Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Hanks insults our troops in Pacific interview

Feedback Score

Tom Hanks insults our troops in Pacific interview

Selwyn Duke is always good for a commentary:

http://selwynduke.typepad.com/selwyn...d-history.html

It's ok, Tom, I don't have to watch your series.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/tom-...l-war-comments

Tom Hanks controversial war comments
    HBO miniseries "The Pacific” starts Sunday
    Updated: Friday, 12 Mar 2010, 9:34 AM CST
    Published : Thursday, 11 Mar 2010, 9:24 PM CST

Kip Raley
    MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - Tom Hanks is catching some flack after making some controversial comments to TIME magazine. Hanks was interviewed about the upcoming World War II miniseries "The Pacific”.

Hanks is on the cover of the magazine, which hits newsstands Friday. The article comes out just two days before the premiere of the HBO miniseries.

Hanks is an executive producer of the series. In his interview with TIME, Hanks said he wants Americans to understand the good and the bad of American history.

Hanks told the magazine, “Certainly, we wanted to honor U.S. bravery in 'The Pacific', but we also wanted to have people say, ‘We didn’t know our troops did that to Japanese people.’”

Hanks went on to say that he believes there are similarities between World War II and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as ‘yellow, slant-eyed dogs’ that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar by any chance, to what’s going on today?” Hanks said.

When Hanks was asked about the miniseries earlier this week he said, “The war in the Pacific was a war of terror and racism, of suicide attacks. Both sides viewed the other side as being subhuman dogs from a civilization that didn’t recognize the advancement of human kind. Sound familiar? Sound like something that might be going on?”

The ten-part HBO miniseries starts Sunday. It highlights battles on Guadalcanal, Peleliu, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. Mobile natives Dr. Sid Phillips and the late Eugene Sledge are central characters in the series.
    Huh, you mean like killing thousands of POW's? Or raping and slaughtering hundreds of thousands of Chinese in a captured city? Or genital mutilation? Or treating women worse than most people treat their dogs? Like bombing people because they believe only 90% of what you believe? Oh, sorry, Tom, I didn't mean to look at people like that as not recognizing the advancement of human kind.

Here's contact info:

http://famous-relationships.topsyner...ks/Contact.asp

I haven't verified the contact info.

At least there's been a positive response:
    http://www.atomicnerds.com/?p=3319
    Last edited by JonnyVain; 03-26-10 at 08:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another relativist libtard.

Forrest Gump was autobiographical.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    I shudder to think what would happen if we had to fight the Wehrmacht and the Imperial Japanese Army with our current "leadership".

Would we see Democrats flying to Berlin to condemn American "imperialism", and praising Germany's health care system....
    Last edited by GermanSynergy; 03-15-10 at 21:37.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Not to in any way defend what he said, but my grandfather who served in the Pacific felt that way about Japanese people up till the day he died.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Not to in any way defend what he said, but my grandfather who served in the Pacific felt that way about Japanese people up till the day he died.

yeah...i have to concur with this...my grandfather was a Marine from 1938-1975...he too, um, felt very strongly about the Japanese
    VA Arms Co alumnus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    But, the point is, that is not the reason we went to war against the Japanese. They attacked us.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Would we see Democrats flying to Berlin to condemn American "imperialism", and praising Germany's health care system....
    Actually, there were some significant Americans in the 1930s who did exactly that and urged Roosevelt to sign a neutrality agreement with Germany. Anyone remember Charles Lindbergh?
    Ron

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rljatl View Post
    But, the point is, that is not the reason we went to war against the Japanese. They attacked us.
    They attacked us because we provoked them to do so and gave them little alternative. We provoked them in an effort to disrupt and impair their ability to carry out brutal military aggression against other yellow people who couldn't defend themselves. The history of WWII did not start on December 7, 1941.
    Ron

Feedback Score
    Hanks is a superficially thinking fool that mistakes dehumanizing one's enemy, in order to facilitate that enemy's destruction, with racism. If the US was "racist" against Asians, then how would Hanks explain the fact that we had other Asians as allies, for example the Chinese.

Hanks and the rest of the Hollywood retards need to understand that when one is in a killing war with an enemy, in a fight to the death, it is not conducive to one's survival, let alone victory, to view that enemy as a beautiful and luminous human being. Instead you see him as the dirty subhuman animal that he is, who will tear our head off, reach down the neck hole, and eat our heart raw.

War is kill or be killed, in the most graphic, lurid, crass, and uncivilized manner that one can think of, and if we should fight it thinking any differently, the enemy will be the one dancing on our carcass and rejoicing the killing of the infidel pig ape.

But, Hanks is a man, that, plays pretend. Kind of hard to take a man that makes a living playing as a child would, too seriously.
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    I don't know how wrong he is, most WW2 vets I've ever heard talk about it didn't think kindly of the Japanese people. And the Japanese didn't think kindly of us. Hell they where willing to kill their children from fear of the evil Americans. We did target and kill about 200,000 civilians (Don't see that happening ever again) so maybe they had some justification in that fear .

So I don't think we though to highly of them at the time. I'm pretty sure the same happens in every war, or else you wouldn't be at war.

It was a horrible war millions died and I'm sure all sides hated each other plenty.

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast