are talking strictly gear then here’s my list:
    1. WETSU Pocket Survival Kit or equal
    2. Rope
    3. Canteen with metal cup
    4. Kifaru woobie if winter or in AO with several temperature drops such as the high desert / or a firearm if it is summer where warmth and shelter are not a major concern.

Gutshot has it right; so much is dependant on situation. What is the AO? Are we lost at sea, in the desert, out in the woods, is it winter and snowing or summer and 120 deg.?

Regardless, again I apologize.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345