Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Report: RRA National Match NM A4, Bushnell 3200 10x scope, Burris PEPR mount

Feedback Score
    I fire my factory RRA NM flat top with a 24X scope. I have tried more then a couple of dozen different load combinations since I bought it 4 years ago, and it seems to prefer heavier buillets.

I had fired a sigle 5 shot 1/2" group two weeks ago and thought I was getting somewhere. It was the first time I could get all 5 shots to stay in a small group without one or two rounds expanding the group to 1". But, I could not do it again this last Sunday. My typical best groups with this rifle is using Hornady 68 BTHP's for 7/8" to 1" groups. Sometime's I do 5 shot 3/4" groups.

It's not good enough for me, and I'll be getting a new barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VaniB View Post
    I fire my factory RRA NM flat top with a 24X scope. I have tried more then a couple of dozen different load combinations since I bought it 4 years ago, and it seems to prefer heavier buillets.

I had fired a sigle 5 shot 1/2" group two weeks ago and thought I was getting somewhere. It was the first time I could get all 5 shots to stay in a small group without one or two rounds expanding the group to 1". But, I could not do it again this last Sunday. My typical best groups with this rifle is using Hornady 68 BTHP's for 7/8" to 1" groups. Sometime's I do 5 shot 3/4" groups.

It's not good enough for me, and I'll be getting a new barrel.
    Try shooting with a lower power scope and see if those groups get more consistant and smaller. Too much power makes a steady hold toughe as it magnifies any movememnts and could have mirage issues. I use 10x and its more than enough to shoot tight groups at 100yds. Keep your point of aim and hold consistant and use a spotting scope to see your target up close.

Feedback Score
    small update to this upper setup. I've since sold it to stay focused on highpower competition, which is iron sight shooting.

But here are 3 rnds at 400 (unfortunately the only time we fired at 400yds). That black dot was my attempt to create a 1in sighting point with a Sharpie.

On a sidenote:

We also had poppers on the line. Very difficult at distance to knock down with .223 but a simple matter for .308

Last edited by danpass; 10-11-10 at 12:45.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok. So you know how it shoots with a scope and a bi-pod. Take them out with irons and a sling and see how well you do. That rifle should be able to keep a moa at 100 yards. The question is can you? Try a SMK 69 to 77 or Priv or Hornandy's load. Trail Glades has a pretty decent High Power Group that shoots there. They will help you if you ask.

Dan

Feedback Score
    So you're familiar with what I've already done with my A2 upper? (considering the upper referenced here has been sold)

oh, wait ........ that wasn't what you asked
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Try shooting with a lower power scope and see if those groups get more consistant and smaller. Too much power makes a steady hold toughe as it magnifies any movememnts and could have mirage issues. I use 10x and its more than enough to shoot tight groups at 100yds. Keep your point of aim and hold consistant and use a spotting scope to see your target up close.

This is perhaps good advice for most folks who are general shooters and who are new to serious target shooting. Folks not yet accustomed with the proper equipment and teqnique that they should be using, certainly will have the reticle of a high power scope bobbing and weaving all over the place.

I have no problems shooting 1/4" - 3/8" 5 shot 100 yard groups with my custom barreled varmint rifles at 32X power. To date, at the public range I've only seen one individual shoot consistantly tighter groups with his AR15 then the 3/4" -1" groups I typically shoot. But, thanks for the advice.... it's enlightening to know that evidently you can do better using just 10X magnification. I certainly couldn't do it.

Feedback Score

pod bounce

The other possible culprit for your excessive group size could possibly be "pod bounce".

WTF is that?

It's an "artifact" that occurs when a non free floated rifle is fired from a bipod.

Even as rigid as a SS barrel is ,,, it still flexes during the firing and recoil sequence. This "double bounce" occurs much too fast to control.. you just see the effect.

I've built and used to DCM rifles and used Compass Lake's DCM FF tube that hides under the forearm caps.

I've also used this product on patrol rifles for a couple local LEO's I know. (Their dept didn't want their rifles to look too "menacing"! gah!)

also it costs about the same as a decent bipod.

Only $125.00

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the RRA NM A4 Upper the OP said he has already has the DCM FF tube.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12