Thread: Relatively lightweight build project (pics)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Relatively lightweight build project (pics)

I got some PWS things in today for my current build which consists of a Tactical Innovations billet lower.

1. Enhanced Buffer Tube
    - Is this better than a standard tube that is staked? I don't think so. Installation was a breeze and took less than 5 mins to do. This played a huge role for me because I lack the proper tools (vice, punches, work bench, etc). So far my build has literally been done on the kitchen table. What are the advantages of this tube? I have no idea. It looked quality so I decided to try it without any solid reviews. Waste of money? Depends on who you talk to. For me, no. Oh, the integrated QD holes are nice.

2. T2 buffer
    - I have a Spike's T2 in my N4 so it was natural I purchased the PWS labeled T2.

3. FSC556b
    - Version B orients the wrench flats on the sides and puts the logo on the body.

Thank goodness for the LE/MIL discount.

Last edited by 021411; 03-22-10 at 16:56. Reason: Title

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well I got my last piece in for the lower this afternoon and installed it (Geissele SSA).

The total weight for my new lower is 2.3 pounds. That's almost 1/2 pound lighter than my Noveske N4 lower (2.7 pounds which included a Tango Down sling mount and Magpul BAD).

My new lower consists of:

Tactical Innovations billet lower
    Magpul MOE grip
    PWS buffer tube
    PWS buffer
    Tactical Springs buffer spring
    Geissele SSA trigger
    Magpul CTR

= 2.3 pounds

Noveske N4 lower
    Magpul MIAD grip
    mil-spec buffer tube
    Spikes T2 buffer
    Tactical Springs buffer spring
    Geissele SSA
    Vltor Modstock
    Magpul BAD
    Tango Down PR-4 sling mount

= 2.7 pounds

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    1. Enhanced Buffer Tube
    - Is this better than a standard tube that is staked? I don't think so.
    I am glad you posted this, I just saw this tube the other day (online not in person) and was wondering if it was worth the money. May I ask why you don't think it's better since you have both the standard and the PWS tube right in front of you.

Sweet start of a build btw, what upper are you planning to go with?
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sewvacman View Post
    I am glad you posted this, I just saw this tube the other day (online not in person) and was wondering if it was worth the money. May I ask why you don't think it's better since you have both the standard and the PWS tube right in front of you.

Sweet start of a build btw, what upper are you planning to go with?
    On a functional stand point, I don't think it's any better than a standard mil spec tube. On an installation stand point, it was super easy to install and so far seems pretty solid. It did not require any specialized tools. The QD mounts were an added bonus. I don't have to add any sling mounts to it.
    I'll let you know how the internal dead blow buffer works out.
    The buffer tube is nicely made..

My upper components have been purchased and sitting in a box right now. I'm just waiting on the MUR-1A upper I ordered and then it will be put together.

Daniel Defense 14.5" LW "pencil" barrel
    PWS FSC556
    Vltor .625 gas block
    BCM gas tube
    Daniel Defense Lite Rail 9.0
    Vltor MUR-1A

The above setup should be somewhat light as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    On a functional stand point, I don't think it's any better than a standard mil spec tube. On an installation stand point, it was super easy to install and so far seems pretty solid. It did not require any specialized tools. The QD mounts were an added bonus. I don't have to add any sling mounts to it.
    I'll let you know how the internal dead blow buffer works out.
    The buffer tube is nicely made..

My upper components have been purchased and sitting in a box right now. I'm just waiting on the MUR-1A upper I ordered and then it will be put together.

Daniel Defense 14.5" LW "pencil" barrel
    PWS FSC556
    Vltor .625 gas block
    BCM gas tube
    Daniel Defense Lite Rail 9.0
    Vltor MUR-1A

The above setup should be somewhat light as well.
    Should be somewhat light? I am building a similar rifle to yours. I have a TI Billet lower, mated to a VLTOR MUR-1S upper, and a DD 16" Pencil barrel with a FSC556. I am assembling mine with a Troy TRX Extreme 11.0, and I think it should be pretty dang light!

I work around the corner from PWS, and checked out that buffer tube in person. Very sweet, and I pondered buying one too. If they built the 16 upper with a DD lightweight barrel, I might ponder one of those too!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used relatively and somewhat because I don't want to get my hopes up if it's not around where I want it to be weight wise.

Two more parts down, one major component left to go. I ordered a Troy fixed rear sight and a DD fixed front sight. I wanted to go with the A1.5 rear from DD but it does not have a same plane aperture as I found out.
    The Troy rear from what I gathered is only 0.1 ounces heavier than the DD. Nothing to cry about.

The last piece of the puzzle is the BCG..which will be the "factory" Fail Zero set up or the Spikes Tactical BCG treated by Fail Zero. I know FZ is LE/MIL friendly and I'm assuming their discount is at least 10%. Both will be the same price in the end.
    Last edited by 021411; 03-15-10 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Threw all my upper parts on the scale today. I'm pretty impressed with the weight.

Comparing my fully loaded N4 Light Basic, the new build (fully loaded) will be 1.1# lighter!! Not bad.
    Note: LaRue T1 mount will be switched to the DD T1 mount. Rear sight will also be a Troy fixed rear. I had to use my N4's T1 and rear sight for the weigh in.

N4 = 7.7#
    New = 6.6#