Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: civilian ownership of peq 15a

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I think Vic and Shivan summed it up perfectly for me. I own a couple of the ATPIALs (all legal and clean units) and I use them for night hunting (helping cull coyotes out in eastern oregon) as well as run and gun night matches. It's fantastic technology, and I agree I scratch my head as to why it's LE/MIL 'sale' only. If I can handle the responsibility of a firearm, I can safely manage a laser.

That said, I do think the uses are justified, as mentioned. No way would I want to pop off my white light given the option of being able to search and designate with an IR source. Ever.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    folks can be trusted with a firearm, but not a laser? Just my humble opinion on this coming from someone who uses a lot of these devices.
    My own job and lasers, up to the 1-watt range? Yeah. We've met.

Don't read too much into what I typed. I've lost count of how many folks I've seen procure the things...without bothering to think about what they're going to use to see the damned IR beam. That's all.

If you have and use I-square devices, that's a different story, you've actually put some thought into it instead of just getting the laser because it's cool, which is the trend, not the exception. Lots of wasted $$$, there, on the difference between need and want.

Safety is another thing. I see whole reams of BUMED and other incident reports regarding laser incidents within the military, where a user is likely to get some sort of brief, even if it's bastardized and they sleep through it. Civilians...hell, show me a site with a specs listing that lists, much less defines, the NOHD of a Class 3R VISIBLE laser. An IR laser? "Well, if I can't see it, it must not be able to hurt my eyes (presuming that they know that lasers can burn retinas to begin with)."

That last, in my mind, is the reason for the mil/LE restriction, and while I know in my gut that it's probably too much of a blanket policy, I see too many permanently damaged eyes to want to see it lifted. There are idiots in the business world with vis-green laser pointers that are rated 3R and have an NOHD of 28m+, designed for use in large auditoriums, in a 12x15 break-out room with floor-to-ceiling windown and shiny wet-erase boards. No clue why that's A Bad Thing. It's even easier to be negligent with a beam you can't see.

Hell, part of it is also that the glamor of the things is lost on me; I can yank the things out of a cage by pointing and saying "Gimmie!" Matter of familiarity breeding contempt, I'm positive. The honeymoon's over.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Potentially, but 4500 2x-3x more than I'd ever pay for one.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    do you guys think this is a legit one http://cgi.ebay.com/Insight-Technolo...item3efda94b2b

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    when i was fixing to be deployed to iraq in kuwait we had just boxes and boxes of these things we had them everywhere we were like 5 year olds with legos i didnt know they were so expensive we would break them and just part them together with other broken ones to make them work wasnt a really big deal i just dont see the point of paying that much for them i could get a sbr and a new suppressor for the cost of one of these

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They cost the gov't under $400 each, so that's quite a gouge.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverine View Post
    My own job and lasers, up to the 1-watt range? Yeah. We've met.

Don't read too much into what I typed. I've lost count of how many folks I've seen procure the things...without bothering to think about what they're going to use to see the damned IR beam. That's all.

If you have and use I-square devices, that's a different story, you've actually put some thought into it instead of just getting the laser because it's cool, which is the trend, not the exception. Lots of wasted $$$, there, on the difference between need and want.

Safety is another thing. I see whole reams of BUMED and other incident reports regarding laser incidents within the military, where a user is likely to get some sort of brief, even if it's bastardized and they sleep through it. Civilians...hell, show me a site with a specs listing that lists, much less defines, the NOHD of a Class 3R VISIBLE laser. An IR laser? "Well, if I can't see it, it must not be able to hurt my eyes (presuming that they know that lasers can burn retinas to begin with)."

That last, in my mind, is the reason for the mil/LE restriction, and while I know in my gut that it's probably too much of a blanket policy, I see too many permanently damaged eyes to want to see it lifted. There are idiots in the business world with vis-green laser pointers that are rated 3R and have an NOHD of 28m+, designed for use in large auditoriums, in a 12x15 break-out room with floor-to-ceiling windown and shiny wet-erase boards. No clue why that's A Bad Thing. It's even easier to be negligent with a beam you can't see.

Hell, part of it is also that the glamor of the things is lost on me; I can yank the things out of a cage by pointing and saying "Gimmie!" Matter of familiarity breeding contempt, I'm positive. The honeymoon's over.
    Roger that brother.
    Victor Di Cosola
    sales@tnvc.com
    http://www.tnvc.com
    "Eliminating our adversaries 940nm at a time"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
    do you guys think this is a legit one http://cgi.ebay.com/Insight-Technolo...item3efda94b2b
    Check the guy out. As of today, 46 ebay trades in life and none (that's - 0) as a seller. And, he only wants $4500? Next slide...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverine View Post
    They cost the gov't under $400 each, so that's quite a gouge.
    now thats funny.
    I have no use for one personally, but I would love to play around with someone elses kit for a night hunt.

Feedback Score
    They are for sale all over, http://itargetmarketing.mybisi.com/ is just one of many and as far as I can see, there don't seem to be much control.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast