Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winchester SX2 Practical experience?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    As soon as I get some time to hit the range and shoot, I'm going to get a lot more experience behind the trigger of a Win SX2 Practical. Well, I may have to get a loan to buy some ammo, but that's a different story.

As I posted in another topic, I'm looking for options for a shorter stock. I'd prefer to do a replacment and not worry over shortening the existing stock if possible.

I think the FN guns actually have a stock that is one inch shorter (13 inch LOP), but that won't do me much good. I'd prefer to get down to at least 12 in. LOP, maybe even a little shorter. But I'd gladly settle for something 12.5 in. or less if that is all that is available.
    I just got mine (FN SLP Mk1). If it's possible I may shorten my own stock, it's too long for me too. I installed a 3gungear 8-shot side saddle and two shot forearm saddle. Rhino if yours doesn't like light loads get the Browning Gold Sporting Clays piston, it's runs on most anything (I think it's made for 1-1/8oz or less loads).
    My gun is a 3" magnum and came with both a light and heavy piston. Light is marked 1.5oz or lighter and heavy 1.5oz and heavier. My buddies SX2 2-3/4" only gun came with both and his is marked 1.25oz and lighter on the light one and 1.25oz or heavier on the heavy one. I stripped mine down and polished up all the areas I'm seeing internal finish wear internally with Flitz to smooth it up. I'm probably going to polish up the lifter as well, for me this gun is a lot easier to reload than a Remington or Benelli (and no Benelli thumb!).

I'm using two extended Briley chokes, a light modified and an improved cylinder.

I've heard of some people needing to replace the shell stop/bolt release spring with a heavier one (adds about three pounds more pressure). I'm not going to replace mine unless it gives me problems.

These are available from Dave Neths dad Tom:

208-365-4272.

the address is

ESE
    107 S. Commercial
    Emmett ID 83617

Some guys with SX2s are also replacing their recoil springs with ones from a 3.5" Browning Gold. Again, I'm not replacing mine unless it gives me problems. Like the Benelli the Gold/SX2/SLP likes oil too!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response!

It's a well used gun and I acquired it from someone I trust. He's only used the "light" piston, even with some stout #field loads and slugs without issue. The gun works with pretty much everything.

Q: if I shoot heavier loads (I usually shoot #4 field loads, don't know the weight), will I risk damaging the gun if I continue to use the light gas piston? Or is it just a matter of more felt recoil than if I used the heavy piston?

As far as modifications go, other than shortening the stock, I'm not going to change anything until I've put a few hundred rounds through it. If I have any problems (which I do not expect), I'll revisit.

Feedback Score

Deal of the year

After doing some reading here and on other sites I decided I was going to purchase an SX2. This morning, a good friend tells me he found me a shotgun and to pick him up and he'll take me to it. We ended up at a local pawn shop. Yes I was skeptical a first. However, my buddy knew the owner and comes out of the back room of the shop with a new unfired FN SLP Mark 1 with all the factory accessories in the box. I walked out the door (very quickly before the owner changed his mind) with it for $463.00. We immediately went to the range and tried a variety of ammo and so far I'm very impressed. Can't wait to hit the range tomorrow and run some drills on the timer.

Feedback Score

Good with light Federal 00 loads?

Will the SX2 MkI with 3" chambers function well with 2-3/4" low recoil tactical 00 loads? Or am I better staying with a guns with 2-3/4" chambers (I never shoot 3")?

Feedback Score
    Hoser,

The short answer.... yes.

I have tried a variety of light loads and it is actually impressive what the gun will run. I am a huge fan of these shotguns just for that reason.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123