Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So..anyone else trying to get back in the military?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i'm RE3 MEB.. tried to get back in twice.. the first time, i was told, in the end, "just try again in a year or two," but i never really got a clear picture of why it was no-go.. i've been rated at 20%, but am more than eligible for more if i were to apply, and have been collecting and burned up some chapter 31 entitlement- THAT seemed like enough to me, but the recruiter said that wasn't it.

the second time, i was told i might have to pay back some benefits i'd collected.... how the **** would that ever work? i think he was full of shit. whatever the case, i supposedly "had a slot" and was supposed to be heading to MEPS to sign, and my recruiter called me i think the day before to say that everything had fallen through, and that i'd "never" be allowed back in. period. again, it wasn't really explained to me... he acted like he wasn't really sure- whatever the case, my pre-existing condition wasn't waiverable anymore. he said something to the effect that somebody had gotten his hands on my medical file "at the last minute" and declared me permanently excluded.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    go guard. i moved from active to guard and its great

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Indy View Post
    go guard. i moved from active to guard and its great
    That's a good idea.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Indy View Post
    and its great
    whys that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by -Wes- View Post
    It's not as easy as I'd have hoped.

I was told by my recruiter that no one is allowed to go straight back to active right now. First I have to go reserves, then build up a "resume" so that when I request to go back active I'll have a higher chance for success.

That "resume" for me would be:
    -Go back to "A" school since I'm cross rating from AM2(Aircraft Mech) to CM2(Seabee).
    -Volunteer for a deployment.
    -Get a current PRT score and Eval under my belt.
    -Try to complete as many PQS's as I can.

Anyone else going through or been through this?
    Have you tried talking to an Army recruiter? It seems to be easier to get back into the Army than the Navy or Air Force.

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Wes- View Post
    It's not as easy as I'd have hoped.

I was told by my recruiter that no one is allowed to go straight back to active right now. First I have to go reserves, then build up a "resume" so that when I request to go back active I'll have a higher chance for success.

That "resume" for me would be:
    -Go back to "A" school since I'm cross rating from AM2(Aircraft Mech) to CM2(Seabee).
    -Volunteer for a deployment.
    -Get a current PRT score and Eval under my belt.
    -Try to complete as many PQS's as I can.

Anyone else going through or been through this?
    Ok, listen up. Currently at some stations new enlistees are waiting up to 10 months to get a slot ot Great Lakes. When you combine the economy with end strength it is tough to even get into the Navy currently.

As a reserve Seabee I can also assure you that going from the reserve side to active is mostly pure bullshit. I know it happens occasionally but very rarely. The reserve side also has the end strength goals and is very hesitant about releasing a reserve sailor to go active duty. I had one E-6 with 10 active Army, 10 reserve Navy. 38 years old and Navy wouldn't take him. He ended up going active Army.

Why don't you consider the other branches doing what your old job was? Since we got back from deployment I've lost 8 people to the Air Guard or Army Guard.

I love the Navy but cannot in good faith recommend the Navy Reserve to anyone. In it's current form the admin requirements, medical requirements, and overall requirement of spending more time each month at home on your computer to take care of all other requirements than you do at drill are beyond stupid. At my reserve center we had about 400 sailors 4 years ago, now there's 200. The Navy is throwing people out for very minor lapses in any of the above. Failure to get a private doctors release from something that happened on A/T up to 5 years ago. Failure to do the latest bullshit GMT that you do every year, failure to go to your private dentist because the reserve center doesn't have one.

The Navy reserve in it's current form is broken. Stay away from it.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Hmm, a little disappointing, but food for thought none the less. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12