Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Holster Opinions! (see new thread)

Feedback Score
    I recently purchased a Phantom LC with J-hooks for IWB carry and will be selling it. Raven quality and service are tip-top but in my case, the curve of my hip is much more aggressive than the flatter curve of the holster. This causes an annoying 3/4" to 1" gap between my hip and the back of each J-hook which I find unacceptable. I used a heat gun to tighten up the radius of the curve and it helped but did not resolve the issue. Final verdict is an MTAC for IWB M&P9c carry. I will likely buy another Phantom LC for OWB carrying my full size M&P when training. For IWB concealed carry, I would look elsewhere...

Feedback Score
    I find the Raven terrific for OWB with my G19. I'd like to get one for a G19(or maybe 17) w/light next.

Is anyone from Raven on the board? Ive been trying to get a hold of them through the websites for months for work, but no one is getting back to me.......
    I AM a CanadianGunSlinger!!!!!!

Cede Nullis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder_Burn View Post
    I will likely buy another Phantom LC for OWB carrying my full size M&P when training. For IWB concealed carry, I would look elsewhere...

Isn't the holster the same anyway? Or are you buying a different holster for a different size gun?

Feedback Score
    I tried the Raven for OWB use, having been told repeatedly that it concealed just as well as a good leather pancake. It doesn't. It does conceal well for an OWB kydex rig (better than any other kydex OWB I've tried), but it's nowhere near as good at concealment as a good leather holster. It is a reasonably good option for concealed carry with an attached light, however - better than any leather holster I've tried.

For IWB, I prefer the FIST #1K - it really adds minimal width or weight to the pistol, and the belt clip is hell for strong. I've transitioned to this holster for all my IWB carry at this point. The exterior surface of the holster is very easy on the skin, though I nearly always wear a t-shirt under an over shirt - as much to protect the pistol from my sweaty love handles as to protect them from the holster...

Regards,

Kevin
    Last edited by kjdoski; 03-15-10 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I tried one out for a G19 a few years ago, and I did not like it at all. I tried all the attachments but could not conceal my G19 worth a flip. With that said, everything from Raven is well made, and they are great to deal with.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked_police View Post
    I find the Raven terrific for OWB with my G19. I'd like to get one for a G19(or maybe 17) w/light next.

Is anyone from Raven on the board? Ive been trying to get a hold of them through the websites for months for work, but no one is getting back to me.......

Really? That's weird. I had to make a change to an order and contacted them through their website, and Jay wrote me back in about an hour. I was quite surprised with the speed of the contact, considering they're 45-50 days out on holsters right now. I've had 2 RCS Phantom LCs so far, with another one ordered, but I can't say I've ever tried to wear on IWB. I never had to, they hide my Sig 229 w/ TLR-1 easy enough with a sweatshirt, sweater or a button up shirt. A T-shirt, obviously, is a no-go, but I'm not much on the baggy shirt look, so a t-shirt on me wouldn't hide an IWB any better. If it's hot out, I just throw on a light button up shirt if I'm going anywhere.
    The belt loops seem big, but with the curve in the holster, it would put a lot more stress on them if they were any smaller. There isn't any flop, or movement, that's for sure. Of the holsters I've tried, I like the Ravens the best.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I tried one out for a G19 a few years ago, and I did not like it at all. I tried all the attachments but could not conceal my G19 worth a flip. With that said, everything from Raven is well made, and they are great to deal with.
    My exact issues as well, went to CCC Looper instead, but as far as any other role IWB excluded Phantom is great.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdoski View Post
    I tried the Raven for OWB use, having been told repeatedly that it concealed just as well as a good leather pancake. It doesn't.
    Agreed. It's not even close.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    I don't care for leather IWB as it tends to flatten without the gun in there (even the good ones).
    Not this one:

FIST #20

Stays open no matter what. I think the secret is that it is made of slightly thicker leather, and most importantly, it is not two pieces of leather sewn together over a pistol but a single piece of leather wrapped around the front (top) of the pistol and closed by seams at the bottom (rear). On top the mouth reinforcement really does help. It is basically an Askins Avenger set up for IWB.

You'd have to crush it with your entire body weight for it to collapse.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-15-10 at 19:48.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Leather, and reinforced leather especially, is too thick for guns like the Glock IMHO. I carry in a Raven IWB with the kydex over hooks every day I am legally allowed.

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast