Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping track of round counts

Feedback Score

Question Keeping track of round counts

I used to maintain a spreadsheet, one copy per individual firearm, with round counts and a column for failures, notes on the nature of the failure, and how the weapon was fired (two hands, left, right, loose grip, etc.). The 'sheet would of course maintain a running value for the failure rate as a % of rounds fired.

The round count values would also be useful for maintenance purposes.

However over time I found that the process was arduous and sucked the enjoyment out of shooting. It also got complicated when a given firearm would be passed around between several shooters accompanying me, trying to keep track of everything like a lunatic accountant bordered on ridiculous.

For now I've dropped the system and am judging rough failure rates by memory (i.e., "well, I have only had 2 stoppages with this Glock, but I know I've had a whole bunch with the Taurus... and I seem to remember 1 with this other Glock about 2 years ago but that was with Brand X of ammo..."). This is not ideal from an accuracy standpoint, but then again, as the round counts get higher each individual stoppage becomes less statistically significant.

Are there any recommended methods of managing this?

I would like to be able to keep track of data so I might be able to match up failures with certain mags or ammo types, etc., and simultaneously be able to manage maintenance schedules... but with less of the pain-in-the-ass factor.

Is the only way to get useful data to suck it up and keep careful notes? What do you all do?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
    What do you all do?
    keep as accurate notes as possible without straining myself. you think passing guns out to friends makes it hard to keep track of round counts? start swapping upper receivers.. then start changing out barrels and bcgs and otherwise tearing down and rebuilding different weapons.. "mental running tabs" arent just unavoidable, they're necessary.

my method is to keep a range book that's got a section for each weapon i currently have. it would be easier to have a separate mini-notebook for each gun, but i'm the kind of guy that'll lose them.. easier to keep track of 1 than 10. don't get too complicated with it.. if you have a malf, scribble out a brief description and approximate round count. there's no point being incredibly technical- you don't NEED to have every last little detail, you're just trying to keep track of a given weapon's life and patterns in general.

Feedback Score
    I went out and got a couple write in the rain mini note books. I keep a running tally of rounds fired and malfunctions and dates. If I mod the weapon I make a notation in the book. I also write down make/type of ammo. I write the make, model, and serial number in marker on the front cover of the book and store the book in the weapons case.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Keep track of magazines. I never load mags at the range, with the exception of my .22, so I just see how much I have left. Works well enough for me. For handguns, I use empty boxes to count if I shoot beyond my loaded mags.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When I'm planning to hit the range, I'll find a way to segregate ammo supply for the firearms I'm planning to take. In other words, if I'm taking more than one firearm that uses the same caliber, I'll maybe take two different brands of ammo (brand X for gun 1, brand Y for gun 2), or simply use two different ammo containers (container 1 for gun 1, container 2 for gun 2), or anything like that. I make note of how many rounds I leave with for the day. If I experience a malf while out I'll jot down a note. When I get back I do the math on how much ammo is left in each supply to figure out how much I shot.

This allows me just enjoy the range while I'm there: I don't have to obsess over rounds, so long as I stick to the ammo allotment. If I need to borrow across firearms (I.E. if I decide to shoot 500 rounds in one carbine instead of the 300 I alloted for each), I'll just make a quick note of that at the range. Depending on how many things I'm doing for the day, that could be a mental note or a written note.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I keep track of the ammo that I bring, usually in boxes and what I take home. I am fairly accurate but I don't stress over it if I miss a mag or two.

However, for maintenance and historical purposes I do find that keeping a spreadsheet is benifical.

For instance, this morning at the range I was shooting strong/weak hand drills and I had a failure to feed. I didn't think too much of it because I'm not very good at strong/weak hand and it's quite possible I limp-wristed it or the mags I use for range duty are old, beat up, dirty and still have the original followers & springs.

It wasn't until I got home and went to enter my rounds in the spreadsheet that I realized I had the exact same problem with the same magazine in the past. In fact this particular mag has had problems on several occasions in the past.

Because of my job, travel, and family commitments I don't get to shoot that much and therefore can't remember what happened at my last range trip (or 2-3 trips ago) the spreadsheet helps me track trends and issues that I can't remember on my own. At least now I know that I should dispose of this magazine.

Of course, according to some because I feel that a particular handgun fits my needs the best I'm not only ignoring the facts by buying into some marketing machine but I'm also not qualified to share my opinion so take this with a grain of salt
    Last edited by M4arc; 03-07-10 at 08:49.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    keep as accurate notes as possible without straining myself. you think passing guns out to friends makes it hard to keep track of round counts? start swapping upper receivers.. then start changing out barrels and bcgs and otherwise tearing down and rebuilding different weapons.. "mental running tabs" arent just unavoidable, they're necessary.

my method is to keep a range book that's got a section for each weapon i currently have. it would be easier to have a separate mini-notebook for each gun, but i'm the kind of guy that'll lose them.. easier to keep track of 1 than 10. don't get too complicated with it.. if you have a malf, scribble out a brief description and approximate round count. there's no point being incredibly technical- you don't NEED to have every last little detail, you're just trying to keep track of a given weapon's life and patterns in general.
    This is what I do, using typical malfunction codes (FTF, FTE, FTEJ, DF) and when parts are swapped.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

ToddG Guest
    As a general rule, I only shoot one gun per caliber when at the range. So it's fairly easy to count how many boxes I've gone through, multiply by 50, and get a good number. Taking notes helps handle outliers. For example, since I almost always fire the round of JHP in my gun rather than recycle it, my note for a given day on my carry gun might read "1 HST + 900 AmEag 124 TMJ" or something like that.

The notes, including not just round counts but performance, stoppages, observations about what I think I need to work on next, etc., go into my range notebook.

Then each night I enter the information off my notes into a database.

(click here for full size)

(click here for full size)
    Last edited by ToddG; 03-07-10 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I use the rite in the rain log books as supplied by Noveske.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    I keep track of the ammo that I bring, usually in boxes and what I take home. I am fairly accurate but I don't stress over it if I miss a mag or two.
    This is all I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast