Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester SX2 Practical experience?

Feedback Score

Winchester SX2 Practical experience?

Does anyone have any experience with the Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 shotgun? I am particularly interested in its performance as a 3-gun shotgun. I think FNH makes an identical model called the SLP Mark 1. Any comments regarding experience with it would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My first time at a USPSA match, a nice fellow let me use his SX2 Practical with rifle sights. He had it rigged up with roughly a dozen shells placed all over the gun in various 3 gun style holders, plus the 9 or 10 in the tube. It was big and heavy, though it became much less heavy as I reloaded off of the readily available shells. It shot like a house on fire, as the fiber front sight was easy to pick up and the weight helped manage the recoil. I wouldn't want to have to carry it for any length of time, but a good sling will work wonders in that area.

I liked it enough from that one experience that I've had an eye open for one ever since. If someone offered me a trade today for my Benelli M1 Super 90 with ghost rings, I'd do it. And I love that Benelli.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just picked one up 2 days ago from the local Gander Mountain for $759 NIB. The Winchester SX2 are still being produced under the Winchester name as they are made in Belgium by FN. There have been many rave reviews about them by 3 gunners. 12 rounds in 1.442 seconds or even 5 rounds in 0.49 of a second, I believe they are proclaimed by Winchester to be the fastest semi-auto shotguns in the world.

Tactical Iron Class
    Winchester SX2 Practical MKII / Bushmaster M4 Type / Glock 19

Heavy Metal
    Winchester 1300 Defender / DSA SA58 / Colt Government

I will be shooting it for the first time this weekend, if it runs as reliably as it's Winchester Defender cousin above it will be great.

Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    I have several buddies who shoot them in 3-gun regularly and I have shot a few of theirs. Felt recoil is about like a Rem 1100 and it cycles faster than a Benelli M1S90 (according to the article in Front Sight a few years ago, the only test I've seen where actual numbers were generated).

One of the guns I've seen was finicky when it was new, but once some of the spring issues were sorted out, it's been 100% like the others.

If I were buying a new shotgun, the Winchester SX2 Practical Mk I would be my first, second, and third choices. Fourth choice would be the Mk II.

Feedback Score
    Rhino is here! I didn't know that.
    Hey, Rhino!

That article he is referring to is online (or was about a year ago) at www.multigun.com and is titled "Speed Shotgun.

Barry McCown

Feedback Score
    Thanks, all, for the responses.

One more question: What is the difference between the Win. SX2 Practical Mk 1 and the Mk 2? The Winchester site only lists the Mk1. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
    Rhino is here! I didn't know that.
    Hey, Rhino!

That article he is referring to is online (or was about a year ago) at www.multigun.com and is titled "Speed Shotgun.
    Hey, Barry! Good to see you. Thank you for providing the link to the article in question.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Winchester SX2 Practical MKI
    Ramped front Sight
    Flip up Rear rifle type sight

Winchester SX2 Practical MKII
    Elevated front sight
    Removable Rear Ghost ring sight

It appears that Winchester, actually FN in Belgium, is producing the MKI for 2007 but not the MKII as that is what shows in Winchester's catalog and website.

I prefer the MKII as it comes with a nice LPA Italian made rear ghost ring, which is consistent with the rear sights on the M4 or FAL. Both have the picatinny rail.

Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. That is the only difference I could figure as well. I think I'd like the Mk 1 better so I could use it as a front bead only type sight with the option of flipping it up for slugs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    Thanks. That is the only difference I could figure as well. I think I'd like the Mk 1 better so I could use it as a front bead only type sight with the option of flipping it up for slugs.

That's exactly my thinking too. If you're shooting shot, the ghost ring and taller front sight are not going to allow you to take advantage of the inherent nature of shooting a shotgun (i.e. using your eye as the rear sight, having a gun that hits where you're looking when you have a good cheek weld, etc.). It's too slow otherwise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast