Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul MOE makeover goes horribly wronge! *VIDEO ADDED!*

Feedback Score

Magpul MOE makeover goes horribly wronge! *VIDEO ADDED!*

Being that I must be a complete idiot, I have to ask a question....

Is it possable that Magpul placed a non .mil stock into a box marked for a .mil stock?

I ordered a Magpul MOE set in Foilage Green to dress up my rifle rather than try to paint things.

The MOE stock I got was in a box maked Military style as was the invoice.... and since the .mil style is the largest of the two, I knew that it would fit too loose if my Charles Daly Defense was a civi buffer tube, or fit just right if it was a .mil spec buffer tube. I also know that my Stag is a .mil buffer tube, so if it fits loose, I just dress out the Stag first and then order the MOE parts for the CDD in non .mil next week!

So I removed the OEM CDD stock and went to put the .mil Magpul on.... and she was snug as hell to get to start! I got it started about a half inch and decided that I am not getting anywhere fighting it by hand in the kitchen here so I went down to the shop (concrete floors) and I knelt down, I then pulled the pin all the down on the MOE stock release lever and took the rifle and grenaded that son of a bitch into the concrete stock first... thinking it would go on and get past this odd tight spot. Nope. It went on another inch or so.

O.O

Now I'm starting to get:
    1) Pissed off
    2) Myself in trouble

So I thought I would pull it off by hand. Nope, this SOB is on there good. (Come inside my head for a second!)...... Maybe it needs to be forced all the way on and then it will loosen up and work normal, yea, that must be it.... it is a .mil stock, it said it on the box and invoice... it has to be a .mil stock! Hit it harder, get it on! So I grenaded that son of a gun 3 or 4 more times and got it all the way on... and boy, she is tight!

So after realizing that this thing is likely not going to come off without a dremel to cut it off..... I got semi serious. I grabbed a strap and tied one end to the ball on my truck and the other end I tied to the MOE stock. I jerked and yanked on this think like I was fighting for my life.... not a fraction of an inch of movement. Nothing.

This next paragraph is my minds next logical move before employing power tools to remove/destroy the MOE stock.....

So I think tonight I will use the 4,000 LB Warn winch on my Yamaha Rhino and attach the winch to the MOE and somehow secure the riffle to the truck and commence to pull with the winch. I'm going to go ahead and assume that by the time this is over, I will have at a minimum destroyed the Magpul MOE stock, maybe some part of the rifle along with it. Nothing I can do at this point but get it off some way and recover in whatever way is necesary.

Then I guess I buy another .mil MOE stock and see what I get! Next time I'll measure first, grenade things later!

Just to verify:
    This is unusual right? I have never removed and replaced a stock...
    I take it that I could have gotten a civilian spec stock in a .mil spec box and forced the civi stock onto a mil spec buffer tube. Would that be tighter than all get out? Because this is tighter than hell!
    Should I video using the winch to somehow pull the stock off of the buffer tube? I may as well have fun with this now, I have completely hosed up at this point.

Picture of the great looking MOE set up... with the permanently attached MOE stock...LOL!

Last edited by larry0071; 03-17-10 at 21:45.
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    .... and since the .mil style is the largest of the two...
    I'm a little confused, so excuse me if I'm misreading your post. The mil-spec receiver extension is actually the smaller of the two. It sounds to me like you may have forced a mil-spec stock onto a commercial-spec receiver extension.

See here: http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/Bu...tock_Specs.jpg

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Video!!! Haha.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    Oh... shit.

I ASSumed that the .mil was the larger/stronger tube.

Damn it, I should have read the paperwork that came with the stock. I hate reading instructions, but dang... it does not make sense that the mil version is the smaller! So, that is the deal, the CDD must not be a mil spec buffer tube and my rationalization of the size with no reading the facts led me to act a fool.

Well, now I need to get the thing off.

It does look pretty good though, huh? I like the MOE stuff, looks nice and the feel of the heat gaurd over the OEM black round heat gaurd is much better.

Feedback Score
    Which CDD model do you have? I think it was something like(I might have the model designations wrong though) the CDDM4 had a commercial RE while the CDDM4LE had a milspec RE.

Feedback Score
    You are correct that I have the CD-DM4, not the CD-DM4LE.

Feedback Score
    I added a Magpul MOE stock to my rifle last year. I confirmed the size before ordering and slipped it on the buffer tube with just my fingers. It was very easy to do. Sorry you had such a difficult time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thprofession47 View Post
    Sorry you had such a difficult time.
    LOL!!!

No sorry, I was in a hurry, excited, and well.... there may have been some beer involved leading up to the decision making process that got me to this point. I'm more amused at this point now that I know that it was packaged correctly and installed by a baffoon! Yes, the primate in question would be me!

Now I get to turn the bad string of choices into something interesting as I try to remove it as colorfully as I can.... with a winch!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I say sell it on TOS as a fixed stock to someone in a ban state. I expect that it is now "fixed" and you will not be able to remove it...

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast