Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Peters Custom Holsters

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Peters Custom Holsters

original article is here has more pictures, and will be updated as I use the holster.

I contacted Greg Peters of Peters Custom Holsters about doing a review of one of his holsters, and I had a specific request to go along with it. Many manufacturers and vendors balk at this because they don't want someone reviewing a one-off, or they don't want to get stuck doing more one-offs because the money is in production. Greg was quite the opposite and worked with me to ensure that the holster he sent me worked as I needed to. As it turns out, the requirements that I had for the holster actually came close to the standard production loops with the exception that production holsters have rivets at the bottom of the belt loops instead of the screws, so it worked out well for both of us. It was nice to see someone so willing to work with me for what I needed.

Initial Impressions

The holster I received is one of their new Spada line. According to the website "The Spada was born of the need to have a rugged holster mounted on a belt or MOLLE grid. It has seen extensive testing in training, tactical competition, and everyday carry. While meant for hard use, it is designed to provide concealment if you choose to wear it under a jacket or sweater." This matched my needs as I was looking for a holster to attach to a US Grunt Gear Warhog padded MOLLE belt. The USGG belt is a little different than some others as the belt webbing itself runs over the pad, not through a sleeve, and provides for a 1.75" wide, double-thick, PVC-reinforced, stitched at every 3" webbing to which the user can attach standard holsters. It was specifically designed to work with the Blade Tech Tek-Lok system but can work with many others, provide that there is a way to open the loops of the holster as the webbing is permanently attached to the belt. On the support side USGG has provided me with a MOLLE sleeve that fits over the padded system to which other MOLLE pouches can be attached. More on the USGG belt will follow under another review, but suffice it to say it is the 1.75" wide webbing on the strong side that allowed for the Peters Spada to attach via their standard 1.75" belt loops. I may wind up porting this holster over to a Blue Force Gear SOC-C padded MOLLE belt where I will need the MOLLE-attachment so I'll have to ask Peters for that attachment method as well.

The Peters Spada is clearly made tough. It is made from a thicker Kydex material than other competing designs, and also has a reinforcing layer of Kydex between the holster body and the belt loops. The loops attach via allen screws and Peters included an appropriately-sized allen wrench in the box. It was this attachment method that allowed me to easily slip it over the 1.75" webbing on my belt, and I had the whole thing installed in a matter of minutes. Due to the design of the belt and the slick-ness of the Kydex there is a potential for the holster to shift fore and aft slightly but when the belt is on the body and the slack taken out it is very resistant to sliding. The gun, in this case a Glock 19 with grip reduction by Boresight Solutions and a Surefire X200A (no longer in production, but the Surefire X300 will fit as well) weaponlight attached, "snaps" securely into place with the faint "click" sound that most users of Kydex holsters have come re recognize. The pistol and light are released easily, but not too easily, with the appropriate amount of force, and one-handed re-holstering is easily accomplished. I would like to see a slight chamfer or taper to the top outside edge of the holster, a slight beveling if you will, just to aid slightly in the re-holstering process. However the nice thing about Kydex is that it is user-modifiable very easily.

I'm looking forward to getting some use out of this holster as I pursue my quest to rebuild my pistol shooting skills. The next stop on that path takes me to Frank Garcia's Universal Tactical Academy for 2,000 rounds of handgun shooting which is sure to produce some impressions of this holster.
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-03-10 at 20:23.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    delete
    Last edited by calicojack; 07-28-10 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yep, click the "here" link in the first line of the first post.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Looks sharp. I tried contacting them a few times last year and never heard back from them. I'll give it one more shot before I commit to not giving them money.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake0331 View Post
    Looks sharp. I tried contacting them a few times last year and never heard back from them. I'll give it one more shot before I commit to not giving them money.
    The dude's got a full-time job in addition to the Kydex. Email him again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake0331 View Post
    Jake,
    Check your PM's

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete10 View Post
    Jake,
    Check your PM's
    Roger.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    These look pretty darn nice. I'll think I'll be getting a couple and would actually like to see one for USPSA Production and IDPA for my S&W M&P Pro.

I'm trying to make three gun master in IDPA, meaning classifying as Master in SSP, ESP and CDP this year.

I'm pretty sure I can make Master in SSP right now and probably ESP and CDP with a little more speed on the draw, I'm consistently hitting 1.25-1.5sec and need to get it under 1 sec.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    rob_s; good to see you give the Peters stuff a whirl. I thought it would be up your alley; especially as it would stay in your role of replicating CCW kydex-carry, etc.

Please update when you can, how the holster works for you at your matches, etc.

FWIW; his IWB stuff is first-rate. A G17 is no mean feat for my frame.

Last edited by Padre Pandiero; 03-04-10 at 22:27. Reason: incomplete

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I ordered an IWB a week or so ago for a G19. I sent an email with some questions and received a response back in less than an hour with answers to my questions.

I will report back after I recieve my holster and give it a try.

The leather belt loops on the IWB holsters seems to me to be a great idea.
    Last edited by David Thomas; 03-22-10 at 23:30.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast